Sky Wings in Red Deer

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

penguin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Sky Wings in Red Deer

Post by penguin »

I recently went to Sky Wings here at the Red Deer, AB airport to apply for a job. I don't have my inst. rating but I was hoping for dispatch or ramp, but they told me I should get my inst with them, and then they can give me a job. I'm willing to do this if I can come up with the $$, but I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with S.W. See, I'm just a little worried I'll drop $7000 on a rating and have no job and even more debt to worry about. I'm well aware it's a gamble anyway but I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about S.W.'s level of bs.
---------- ADS -----------

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

As far as I know they have the air cadet contract again this summer. That being the case they'll probably need instructors to do it. Food for thought.

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

I don't know them, but how is that statement different from "Buy your own PPC" or "hand over 30k" it's the same idea. INVEST. Besides, I seriously doubt those cadets will learn IFR stuff.

Timing is everything.
Pugster
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Pugster »

It depends.

If you mean instructor rating - then it's standard practice. If you mean instrument rating, I agree with the previous post.

Pugster

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Penguin - just make sure you get the job guarantee in writing. I don't know of any FTUs that will guarantee you a job before you take the training. And it sounds like you didn't do your PPL or CPL there so you have no history or connection with them.

I'm not suggesting there is anything shady going on as I don't have any firsthand knowledge about them at all, but I would strongly advise being cautious.

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

Tango I can pretty much guarantee you they were talking about an instructor rating, not an instrument rating. Their charter fleet is too small for them to hire someone on the basis of the latter.

Flyin' Hi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flyin' Hi »

AVOID SKYWINGS, STAY AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE. Talk to anyone who has trained there or worked there, good luck finding anyone with anything good to say. This is coming from someone who trained there and worked there. You do not want to have anything to do with them. If you do decide to go there, please put up a post in avcanada in a few months with your opinions of what you think of Skywings then.

krispykreme
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by krispykreme »

Last edited by krispykreme on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Duster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Duster »

krispykreme
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by krispykreme »

Last edited by krispykreme on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

Pyjamas?? Gee don't you think you're exaggerating just a wee bit there? If you've got an issue fine, but you destroy your own credibility making ridiculous claims like that. Not to mention the fact that your grand total of two posts both against Sky Wings and both how can I put it? Patently stupid, make me suspect you're just someone with an axe to grind and not one to be taken seriously.

krispykreme
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by krispykreme »

Actually I am telling the truth, she was in pajamas!!

PM me if you want more details.

I am posting this under a "new" name to keep my other name untouched..

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

What's the word I'm looking for? Oh yeah, umm bullshit. I know the girl in question and while I've seen her do some amazingly dumb things, going to work in pyjamas wasn't one of them. Of course I haven't seen her in months so it's possible she wears them at her new job; I have no idea about that. :roll:

Quote:"I am posting this under a "new" name to keep my other name untouched.."

In other words, you're deliberately trying to sewer someone and don't want to get banned under your regular name and/or found out. Gutsy move. :smt018

swords1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Skywings Okotoks

Post by swords1 »

Yes, I agree, I have been to Okotoks in the past and really regret it.
The staff appear totally lazy and uninterested, the aircraft were rather tatty. Customer service is or at least was totally non existent. This was a few years ago, dont know if things have changed down there.

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

As I mentioned, the individual you're both talking about is long gone; give it a rest already. The airplanes are typical mid seventies 172's; probably no better or worse than any other training aircraft of that vintage. It's the usual problem with any school, people/students are just renting them so they don't give a damn what they do to the interiors; I've seen the same thing in aircraft in BC, aircraft in Ontario anywhere you go. They get used and abused; then some clown bitches they're too ratty. :roll: News flash, airplanes wouldn't get ratty if you idiots would stop abusing them!

Don't know why I'm wasting my breath; it's not like anybody's going to actually listen and look after somebody else's airplane after all. :wallbash:

homerj
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by homerj »

I know, people should look after planes!

This summer I saw some idiot land a 310 downwind at Rocky when we had the Aerobatic competion on,, one of the engines idled out, and he tried to start it over and over on the runway,, not only did he tie up the competition, but most likely he burnt out the starter!

I had to sit in the Extra for 14 mins for him to clear!!

He was the laughing stock of the day!

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

And renters still want to know why a 172 costs $110 an hour! :roll:

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
meow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by meow »

[quote="shitdisturber"]Don't know why I'm wasting my breath;
WOW.. CHELAX.... Whenever you post something i get worried that you're gonna get heart attack.... Just learn to relax...

let's go somewhere far.....
penguin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by penguin »

Thanks for the input guys. I've got some more research to do before I make my decision and I'll definitely be paying a visit or two to the school to check things out. And for the record I was talking about the instructor rating. I'd still appreciate any more opinions from people who've been to Sky Wings. I'd really like to hear from someone who had a positive experience just for comparison. Thanks again.

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

Penguin, your best bet is to go there and have a look for yourself and make your decision based on that; for that matter, go more than once and see if your second impression matches your first. Good or bad.

Not that I'd want to imply that the negativity on this thread is from a pathetic loser with an axe to grind but there seems to be an awful lot of one post wonders on it.

Return to “Flight Training”