Flight Security-threads merged

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: The Terrorist Have Won!

Post by Jaques Strappe »

President Obama is on CNN right now giving a speech in response to this latest attack and has somehow turned the subject to Iran.

Am I the only one who has that Deja Vu feeling?

Perhaps if the U.S stopped shitting all over the planet, they wouldn't have so many enemies.
---------- ADS -----------

Standby for new atis message
MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by MUSKEG »

Sad to say but these terrorists are enemies of anyone who doesn't think like them. I guess I'm an enemy then. Really don't know why. It has little to do with the USA. Just a real easy scapgoat.

Finn47
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Finn47 »

Some islamists (?) are claiming responsibility for the incident, though it´s rather easy to do so afterwards:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/12/28/air ... index.html

GForce
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GForce »

It is important that everyone realizes that it is not a backpack full of explosives that is being missed at security checks. I am not going to post the video myself because too many on here would blame me for showing how to make the same type of bomb that this particular terrorist most likely used. Google it yourself and see that we are dealing with something that is going to cause a lot of problems in this world. Google this: binary explosives video and see for yourself.

G

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

MUSKEG wrote:I agree they are a pain in the ass, however if one of your family was on an aircraft that was blown up in flight because someone else thought security was a pain in the ass how loud would you be screaming then.
..................................I thought so. I realize it's not perfect but it is hard to argue with the success thats happening. Whether the other side is trying real hard is anybodies guess.
I wouldn't be screaming at all. I have flown on airlines with no security and given the choice, I would do so every time. Not everyone is willing to hand over control of their life for the illusion of security. Please don't assume that everyone is as terrified of the world as you are.

Think about how much money is being spent. Think of the actual benefit. Don't you think that money could benefit Canada or the world far more by being spent on something else?

Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Go Guns »

Just a quick update

The requirement to be seated for the last hour is gone, as well as the requirement to stow all your stuff. WestJet has their liveTVs back so as far as inflight things are basically back to the way they were.

On the ground you're still checking in only one small carry on and you can expect a good groping before you board... Some people may see that as a bonus. :D

balfour
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by balfour »

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

Wow. :shock: Now how do we go about detecting something like that?. Scary stuff.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

ahramin wrote:
MUSKEG wrote:I agree they are a pain in the ass, however if one of your family was on an aircraft that was blown up in flight because someone else thought security was a pain in the ass how loud would you be screaming then.
..................................I thought so. I realize it's not perfect but it is hard to argue with the success thats happening. Whether the other side is trying real hard is anybodies guess.
I wouldn't be screaming at all. I have flown on airlines with no security and given the choice, I would do so every time. Not everyone is willing to hand over control of their life for the illusion of security. Please don't assume that everyone is as terrified of the world as you are.

Think about how much money is being spent. Think of the actual benefit. Don't you think that money could benefit Canada or the world far more by being spent on something else?
Totally agree with you, ahramin! If some scumbag REALLY wants to blow up an airplane, he's gonna blow up an airplane! No amount of MICKEY MOUSE security personal at any airport is going to be able to stop him. IF he's really serious, and doesn't mind "going down with the ship...."!
Toss the whole security thing out the window, and spend the money where it'll do some good.

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

The only good thing about the retardedness of the last few days of air travel is that we as passengers have a common ground on which to break the ice.

Thank goodness for the hot chick's resinating from Texas and the free booze's in AC lounges....

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
_dwj_
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by _dwj_ »

flyinthebug wrote:
Wow. :shock: Now how do we go about detecting something like that?. Scary stuff.
I don't think you need to worry - the video is fake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9dIGs8dFcs

ywgflyboy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Flight Security-threads merged

Post by ywgflyboy »

I do not disagree with this weeks restricted carry on baggage at all. Nothing is a bigger joke to me than watching someone try and cram an over sized bag into the overhead compartment. If its not a lap top, or a purse, it should be checked. Personal opinions aside, a question came to mind that I would like some input on.

Does anyone know what percent or how checked bags are searched. I recently heard a figure that only 5% of checked bags in Canada received any sort of security check and that mail/packages receive almost nil.

The above statement is purely from what I have heard word of mouth and I would just like some proper information on the matter if anyone knows actual policy etc.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Flight Security

Post by xsbank »

Its all well and good to talk about checking baggage but a buddy of mine just went to Peru over Xmas with his son and his checked baggage is in New York.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
ywgflyboy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ywgflyboy »

I am going to make the assumption that if him and his son were going to Peru they would have a little more than allowable sized carry on baggage anyways.

black hole
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by black hole »

Just a twist

What does a guy that is planning to blow up the plane, take as baggage? Does he take a full suitcase and check it, (just in case he chickens) or just a carry-on with his tools of the trade?

BH

ywgflyboy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ywgflyboy »

black hole wrote:Just a twist

What does a guy that is planning to blow up the plane, take as baggage? Does he take a full suitcase and check it, (just in case he chickens) or just a carry-on with his tools of the trade?

BH
You pose an interesting question! haha. :rolleyes:

jeff_w_yeg
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jeff_w_yeg »

I think about this all the time and what upsets me is that our government seems to rely on passenger screening when in reality, a suicide bomber could have explosives hidden in their stomachs on a timer. How is a CATSA or TSA person going to detect that?
I've often wondered this myself. And how long before some extremist decides to blow themselves up in a security line-up? Based on the size/length of the line-up's there's a good chance that hundreds of people would be killed.

And one more question: why all the restrictions on the LAST hour of flight? What about the guy who decides to blow themselves up in the FIRST hour? Or even while the aircraft is still on the ground or at the gate?

And I just read on the CNN website that it's believed the device this guy tried to use was sewn into his underwear. Will they ban underwear next?

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

jeff_w_yeg wrote: And one more question: why all the restrictions on the LAST hour of flight? What about the guy who decides to blow themselves up in the FIRST hour? Or even while the aircraft is still on the ground or at the gate?
During the last hour of the flight, you are more likely to be close to some denser population and lower. I think that's the logic. You would kill more people. This is a balance between some comfort in the plane while in flight and security.

Going for the deck at corner
AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT »

This really stretches credability. They expect a terrorist NOT to blow himself up at certain times because CATSA makes a rule. Who dreams up this nonsense???

balfour
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by balfour »

I think we should all start to worry about the people loading bags ect. on the planes rather than the people getting on. There are MAJOR gaps in security on the ramp. All these guys would need to do is get a job/redpass and put a device in the hold. By the looks of some of these people, I wouldn't put it past them. This whole thing is a fucking joke.

Return to “General Comments”