Flight Security-threads merged

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

lilfssister
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Flight Security

Post by lilfssister »

arictaylor wrote:If its not a lap top, or a purse, it should be checked.
prescription drugs/insulin/hypos?
baby formula/breast milk/diapers?
expensive camera equipment?
expensive jewelery?
reading material?
personal pillows/blankets?
work related documents not on computer?
etc.?
---------- ADS -----------

Flying Nutcracker
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: The Terrorist Have Won!

Post by Flying Nutcracker »

Don't see what all the fuzz is about... We don't want terrorists flying... Interim regulations while we figure out the new ones... We all get so frazzled when our "convenience" is inconvenienced that it scares me just as much as the terrorists! Boohoo!!! "I can't bring a carry on with me!!! This is going to RUIN my MOOD!!! My life is Worthless!!!".

Profiling +1! But I might be without a job when they do mine!!! :lol:

The flying public has won by making the airline industry "adapt" to its needs, to the point where everybody is expecting to be able to cheat the system... including the terrorists! :idea:

Flybaby
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Flybaby »

I always say your checked bag should safely survive a one story drop. Anything that won't, carry it on, if you can.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

What have the terrorists won ?

Did they "Win a pig" :mrgreen:

confuzed
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by confuzed »

Profiling people to travel...interesting.

What's next, insisting on a microchip in everyone's hand a la New World Order just so they can commute to work?

It's pretty sad when hardworking honest people have to be treated like terrorists themselves just to go on a routine flight. It's also interesting in that don't you notice every few years when everyone seems to be getting more comfortable with the world and the level of fear has dropped a bit, something always seems to pop up to instill that fear again? The entire Western civilization is nothing but one that continually looks over their shoulders in fear......I agree, the terrorists have already won.

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by MUSKEG »

confused......... In light of your comments regarding honest hardworking people being treated like terrorists, what is your view on the gun control law now. CATSA falls into the same catagory as the gun control law. Targets the wrong people and is a colossal waste of money. And by the way Doc, if you knew me you would probably not have labeled me as scared but whatever. What I did say is that when you argue with these people they will point at the fact that nothing has happened on their watch since 911. They consider that a success. Maybe that wasn't as clear as it sounded in my head.

_dwj_
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by _dwj_ »

AuxBatOn wrote:
During the last hour of the flight, you are more likely to be close to some denser population and lower. I think that's the logic. You would kill more people. This is a balance between some comfort in the plane while in flight and security.
And if you're low there will be no explosive decompression, and therefore the plane will likely not be destroyed.

confuzed
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by confuzed »

MUSKEG wrote:confused......... In light of your comments regarding honest hardworking people being treated like terrorists, what is your view on the gun control law now. CATSA falls into the same catagory as the gun control law. Targets the wrong people and is a colossal waste of money. And by the way Doc, if you knew me you would probably not have labeled me as scared but whatever. What I did say is that when you argue with these people they will point at the fact that nothing has happened on their watch since 911. They consider that a success. Maybe that wasn't as clear as it sounded in my head.
My thoughts on the gun control law......well, words do not describe how I feel about that. Well no words that I can use and still seem like a nice person anyway, haha. Being a gun owner and an avid hunter (when time allows it of course) I agree that it was a huge waste of time and money. Gun crimes have gone up, but let's punish those who abide by the rules and attain their firearms legally. Sigh, when will the general population learn to stand up for themselves?

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
canwhitewolf
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by canwhitewolf »

Journalist - Detroit jet terrorist attack was staged

http://rt.com/Politics/2009-12-29/detro ... -fake.html

Finn47
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Finn47 »

Some cabin crew members have been watching too much TV :roll:
Passengers on international flights over the weekend said that, in addition to being confined to their seats for the last hour of the trip, they weren't allowed to open overhead bins or use personal electronic devices or blankets, and were told to keep their hands where crew members could see them.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-a ... 3505.story

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Just landed in socal from YVR. Last hour was nothing special.
Except, why the hell is the rj so freaking cold? We couldn't use our jackets as blankets.

Good thing the scotch was flowing to keep me warm.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Go Guns »

Except, why the hell is the rj so freaking cold? We couldn't use our jackets as blankets.
Controlled up in the front, let the f/a know next time and we'll bump it up.

Something I came across.

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Yep, let her know. Both the purser and el capitan.
Purser was in her overcoat te last hour and a half.

The effo was pretty cute too, but just like drugs say no to dating pilots!

Semper Fidelis
Youngback
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Youngback »

Ahramin, you surprise me. The difference between a train or a bus and an airplane is quite different. You don't see terrorists, or even the engineers jumping the tracks at will to kill people. Even a bus is fairly limited as to how many people it can injure. The risks to the greater population from an airliner with no security checks are so great that it will never happen. Not in North America or Europe at least.

If your comment was tongue in cheek, I didn't get it.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Youngback wrote:Ahramin, you surprise me. The difference between a train or a bus and an airplane is quite different. You don't see terrorists, or even the engineers jumping the tracks at will to kill people. Even a bus is fairly limited as to how many people it can injure. The risks to the greater population from an airliner with no security checks are so great that it will never happen. Not in North America or Europe at least.

If your comment was tongue in cheek, I didn't get it.
That's the "cool aid" the government wants you to drink. Me? I'm driving. Screw 'em.

Youngback
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Youngback »

Well if the general population wants to travel in what is essentially a cruise missile, then they go through the checks. I don't personally have a problem being checked. It is annoying but screens the most common tools used by anyone wanting to hijack an airplane. Where I am flying now, I have been brought guns, knives, and in one case explosives by the police to see if I will allow it on the aircraft. The guns and knives I keep until we get to where we are going. Obviously the explosives are staying behind.

The problem with humans is that they are very creative. Any security system can be bypassed with enough time and thought. That doesn't mean that we should give up and they shouldn't screen passengers. It just means we have to adapt. If screening keeps 99% of the crazy people (who lack creativity) from hijacking a plane then I would say it is successful. However, as long as there are airplanes in this world, there are going to be those who try and hijack them.

The other side of this is that maybe the airlines should issue you a gun when you board the aircraft. That way, if you attempt to hijack the aircraft, there could be 499 other people there to stop you. Then everyone could stop bitching about security because now it is fully in your (and everyone elses )capable hands. There might be a few unfortunate deaths from handling mishaps, but hey, the airlines are safe!

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

The goal of terrorist's isn't to kill thousands and thousands of people in one bang. It's simply to get attention to their cause.

There have been many, many bombings on a bus, also many, many train stations have been bombed as well.

So, he really isn't out to lunch when he says you don't have the right for air travel.

Semper Fidelis
Youngback
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Youngback »

Nark, I understand that. But they don't screen to get on a bus or into a train station. I know what happened in Mumbai last year. My only point is that there is a reason for screening air travellers. A bomb in a train station will kill or injure those in the immediate vicinity. I don't think I need to mention what an airplane can be used for.

Also, it is not always about a cause. Some people just want to kill. It might seem a bit cliche but the Michael Caine quote from The Dark Knight seems appropriate. "Some men just want to watch the world burn". Religious fanaticism, mentally imbalanced people, sometimes people you would think were perfectly rational. You might think its all about a cause but not everyone thinks in what you and I would consider normal terms. I met a guy in Malaysia a few years ago who was spouting his views to me. Raised the hairs on my spine listening to what he was saying.

ywgflyboy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ywgflyboy »

So obviously we have different personal thoughts on carry on. But i will assume that no one knows the answer to my checked bag security question.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Last edited by JBI on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Comments”