How do I get a flying job as soon as possible?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Rank 1

How do I get a flying job as soon as possible?

Post by Ville »

Howdy!
New to this forum and hoping to get some advice. I'll be completing my Multi IRF this summer and hoping to get flying... (like all of us low timers)
What do you guys recommend would be the best way to get into a flying job?
I also have a family and would like to either move with them or not be gone too much from home if possible. What are my options?
Cheers!
---------- ADS -----------

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: How do I get a flying job as soon as possible?

Post by Tango01 »

I don't know, but when you find out, please let me know.

Timing is everything.
FlaplessDork
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlaplessDork »

Invest in a good set of knee pads.

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

FlaplessDork wrote:Invest in a good set of knee pads.
:lol:

Timing is everything.
av8tor_assrope
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by av8tor_assrope »

Target a few companies you’d like to work for and then just bug the shit out of them. Be realistic (ie. don’t expect left seat in a dash 8 with 250 tt) be persistent and most of all be patient. Good things come to those who wait. Eventually when things start moving again and companies start looking for guys, they’ll remember you as oppose to the dozens of guys who just emailed their resume once.

Good luck.

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

+1 aviator assrope. I'm experiencing what he says with a few companies. It's actually cool cause you find out all those oldies love to talk about planes !

Just about "bugging" the crap out of them... make sure you're not an annoyance, but the polite kid who's ambitious.

Rank 1

Post by Ville »

Thanks assrope. Will probably do just that. You guys also know any good commuters or other companies that have low time pilot pools?
Do guys always work for a company on a ramp while waiting for an opening, or just work out of the industry in any old job and keep dropping by to bug them about work?

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Ville wrote:Thanks assrope. Will probably do just that. You guys also know any good commuters or other companies that have low time pilot pools?
Do guys always work for a company on a ramp while waiting for an opening, or just work out of the industry in any old job and keep dropping by to bug them about work?
When times were good, 250 hour wads were going from seneca college into the right seat of a jazz CRJ200, so imagine what kind of job the 250 hour wad out of a private flight school could find. Mind you the jazz gig was only a few people, but just goes to tell you how the industry was before.

Right now, you will most likely expect some "entry" level job.

av8tor_assrope
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by av8tor_assrope »

I did exactly that ville. My advice (taken with a grain of salt of course) would be to try and take any job you could find in aviation (Ie. Ramp, dispatch, secretary, ect) and while you’re working just start harassing companies. That’s how I landed my first right seat gig. I was waiting in line for a seat on the ramp, but every few weeks I was keeping in touch with the few companies I really wanted to work for. Eventually it paid off and I got hired by one of the companies I was staying in touch with.

Good luck guys.

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Ville wrote:Howdy!
New to this forum and hoping to get some advice. I'll be completing my Multi IRF this summer and hoping to get flying... (like all of us low timers)
What do you guys recommend would be the best way to get into a flying job?
I also have a family and would like to either move with them or not be gone too much from home if possible. What are my options?
Cheers!
Try to be job ready and hunting now for the spring jobs, if you just finish your training in summer you'll be just in time for the slow season. Also, make sure they stamp "IFR" on your license at the end, a Multi IRF won't get you far in the industry :P

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
kevinsky18
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kevinsky18 »

+1 on Vertigos comments. You want to be done before spring so you can catch the spring hiring season. Summer might as well be winter.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Where do you live? And, are you willing to move? Are you an airline type, or would you be happy working away in some other niche (corporate, medevac, floats, fire etc.) all of those questions should be answered a little in your mind before you start thinking about the big questions like moving away from your family etc.. Generally, the further off the beaten path you go, the more likely you are to get hired, but you might not want to take your family there with you...

ps. One big piece of advice is to thoroughly vet your facebook photos! :lol:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

No kidding. Your facebook photos are as boring as sawdust, Northy. I would never hire you.

Seriously, give it a good hard think before deciding what "kind" of pilot you want to be. Many people have started out being thoroughly convinced they want to be a bush pilot, and wound up liking airline flying better. Or vice-versa. There is also a way to do both, and all sorts of other things.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

How can a 250 hour pilot who doesn't even know what VNAV means know if punching in cost index on the INIT page is what turns him on? Come on you guys lol...

Explore different sections of the industry and find your "niche." Plus, don't rush by trying to "make" the hiring season. Spend the NECESSARY time in training before you hunt for "flying jobs." But entry level, BE ON TOP of them :)

Those are my 300 hour worthy 2 cent advice. :smt040

ywgflyboy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ywgflyboy »

Sigh. I miss the 200hr Jazz right seat days! :lol:

Starting to see some spring postings. Most asking 1000+ though.

Rank 1

Post by Ville »

I was originally gonna do some bush flying, and am still not opposed to it, but right now I'm leaning towards commuters. I guess I should write IATRA as soon as I finish my multi IFR...

macbainz1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by macbainz1 »

Tango01 wrote:
FlaplessDork wrote:Invest in a good set of knee pads.
:lol:
Good. But not for from reality :goodman:

The spirit of human life comes from new experiences.
Jerry Lee
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jerry Lee »

Well, you could fly for paratroopers, for a company that makes aereal photos, tourists flights, corporate, sightings fires, agricoltural pilot, and also you can do a Flight Instructor.
As well you can read, there are some jobs that you can looking for.
Good luck!

Rank 1

Post by Ville »

What do you guys mean about the knee pads? Like brownnosing to companies?

Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Location: Holy Hell, is that what you look like in the morning

Post by Highflyinpilot »

brownosing not so much, keep thinking though :D

Return to “Flight Training”