Don't be a whore (help me respond to an email)

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Don't be a whore (help me respond to an email)

Post by Hedley »

*** edited ***
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Hedley on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NorthFlyer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NorthFlyer »

The Prof well put. Keep that attitude and you will have a great career.

LNAV+V
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LNAV+V »

The Prof wrote: I know this is what I want to do for the rest of my life, so if I have to bite the bullet for a year so be it.
I don't want to grill you too much. Took some balls to say what you did... especially on this site :rolleyes:.
However, "volunteering" (good euphemism) your time is not paying your dues in this industry. Your resume would look far nicer working your way from the ramp up than time building for a company that should be paying you.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

If your employer makes a profit so should you.

If you want to fly for free, do it for a charity.

If you can afford to work for free, you can afford to get a paying job and use the income to buy a share in a C150 and fly the crap out of it.
C150 - Price of a descent used car
Insurance -Less then a used car
Annual - Similar as a car
Gas - Same as your damn car

Work a paid job, live in Mom and Dad's basement, on your time off, fly around with resumes and hand deliver them. You'll get more experience then going up and down dropping jumpers on sunny 10 000' ceilings because you'll learn about looking after an aircraft and going on x-ctrys through out the year. When you land a job, sell the plane. This is why it is smart to get your own aircraft to do your CPL with in the first place but I digress.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

I have a business proposal, I'm going to start a fast food restaurant, and employ new CPLs. They'll work 60hrs/week for me for free (I'll feed em!)

After work they can clean my house, wash my car, walk my dog and mow the lawn in exchange for 10 hours / week of banner towing in my C172 advertising my company.

I'm seeking investors for this recession proof venture!

Edit: I don't need investors, I'll charge for a banner towing course to get me up and running!!!

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
B-rad
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by B-rad »

niss wrote:Dear Sir,

Thank you for your application to our company. It is true that we have positions available, these positions are given assuming you perform a Proficiency Checkout and training. We make this training available for the sum of $8000.00. If you do not have the means of raising these funds, I can put you in touch with a contact of mine in Nigeria. All you need to do is claim his inheritance (his father was the disposed King of Nigeria, due to the political circumstance he is unable to claim it himself) and send him the amount minus the $8000.00 you require for training.

Please be advised that our training regiment is the strictest around. We will make you one hell of a pilot. Your training regiment starts each morning with calisthenics where you are expected to be able to do one arm handstands while levitating rocks around you with your mind. After this exercise you will be expected to do a 2km run with a green midget strapped to your back. We expect our pilots to be available for anything at any time and our pilots must be ready both physically and mentally.

Your ground school classes will run for most of the day when you will sit in a room full of the other students and all the homo-erotic sexual tension you can stand. Remember there is no points for second place! You must always be your best.

After ground school there is more Physical Fitness in the form of beach volleyball. These volleyball sessions are mandatory as are the showers afterward. Again, these are full of homo-erotic sexual tension.

These ground school classes occur every other day. On the days you are not in the class you will be flying with your instructor. You are expected to display proper technique and proficiency in your stick and rudder skills as well as your professionalism on the radio. Clear communication is key always ask the tower before performing a flyby. With out sufficient warning tower members may spill coffee on themselves and "want some butts!" (see volleyball and showers above).

As mentioned above we will test you both physically and mentally. Half way through your training session we will inexplicably kill your First Officer. This is both to prepare you for how to deal with the aircraft single crew as well as see how you are capable of handling the stress. Our resident nurse Kelly McGillis is on standby should you need someone to help you get through the loss of your FO.

As part of our psychological training you will also be locked in a theater constantly playing scenes from the 1930's war epic Hells Angles. You will stay in this room for a few days where you will receive chocolate chip cookies and bottles of milk for sustenance. Please relieve yourself in the empty bottles of milk (helpful tip for long flight! We cannot afford a delay just because you have to pee.)

Should you pass our training regiment you will be awarded a set of cloth wings (at your expense $9.99) that are to be sewn to your company provided (at your expense $499.00) leather jacket. Please be advised that this be worn at all times along with large aviator style glasses, a timepiece (able to tell time not necessary), black pants, white shirt with captain bars, and a tie.

Once all this is complete you are considered sufficiently skilled to fly our fleet of Cessna 172s and Piper Cherokees. These aircraft are the best of the best. You will be assigned missions that will test your skills day to day. Just remember that as the PIC you are responsible for the aircraft, especially since we are no longer insurable so you are also financially responsible for the aircraft.

I hope to hear back from you shortly, our last crew died in a horrible plane vs. ground accident, but do not worry, this was not reported. We have a strict policy of maintaining our pilots dignity and reputation. In the (un)likely event that you perish while in our employ, our companies health benefits cover the cost of recovering your watch and sunglasses from the crater. Should these be too damaged to resell and cover the cost (YOUR COST see PIC aircraft responsibility above) of the aircraft these will be sent to your family via courier (collect).

Respectfully,

Invertago
Chief Pilot For Now
LMAO if it was me, I'd hope to get this one!! <---------My Vote!
Send him the link to this thread. It would offer him a greater spectrum of feedback.
Really good idea
Dear Edited,

Thank you for your interest in "company X". Yes we are currently looking for pilots or No we are not looking for pilots at this time(which ever applies). I admire your eagerness to fly so much that you are willing to work for free, however we feel that it is not in your best interest nor ours to allow you to do that. Please forward your resume for review. If you meet the qualifications we will contact you for an interview. Again thank you for your interest and good luck in your job search.

Company X
But this is seriously what I hope happens. This is what I would expect to see.

My ambition is to live forever - so far, so good!
B-rad
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by B-rad »

The Prof wrote:P.S. If anyone wants a 350TT SMELS Pilot pm me! Ill move anywhere, anytime! And im a damn hard worker! And a nice guy :)
Great! I like guys who work for free. With fall coming I need someone to help me with the yard. I'm not a big fan of working in the rain. How soon can you be here? and References?

Otherwise, I hear what your saying about regulating the training and I think a cool Idea would be if kenN Borek opened up a flight training division and would only hire from this pool of Pilots trained from the ground up with them. Kinda like military flying. I would bet that people would go to that school with a bunch of motivation,prove themselves, and actually get training that is tailored for the job. And you know what, I bet only as many jobs are available would graduate. How's that for keeping the Pilot surplus under control? who knows, training costs could reflect what they are actually worth. But this is just another save the (training) industry post in the wrong thread.

My ambition is to live forever - so far, so good!
Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

B-rad wrote:
The Prof wrote:P.S. If anyone wants a 350TT SMELS Pilot pm me! Ill move anywhere, anytime! And im a damn hard worker! And a nice guy :)
Great! I like guys who work for free. With fall coming I need someone to help me with the yard. I'm not a big fan of working in the rain. How soon can you be here? and References?

Otherwise, I hear what your saying about regulating the training and I think a cool Idea would be if kenN Borek opened up a flight training division and would only hire from this pool of Pilots trained from the ground up with them. Kinda like military flying. I would bet that people would go to that school with a bunch of motivation,prove themselves, and actually get training that is tailored for the job. And you know what, I bet only as many jobs are available would graduate. How's that for keeping the Pilot surplus under control? who knows, training costs could reflect what they are actually worth. But this is just another save the (training) industry post in the wrong thread.

If KBA started their own school with a job at the end, they could charge double the normal C172 dual rate. They could use that revenue to operate some pretty nice trainers and pay a decent wage to experienced senior KBA guys who want a change to the m-f 9-5 life style. They then have their own custom training suited to their operation, there is a retirement job for their senior guys and they own a profitable flight school. The students win because even if they paid double for their flight training, they get a job at the end that pays a wage from day 1. I would have paid double to do a 2 year KBA CPL with a starting job on graduation. I'd be further ahead now both experience and $ wise.

B-Rad, I think your suggestion is the best thing since sliced bread and the best solution I've heard for the CPL flight training system in Canada. Kinda sounds a little European with a Canadian twist.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Dear Edited,

Thank you for your interest in "company X". Yes we are currently looking for pilots or No we are not looking for pilots at this time(which ever applies). I admire your eagerness to fly so much that you are willing to work for free, however we feel that it is not in your best interest nor ours to allow you to do that. Please forward your resume for review. If you meet the qualifications we will contact you for an interview. Again thank you for your interest and good luck in your job search.

Company X
But this is seriously what I hope happens. This is what I would expect to see.[/quote]

Reply was sent, this was the one real life dictated he had to get, but the responses on the thread where rather entertaining. To Mr Edited *Names* credit at least he sent a properlly spellded leter with gooder gramer then mostest of the emails I gets.

definenormal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by definenormal »

Supply and demand pretty much covers it.....the harsh reality I'm afraid. We pilots get the industry we deserve.

(I digress, but don't 'whores' get renumerated for their services? Hell! I've come across some enthusiastic amatures that still managed to cost me a small fortune.......)

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

definenormal wrote:Supply and demand pretty much covers it.....the harsh reality I'm afraid. We pilots get the industry we deserve.

(I digress, but don't 'whores' get renumerated for their services? Hell! I've come across some enthusiastic amatures that still managed to cost me a small fortune.......)

But if you've got something they want, they'll pay ya for it. I charge $1000/hour... too bad its only ever a 2 minute work day.

GilletteNorth
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by GilletteNorth »

Invertago: I already considered that and...
If he can afford a CPL MIFR, and afford to work for free, he likely isn't coming from the lower $ income levels. The only people who can afford the training and work for free have $ behind them no matter which country you come from. Also, typically the richest people come from the poorest countries, (got rich off the backs of the poor, land of extremes, no middle class)
The Prof: To return to the topic of the thread, the guy just wants to fly. Understand where his motifs are coming from, and act accordingly.
Are you sure those ARE his motives? He's from Burma... Canada is a great country to get citizenship in... contrary to the beliefs of several Av Canadians.

Having a standard that pilots lose their licence after making a mistake despite doing no harm to aircraft or passengers means soon you needn't worry about a pilot surplus or pilots offering to fly for free. Where do you get your experience from?
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Just got to say a few things. First off if he's from Burma he couldn't get a job here. Were you planning on sponsoring him in? Second ever think that this is just another "nigerian prince" I would have chocked it up as fake and deleted it with the rest of the junk.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Is there any socially acceptable means for a newly minted PPL to volunteer?

I don't want to steal any jobs, I just want to see different types of flying and get into a different bird every now and again, but since I do not see myself switching careers to actually go and be a pilot for hire, my horizon for flying is kind of narrow.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
pika
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pika »

Canada is a great country to get citizenship in... contrary to the beliefs of several Av Canadians.
Now that Harper has closed the government for an extended holiday do you still feel the same?

You can interpret that however you would like.
Brewguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Brewguy »

niss wrote:Is there any socially acceptable means for a newly minted PPL to volunteer?

I don't want to steal any jobs, I just want to see different types of flying and get into a different bird every now and again, but since I do not see myself switching careers to actually go and be a pilot for hire, my horizon for flying is kind of narrow.
Yes, CASARA.

Although you likely won't get to fly right away. Most units want their pilot members to first train as navigators. Plus you'll probably need a minimum number of hours to get on their insurance.

Cheers,
Brew
niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Brewguy wrote:
niss wrote:Is there any socially acceptable means for a newly minted PPL to volunteer?

Yes, CASARA.

Although you likely won't get to fly right away. Most units want their pilot members to first train as navigators. Plus you'll probably need a minimum number of hours to get on their insurance.
None near by me unfortunately.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

The Prof wrote:I guess I could work at McDonalds instead, while I patiently wait for the economy to pick up?
Yeah and while you're at it work for free again...

People like you make me wanna puke.

Timing is everything.
Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Indanao »

Just another canuck wrote:Am I the only one who thinks you should give the poor guy a break and be honest with him... perhaps give him some much needed advice??

He is, after all, from Myanmar and is simply looking to break into an industry that he is obviously passionate about.

Send me his email address and I'll help him out if all you're going to do is shoot him down. He doesn't deserve that.
Just as a slight digression. They will not let Pilots Fly in the Philippines unless they are Philippine Citizens. It is almost impossible to become a Philippine Citizen. Very definite double standard.

But, they will hire a Filipino just out of school, train him to fly and make him F.O.. No experience at all. Very poor safety record...go figure. The Chief Instructor with Philippine Airlines was hired that way.

AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT »

When I was with CASARA it was no problem being the pilot if it was your plane. They even paid for the fuel for the exercises. The navigator is the hardest job.

Return to “General Comments”