How do I get a flying job as soon as possible?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

hairdo
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: How do I get a flying job as soon as possible?

Post by hairdo »

Ville wrote:I was originally gonna do some bush flying, and am still not opposed to it, but right now I'm leaning towards commuters. I guess I should write IATRA as soon as I finish my multi IFR...
And whom do you consider to be commuters? Cause if your definition of commuter is the same as TC's (704), it's not likely that you are going to get there with 200-250tt. Just being honest with ya. Unless, of course, you invest in those kneepads... :lol:
---------- ADS -----------

Gravity lands us, we just make it look good.
Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

The 250 hour pilot flying for "commuters" doesn't happen here (very often) I think he might be thinking this is like USA where you fly for regionals as soon as you come out of flight school.

Again, those kneepads could serve you well...

http://www.kneepads.com/

Timing is everything.
Rank 1

Post by Ville »

Not sure if I want to know how all you knee pad recommending guys got your jobs. Thanks to the rest of people who posted tips.

blockheater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by blockheater »

Ville wrote:Not sure if I want to know how all you knee pad recommending guys got your jobs. Thanks to the rest of people who posted tips.
If you can't take a bit of "industry humor", you won't last... We all got here by working our arses off and keeping a sense of humor!

Best asset to bring to your first job: strong back, weak mind. :mrgreen:

paydaymayday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by paydaymayday »

Listen to all you rat bastards recommending kneepads. Back in my day, we couldn't even do it on our knees, we had to be bent 90 degrees at the waist with our legs spread nice and wide! "Squeal like a pig!"

And Ville, I hate to break it to you, but you ain't gettin' on no commuter as a 200 hour wonder.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

paydaymayday wrote:Listen to all you rat bastards recommending kneepads. Back in my day, we couldn't even do it on our knees, we had to be bent 90 degrees at the waist with our legs spread nice and wide! "Squeal like a pig!"

And Ville, I hate to break it to you, but you ain't gettin' on no commuter as a 200 hour wonder.

:prayer: +1

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
Rank 1

Post by Ville »

Invertago wrote:
paydaymayday wrote:Listen to all you rat bastards recommending kneepads. Back in my day, we couldn't even do it on our knees, we had to be bent 90 degrees at the waist with our legs spread nice and wide! "Squeal like a pig!"

:prayer: +1
Where do you figure I can get on? I know sometimes they do have low time pilot pools for commuters and guys work on a ramp for a year or two and then get on.

blockheater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by blockheater »

Ville wrote:
Where do you figure I can get on? I know sometimes they do have low time pilot pools for commuters and guys work on a ramp for a year or two and then get on.

http://www.pilotcareercenter.com/AirCar ... .aspx?id=1

Go to town, apply your face off, go see some folks, keep bugging them, see them again... repeat.

If you get your foot in the door, don't tell them that you EXPECT a seat after a given amount of time. You have 200 hours... you're not entitled to s#it.

Betcha they didn't tell you that in flight school!

Rank 1

Post by Ville »

blockheater wrote:
Ville wrote:

http://www.pilotcareercenter.com/AirCar ... .aspx?id=1

Go to town, apply your face off, go see some folks, keep bugging them, see them again... repeat.

If you get your foot in the door, don't tell them that you EXPECT a seat after a given amount of time. You have 200 hours... you're not entitled to s#it.

Betcha they didn't tell you that in flight school!
Yeah, I was kind of guessing that would be the only way. So what you are saying is not to tell them that I expect a seat, because it's a given that you will get one at some point and it's better to let them call me out when they want to? I know what you are saying about my low hours. I guess it's just a matter of hopefully getting in with a company that will upgrade me faster rather than later.

Main Gear
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Main Gear »

If you are lucky enough to get a ramp job leading to a flying postion, you have to "forget about flying" and concentrate on your job at hand. I know several guys who got canned because they would spend all their time talking to the crews and leaving all the work to the other ramp guys....good way to piss off your co-workers. Some crews notice this as well. If you want to network and ask questions, go to the bar when the crews are there. The flying will come.

Never point your aircraft to some place your brain hasn't already been 5 minutes earlier.
Cougar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cougar »

GOOD point!

Nothing is more annoying than the guy who claims he wants the ramp (loading/cleaning/ fueling/whatever) job SO badly, then trots around trying to be a Velcro Pilot, sticking to every airplane and crew he sees.

IF you work hard, IF your word means anything, IF you have a good attitude, you WILL get what you want. Aviation is a tiny little world -- people you meet now, you may well be working with 25 years from now! Be a conscientious worker, and the rest will come.

I have so many examples of this, it would tip the server over if I wrote them all down. Just believe me on this one.

:goodman:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Ville, what pilot skills and experience do you have that would persuase an employer to upgrade you fast.

I can not think of anything more disturbing than a new pilot that thinks they should be upgraded fast.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Cougar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cougar »

Amen, Cat!!

Main Gear
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Main Gear »

Cat Driver wrote:Ville, what pilot skills and experience do you have that would persuase an employer to upgrade you fast.

I can not think of anything more disturbing than a new pilot that thinks they should be upgraded fast.

That's what I wanted to say but, in an indirect way. :wink:

Never point your aircraft to some place your brain hasn't already been 5 minutes earlier.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Main Gear wrote:
Cat Driver wrote:Ville, what pilot skills and experience do you have that would persuase an employer to upgrade you fast.

That's what I wanted to say but, in an indirect way. :wink:

From F/O to Captain? Agreed. From ramp to F/O? Give me a break! Some of us never did ramp...

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Main Gear
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Main Gear »

"Upgrade" probably isn't the correct word. If you decide to go the route of working the ramp leading to a flying position, do your job and the flying will come.

peakbagger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by peakbagger »

It sure isn't easy these days, but sticking to the cliche's can work wonders. Once you find that ramp/dock/dispatch job, work hard, keep a great attitude (No one likes to hear about how much you hate your job, we all did it!!) and try to enjoy the ride. If you throw enough sh*t at the wall and remain in the right place at the right time something will eventually come your way. As for getting that job and advancing to flying at a relatively good pace, moving to a northern aviation community may be your best bet. That may be tricky with your family, but I'll leave that to you.
Even if you havn't lined up a sure job, just moving somwhere with some movement and doing some networking (chugging beer) while your working another job could be the key. By no means is it easy, but its possible! Good Luck!

hew44
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hew44 »

Anything really is possible if your willing to work at it, and live where they want you. The only thing that scared me from a ramp job into instructing is job security.

Instructing you pay your own salary (which isent much depending on the school and time of year, but if your young without much to support it doesnt really matter) so your job is very secure. Ive never heard of guys getting canned from flight schools unless it was for something stupid on their part.

Where as with ramping, what i was worried about was getting into the job, working for a couple years with a small company, and then that company downsizing and getting rid of you. Its a horror story but i have heard it happen before, the worst thing is you come out of it with nothing, back at square one basically.

The only problem is instructing in the city means absolutely nothing to the companies up north. Now with 1200 + hours i find it HARDER to get a job. Compared to the three jobs i turned down when i had 200 hours. But i think i can blame that on the economy. Anyway its really important to consider these things, and think lots about the kind of flying you want to do.

Rank 1

Post by Ville »

Where can you get "pilot skills and experience"? Being on the right seat (or flying easy runs to start) gets my vote over working on the ramp/dock. Why is it disturbing to you that every pilot wants to actually start flying as soon as possible?

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Where can you get "pilot skills and experience"? Being on the right seat (or flying easy runs to start) gets my vote over working on the ramp/dock. Why is it disturbing to you that every pilot wants to actually start flying as soon as possible?
My comment was in response to this.
I know what you are saying about my low hours. I guess it's just a matter of hopefully getting in with a company that will upgrade me faster rather than later.
There is no such thing as fast upgrading in aviation.....or at least no real safe way to upgrade fast because it takes time to learn the job properly.

Does that explain my comment better? :mrgreen:

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

Return to “Flight Training”