Shortest Time to Solo

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Shortest Time to Solo

Post by Bede »

Question for you instructors: What is the lowest time you have sent someone solo in?

My answer: 5.5hrs. The guy flew once a week. Absolutely incredible- had to help him on one landing throughout the whole pre solo stage. I probably could have sent him solo in about 4, but did an extra flight to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Unfortunately, the guy had a family and couldn't afford any more flying so he had to quite.
---------- ADS -----------

razorblade
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Shortest Time to Solo

Post by razorblade »

One of my air cadets - 7.5 or something.
He passed his PPL flight test at 41 hrs too. I had to send him for 2 more hours of aimless sightseeing so he could get his license signed off.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

I took 8 hours to solo a tail dragger (Jodel) on a grass strip at 15 ;) but it had pretty much a stick, rudder pedals, ASI and altimeter and there was very little traffic on a huge grass strip so pretty simple. Instructor was an ex French Mirage pilot .. with a Texas-French accent if you can imagine that ;) .. good times ;)

Peter

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

How fast you solo is an utterly useless metric. The hard part in flying is not flying one circuit with the approval of, and under the watchfull eye of your instructor in close to perfect conditions, it is making the important in flight decisions all by yourself, including the most important one....when not to continue with your ftakeoff/flight/landing. How early you solo is IMO a poor predictor of the core PDM skills that make good pilots.

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

using this word
metric
with respect to anything in aviation is utterly useless.

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.
modi13
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by modi13 »

Strega wrote:using this word
metric
with respect to anything in aviation is utterly useless.
Not in Europe.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

I took 20 hours to solo, but that was only because my big penis kept getting caught in the rudder peddles, had to solve the problem by upgrading me to a C182 which worked out just fine.

Why the rush to solo, is there a prize?

Also, if you're learning to fly for fun, does it matter if you enjoy the process and take more then 45?

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
CanterburyTail
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CanterburyTail »

Did my first solo yesterday. 22.6 hours. I had a four month break near the beginning of my training, and the weather stopped us doing spin training for quite some time.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Invertago wrote:I took 20 hours to solo, but that was only because my big penis kept getting caught in the rudder peddles, had to solve the problem by upgrading me to a C182 which worked out just fine.

Why the rush to solo, is there a prize?

Also, if you're learning to fly for fun, does it matter if you enjoy the process and take more then 45?
Yes there is a prize. It's called not spending $20K for a PPL.

This thread was intended for instructors to share stories about they're best students and to see how little training some people actually needed before being safe to take off and land an airplane one time. It was not intended to be a penis size comparing contest.

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Just cause you take a while to solo, does not mean you will spend $20K on your PPL. As mentioned, I don't think when you solo makes any difference. There are too many variables to take into account.

Timing is everything.
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

This thread was intended for instructors to share stories about they're best students and to see how little training some people actually needed before being safe to take off and land an airplane one time. It was not intended to be a penis size comparing contest.
It is however just as irrelevant as one. The time to solo often has no bearing on how good of a pilot the student ends up being, nor is it indicative of how easy they were to train. For example, the shortest time I think I soloed a student in was about 9.5 hours - That student however had previous experience (had been flying in small planes with their father for as long as they could remember) so really 9.5 hours was the logbook learning time he had when he did his first circuit by himself.

If anything I find these discussions more harmful than good. Any time pilots start thinking about their hours in the logbook over how well they perform in the airplane its nearly always detrimental to their performance in the airplane.

I know of a few pilots who have no official logbook hours of instruction time and can take off and land aeroplanes, I also have a strong suspicion there's a few who have been off by themselves without any instruction time period. One could say these pilots have been solo in zero hours. Have they won the competition?

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

I came across a guy who bought his own C182, read the POH and soloed himself. He wasn't exactly 0 hours, as a few years prior he had gone up in a C172 for a half dozen hours. Good thing Cessna makes a tough forgiving aircraft!

All in all, I think this whole industry puts way too much emphasis on "Hours" as the mark of ones ability, be it how fast you learn or how much "experience" you have for a job. 500hrs instructing in the circuit you'll be good at saving students from bad landings, but won't have much of an IFR background. 500 hours sitting right seat HO between the same two airports in the lower-mainland, won't do much to prepare you for dropping skydivers either. Hours are over rated.

PS. Looking for a job, I've got 1529.3293 hours TT in a 1975 Cessna 172M model with blue paint!

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Invertago wrote: PS. Looking for a job, I've got 1529.3293 hours TT in a 1975 Cessna 172M model with blue paint!
Sorry, I'm only hiring pilots for a 172M with red paint. If you have the $ I could sell you a PPC.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I fly one with a red stripe and I'll work for half the wage Invertago wants. :wink:

I took a bit longer to solo (18 hrs IIRC, but working full time and paying cash might have had something to do with it), but I completed my CPL at exactly 200 hours with a Group 1 IFR.

Most students who start off with golden hands and feet will plateau or struggle with things like ballooning or bouncing (eventually happens to everybody) because of their lack of exposure. As long as the end product is safe, who cares about the hours?

Last edited by iflyforpie on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

niss wrote:
Invertago wrote: PS. Looking for a job, I've got 1529.3293 hours TT in a 1975 Cessna 172M model with blue paint!
Sorry, I'm only hiring pilots for a 172M with red paint. If you have the $ I could sell you a PPC.
This would be funnier if I hadn't encountered pilots who were serious about how much difference the paint color affects the airplane's flight characteristics. :|

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Shiny Side Up wrote:
niss wrote:
This would be funnier if I hadn't encountered pilots who were serious about how much difference the paint color affects the airplane's flight characteristics. :|
It's perfectly logical, an a/c with more dark colours absorbs more solar radiation, when it heats up it expands, when it expands it has a bigger profile and drag increases, all this more than a light airplane.

Why do you think UBC is all white? And it isn't just because I can't afford a new paint job! :D

:rolleyes:

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Oh so that's why we fly dark coloured aircraft at night!

Timing is everything.
Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Shiny Side Up wrote:
niss wrote:

Red cars are faster, so I assume it applies to aircraft also right? Thats why sports cars are often red :)

jeff_w_yeg
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jeff_w_yeg »

Bede wrote:Question for you instructors: What is the lowest time you have sent someone solo in?

My answer: 5.5hrs. The guy flew once a week. Absolutely incredible- had to help him on one landing throughout the whole pre solo stage. I probably could have sent him solo in about 4, but did an extra flight to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Unfortunately, the guy had a family and couldn't afford any more flying so he had to quite.
As a Student, I can tell you this: I'm at 12.7 hours in a C172 and don't feel ready to go solo yet. And unfortunately, I'm heading into "taking a break" (due to some financial constraints). It's unfortunate and I'm really disappointed that I'm taking a break, but I also enjoy eating and putting gas into my car...lol.

Jeff @ YEG

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

jeff_w_yeg wrote:
Bede wrote:Question for you instructors: What is the lowest time you have sent someone solo in?

As a Student, I can tell you this: I'm at 12.7 hours in a C172 and don't feel ready to go solo yet. And unfortunately, I'm heading into "taking a break" (due to some financial constraints). It's unfortunate and I'm really disappointed that I'm taking a break, but I also enjoy eating and putting gas into my car...lol.

Jeff @ YEG
Eating is highly over rated.

Return to “Flight Training”