Professionalism v cost.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Professionalism v cost.

Post by North Shore »

Cat Driver wrote:Vortac, if Obama sewers the U.S. economy he will hurt our standard of living.

So far his spending policies have only increased the U.S. debt with very little signs that the economy has improved.

As to the rest of the politicians you mentioned I am hard pressed to find a good one among them, maybe Regan was the best of that lot?
C'mon, Cat, the economy was in a tight spiral around the drain long before Obama had the reins - it's not fair to blame the last eight years on him...

As for the rest of you - carry on bashing...
---------- ADS -----------

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Success for airlines utimately has nothing to do with employees terms and conditions. It has everything to do with the quality of the airline management team. The US provides the best example of this. Of the 7 major airlines in the US, I think iit is generally recognized that SouthWest represents the most successfull US major, as it has remaind profitable over the last 5 airline boom/bust cycles. However it has the best paid narrow body pilots of any US and all pilots are represented by a union. Why has it succeeded when all the others have failed, since the secret to success is supposed to be lowering employee costs ? I think it is because it has always had a stable long term mangement team with a strong operational background and a long term view. The easiest thing for management to do is to cut terms and conditions, the real heavy lifting in management is to get the big things consistantly right. I think it is fascinating that if you rank the US airlines by conventional business metrics (ROI, RPSM,CPSM etc) you get the following order (most successfull to least successfull)

SW-Continental-Alaska-AA-DELTA-United-US Airways

However if you rank them by average pilot wages you get (highest average wages to lowest)

SW-Alaska-Contiental-AA-Delta-United-US Airways

If you rank them by management stability you get (least turn over to most turnover in managment ranks)

SW-Continental-Alaska-AA-Delta-United-US Airways

Seems to me that the successful airlines have stable mangement and understand that a fair deal for their employees will ultimately make for happier customers and unsuccessful airlines have lots of management churn which encourages short term thinking with an emphasis on quick hits like poor T & C's for their crews and a plethora of nusance charges which makes for unhappy customers and ultimately another trip through chapter 11. US Airways is the poster child for how not to run an airline and yet it has the lowest wage structure in the business....So much for the theory of "Smart Markets" :roll:

foxmoth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by foxmoth »

C'mon, face it.
We were all born to be used. It just better bosses use KY.

vortac
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vortac »

Thanks KAG

I retract my comments about Westjet and that they have eroded our profession further.

magyar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by magyar »

Kag says;
dry, stuffy environment.

In the future i see aircraft (it may be introduced into bizjet cabin first) installing something that will alter such a cabin environment. You know thoses humidifyer things you can buy that you can see the moisture flowing out out, kind of looks like dry ice. well they should install those above each seat where the air gaspers/flight attendent call button is located, or all least in some stategicly locted spaces in the cabin. One musn;t/will not need to work in such a (dry, stuffy environment.) one day.....

LousyFisherman
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LousyFisherman »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:Success for airlines utimately has nothing to do with employees terms and conditions. It has everything to do with the quality of the airline management team.
+1

BPF, please turn your pilots license in at the nearest ATC/FSS or wherever. You demonstrate far too much knowledge about economics and business to ever meet the standards of a pilot :mrgreen:

LF

Women and planes have alot in common
Both are expensive, loud, and noisy.
However, when handled properly both respond well and provide great pleasure
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

LousyFisherman wrote:
Big Pistons Forever wrote:Success for airlines utimately has nothing to do with employees terms and conditions. It has everything to do with the quality of the airline management team.
+1

BPF, please turn your pilots license in at the nearest ATC/FSS or wherever. You demonstrate far too much knowledge about economics and business to ever meet the standards of a pilot :mrgreen:

LF
Thanks for the kind words but I still have a valid instructor rating so I am obviously not very smart

Return to “General Comments”