aviation industry today

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

wingman1
Rank 1
Rank 1

aviation industry today

Post by wingman1 »

I got word that a friend of mine just got laid off from provincial air, which has me concerned. Are the days of hoping into the right hand seat of a king air 350 or 1900 over??? Am I looking at the ramp for 6 months to a year after my training is complete?
---------- ADS -----------

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
paydaymayday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: aviation industry today

Post by paydaymayday »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

wingman1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wingman1 »

?????? what gives?

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
paydaymayday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by paydaymayday »

Wait, you mean that wasn't a joke/troll post?

Adam1100
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Adam1100 »

From what I have read on here those days were over a long time ago, seems more like if you can find a ramp job and have a seat in anything in less then 1 year you are very lucky. Good luck with the 1900/king air 350 plan

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

paydaymayday wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
+1

I hope that somebody didn't sell you on flight training with that type of career path.

There are alternatives to ramp however. Get some PIC and have some fun before you are consigned into impoverished boredom whilst 'riding' in a Beech product...

Last edited by iflyforpie on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Why do pilots need to ramp to get a flying job?

Timing is everything.
paydaymayday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by paydaymayday »

Kid, even when the days were good people were happy to be right seat in any twin upon graduation. And I'm talking light piston twin.

paydaymayday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by paydaymayday »

Economics.
Tango01 wrote:Why do pilots need to ramp to get a flying job?

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

paydaymayday wrote:Economics.
Please expand on that.

Timing is everything.
paydaymayday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by paydaymayday »

The laws of both supply and demand. There is a large supply of pilots in the industry (for reasons pertaining to the romanticisation of the job, false expectations, etc.) and a relatively low demand for said pilots.

This shifts the supply curve to the right and the demand curve to the left. The point at which these lines cross is called the equilibrium, and it is quite low because of this. This is why pay is low and pilots have little "purchasing power" as to what their job is.
Tango01 wrote:
paydaymayday wrote:Economics.
Please expand on that.

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Ok, that's very true. Do you see a solution to this? I mean, schools are pumping out a shit load of pilots into an industry where there are no jobs, especially for low timers.

Timing is everything.
paydaymayday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by paydaymayday »

Unfortunately, no solution. And it's not like I don't want one - I wouldn't mind flying a 340 right now myself.

All we can do is educate the public and prospective pilots, because seemingly they are rather misled.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

You can't expect me to buzz around in a C206. I didn't just do my MIFR and IATRA for nothing. My first resume is going to Jazz! Their website doesn't say a thing about needing PIC time for the right seat!

Save the Cessna crap for those 200hr wonders with no MIFR. I went to Seneca, I have 250hrs, MIFR, IATRA, that opens doors my friend! I'll be looking down on you from Jazz. Enjoy your pop and chips little 206 man.

"Hey WTF why is this guy throwing suitcases at me and why did the just close the cabin door with me outside???"

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Invertago wrote:You can't expect me to buzz around in a C206. I didn't just do my MIFR and IATRA for nothing. My first resume is going to Jazz! Their website doesn't say a thing about needing PIC time for the right seat!

Save the Cessna crap for those 200hr wonders with no MIFR. I went to Seneca, I have 250hrs, MIFR, IATRA, that opens doors my friend! I'll be looking down on you from Jazz. Enjoy your pop and chips little 206 man.

"Hey WTF why is this guy throwing suitcases at me and why did the just close the cabin door with me outside???"

:lol: Good one, but hey, at least these Seneca types won't have gear up landings since they never retract the gear anyway... :wink:

Timing is everything.

Return to “Flight Training”