Conversion to FAA

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

catan man
Rank 2
Rank 2

Conversion to FAA

Post by catan man »

Does anyone know where a guy can right the convertion exam ATPL to FAA ATP, other than Lasergrade? I tried to book a date with Lasergrade in Toronto but they said they won't be able till maybe March. Is there another way to do this?
---------- ADS -----------

Pilatus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Conversion to FAA

Post by Pilatus »

Try Air Richelieu at St-Hubert airport (Montreal), they do the conversion exams.

Follow this link and on the bottom left corner, choose FAA licence.
http://www.airrichelieu.com/index.php?id=32

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Search for CATS or AvTest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
catan man
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by catan man »

This converstion only stays valid as long as the canadian one is valid, is that right? What if I do a flight test in the U.S. say with a company, doesn't this test keep the U.S liscence current? Or do I still have to go to canada every two yrs to do a ride?

Anyone out there move over? What happens after converting?

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

In my experience, I've had to do a ride in Canada to maintain the IFR. TC has extended the validity to 4 years with proof of a ride in the U.S., but after that, it expired.

This could have all changed, and could still POSSIBLY change if the rumour that TC is adopting the U.S. style of instrument rating validity comes to pass. I don't know if it has.

If your U.S. licence is based on the TC licence, you must maintain validity in Canada. If you get a standalone certificate in the U.S., it's good forever (barring currency requirements).

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

I don't know if they still issue licenses actually based on your TC ATPL being valid.
If you do the ATPL conversion now, you end up with a stand-alone FAA ATPL (and you must maintain an FAA medical, of course.)

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

When you convert they gave you Stand-alone.

Stand Alone Cert: Keep current medical and IFR rec req, your good to go.

You can still fly commercially with a cat 3 medical as long as the PIC is appropriately certified and you as the co-jo aren't required by the type certificate.

ie part 91 ops.

Cat 3 good for 5 years under 40, 24 months over.

Semper Fidelis
No Conflict
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by No Conflict »

I just did mine, drive down to the states to the nearst testing fac. and write the exam.. I went to niagara Int airport, easy to get appt, and its 40questions.. done and done... PM me if you want more details..

NC

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

I wrote my written in Seattle - at that time Lasergrade had stopped doing exams in Canada, so I did it in a US office: http://www.lasergrade.com/

Do your medical in Canada!: http://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/ And, if you do it at the same time as a Canadian medical, it is usually cheaper than doing both medicals separately.

There are two ways you can get a US ATP:

One: convert on the basis of your foreign license under IPL (Implementation Procedures for Licensing - an international agreement between US and Canada). This method, while easier, will make your FAA ATP forever dependent on your Canadian one. *Note: this is not a stand-alone! Your license will state "issued on the basis of xx foreign license" Thus, if you lose your Canadian license for any reason, by default you will lose your FAA license as well. Also, you can only convert basic licenses - ASEL. AMEL with night and IFR - it doesn't cover helicopters (as far as I know) and definitely does not cover SE or ME float plane ratings. You can find more information on this process here:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/regulatory_an ... ent&Click=

you will also need this:

http://www.faa.gov/forms/index.cfm/go/d ... tID/186251

Two: convert your license on the basis of your foreign times. This method requires you to take an ATP check-ride, and the FAA examiner will verify from your logbooks that you meet the US time requirements. DO NOT SHOW UP FOR THE RIDE WITHOUT YOUR LOGBOOK(S) - Nobody told me this but luckily I had them - I had been told my Canadian ATP would be sufficient proof of times met. *Note! Your license will only be valid for the type of aircraft you do your ride in - you will have to add each desired rating individually by taking more check-rides in the applicable aircraft. Eg, I did my ride in a ME, which means I must do an IFR SE add-on ride (to the ATP level) in order to fly SE. However, the advantage is, my US ATP is completely independent of my Canadian ATP, and as Flybabe said earlier, is valid forever - subject to currency requirements.

This is the route I went, and if you do as well, I highly recommend ATP: http://www.atpflightschool.com/ They are a total meat market, and they treat their instructors deplorably, but they will get you through the ride cheaply. Be prepared though, if you are not used to busy US airspace, it can be a bit of a culture shock. I did my conversion in North Las Vegas, and we had to get up at 3:30/4:00 am in order to be out of Las Vegas busy airspace by 06:00 - they didn't mention this until I got down there. Anyway, it was a neat experience. Also, you may need to put your foot down to be sure you get what you are promised, but if you are a savy customer, your experience with ATP should be a good one.

You'll need these:
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/tes ... rds/pilot/ and on the right hand side of the page you will find links to the knowledge question banks and written test guides.

Good luck!
Kirsten B.

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

Snoopy, how long ago was this?

My information is current as of Sept/Oct 2009.

I did the 40 question exam and the conversion that verified my Canadian ATPL, etc. and got the FAA medical. I did not do a flight test.

My FAA ATPL is stand alone and is NOT based on my TC one being valid - I'm looking at it right now.

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

Hi Chipmunk,

My information is current (from the FAA) as of about the same time period - notwithstanding the documents I have posted which document the FAA's official stance on the subject.

However I have received conflicting information from the FAA themselves (they have regional differences too don't you know!) regarding whether a statement would be made on the license (one inspector said it was supposed to be but might be overlooked). However, regardless of whether the statement is on your license, if you read the terms of the IPL, under which this conversion is made possible, there is a statement in there that each country is to notify the other of any license suspension. So behind the scenes, your licenses are still dependent and both can be revoked for the simple loss of one.

My license was earned (by check-ride), and there is no link to my Canadian ATP.

I'm sure the information will continue to change as more licenses are converted.... As with anything, I strongly advise anyone to obtain written reference to the CARS/FARS and/or current advisory circulars, as applicable, before accepting as gospel any statement from a TC or FAA inspector (or member of AvCanada for that matter!).

Cheers,
Kirsten B.

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

Hey Snoopy, thanks for the clarification.
Interesting stuff... and I agree that everyone you talk to at the FAA gives you slightly different information!

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

No problem! One other thing I found out, is that once you choose your method, you can't revert... If I had converted in the manner you did, then I wouldn't need to do a SE add-on at the ATP level. There are pros and cons to either method of attaining the FAA ATP - in my case I wanted a completely independent license.

The other frustrating thing is that the IPL does not presently allow for the inclusion of float ratings, so no matter how you got your license (converted or earned), and regardless of the privileges stated on your Canadian license, you will require a check ride to fly seaplanes of any stripe. In my case even though I have piles of both SE and ME float experience, I will have to do both an SE and ME check ride to attain privileges for both. :roll:

Cheers,
Kirsten B.

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

Oh yes... and any Canadian pilot with the lucky privilege of being able to work in the US, will want to be fully aware of the PRIA:
http://www.faa.gov/pilots/lic_cert/pria/ (detailed info may be found by perusing the links on the left). While on the surface, the PRIA may seem to be, or in some ways may actually be a good thing, there are some dangerous pitfalls as well. Essentially, all your airman's information is kept in a national database, which a prospective employer is legally required to search before employing you as a pilot. This information includes the National Driver database (an impaired charge can cause you to lose your pilot's license). Once information is added to your record, it is nearly impossible to remove it. Where this becomes insidious, is in the event a company, or individual within a company decides to sabotage you (i.e. for not playing by company rules, personality conflict or other reason) - either by check ride or safety report or other documented method - even if you manage to prove it, chances are likely that the malicious information will remain on your file. You may get lucky enough to be permitted to include a mitigating letter or court document in your file, but usually they will not allow the erasure of any information. This is not conspiracy theory - it is a problem and does happen.

Cheers,
Kirsten B.

catan man
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by catan man »

This is as confusing as talking with different FSDO people. One FSDO guy from Grand Rapids told me that If I wrote the ACP 40 question conversion Exam, That would get me the a stand alone in which it is not dependent on my Canadian liscences. He said with that, I could let my Canadian liscences lasp and continue with my FAA ones. He said it's a different test then the ATPL to ATP conversion. However, I am going to go through the Minneapolis FSDO because it's closer to where I am. When I asked then about it, They said they had to look into it and get back to me. I'm still waiting. Anyway, I'll be in Toronto next week to do the medical and the varification letter is in the FAA's hands for now.

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Doesn't sound like you're confused at all.

Just remember: until TC makes a firm committment to it, you will still require a checkride in 2 years to maintain your IFR. They don't care if you're done one in the U.S.

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
Louis
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Louis »

About the "On the basis of Canadian CPL/ATPL number" issue. I converted my commercial back in 2008, the temporary papers had the "validation" statement on them, the inspector doing the paperwork was filling in for someone. I asked him to double check as I understood that AC 61-135 and the "conversion" process (as opposed to validation) give you a stand alone certificate.

Sometime later, I received my permanent certificate in the mail, no requirement for my Canadian papers to be valid.

See: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59727 and viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51617

fruz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fruz »

I emailed the Minneapolis FSDO recently and they said that the license would be based upon my Canadian ATP. They went on to mention that if I wanted to obtain a "stand alone" ATP I would have to complete all of the training in the US. Seems that there is still a bit of confusion still. Me being among them too.

If someone converts their TCCA ATP to an FAA equivalent and then leaves Canada for the US, whats stopping them from filing the (FAA to TCCA) conversion papers in 2 years (thereby proving your IR currency and recency) in order to revalidate your TCCA?

fruz

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

The FAA website has the guidance.
The FSDO inspectors may have never dealt with a conversion since the agreement in 2006 and is relying on old gouge.

If you actively use the FAA ATP you'll do a recurrent ride every year, thus renewing the TC ATPL (IFR). However when you go to TC to show the paperwork, you need a copy of the FAA recurrent.

When I chatted with TC fellow on the west coast, he wanted a "grade sheet" from my FAA ATP ride to ensure the IFR ride was indeed current. For whatever reason, the issue date on the certificate isn't good enough to show that 1) I passed, and 2) the date was within 2 years.

Make copies of all the rides you do.

Semper Fidelis

Return to “General Comments”