Beaver Tips

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

wonger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Beaver Tips

Post by wonger »

How much load can the baggage area take? I heard it was only around 75 pounds or so, but looking at - for example - West Coast Air's website, they say max baggage allowance per passenger is 25 pounds.

So, if the beaver is loaded with 5 - 6 passengers, with 25 pounds of bags each, wouldn't the baggage area be technically over gross? :smt017
---------- ADS -----------

beechnut
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by beechnut »

WONGER

A good starting point is the float locker. Trouble is the stuff can get damp

wonger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wonger »

excluding float lockers...

CGZMT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CGZMT »

Oh how I miss the old -2. Hoping the boss gets his redone and back online. As for approaches I always tried to set it up farther back and just pull two or so inches off at a time to allow for better cooling. This also prevents the "jake-break" effect once in the final phases of the approach. I though the aft baggage you could get 50lbs in a rod tube and I thought the aft baggage was 120lbs? or was that 50 in the tube and 70 on the shelf?

The more you know the more trouble you can get in!
wonger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wonger »

CGZMT wrote:I though the aft baggage you could get 50lbs in a rod tube and I thought the aft baggage was 120lbs? or was that 50 in the tube and 70 on the shelf?

:smt100

Rod tube, Shelf? I think that's more used on outpost camp beavers, perhaps to accommodate fishing gear (really i don't know). Some of the beavers I've noticed don't come with the shelf or rod tube. Passengers luggage are stocked one on top of the other behind the rear bench seat. I know there are many mods/variations out there, but does anyone know what the load limit is behind the rear bench seat??

wonger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wonger »

No takers? No answer for the baggage load limit???

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

A rod tube is not a normal mod and would have to be quite restricted weight wise because of its c of g. A beaver can have a 200 pound load limit behind the rear seats with structural mods.(Sealand baggage extension kit,)

gapper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gapper »

I'm hoping someone here could share any information on the Wipline wing modifications on the Beaver. It looks like it might be the same concept as the Otter/Turbo Beaver wing, with fences. Does anyone in Canada have this mod?

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer
HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

Do you mean the "Advanced Wing Technologies" mod.?

http://www.dhc-2.com/id387.htm

The fastest way to turn money into smoke and noise..
Idriveplane
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Idriveplane »

For the newer guys, on windy days make sure your into wind. Bigger waters mean waves arn't always an indicator of wind direction. And back off abit on the flaps when windy and gusty. I use around climb flap on takeoff, and maybe pump a bit more down once rolling on step.

gapper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gapper »

No, Ive seen that AWT wing, and it looks kind of scarey to me. I've also seen one of the original Baron winged Beaver's do a "Demo Take-off" at Watson Lake. It scared the crap out of all of us who were watching. That could have very well been caused by Bigshotism and Incompitence, which was inherint of the pilot involved. The one that I seen on the Wipaire site had a large vortex-generator about half-way down the wingspan and about 6inches aft of the leading edge.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer
wonger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wonger »

beaverbob wrote:A rod tube is not a normal mod and would have to be quite restricted weight wise because of its c of g. A beaver can have a 200 pound load limit behind the rear seats with structural mods.(Sealand baggage extension kit,)

:smt023 thanx bb

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

gapper wrote:No, Ive seen that AWT wing, and it looks kind of scarey to me. I've also seen one of the original Baron winged Beaver's do a "Demo Take-off" at Watson Lake. It scared the crap out of all of us who were watching. That could have very well been caused by Bigshotism and Incompitence, which was inherint of the pilot involved. The one that I seen on the Wipaire site had a large vortex-generator about half-way down the wingspan and about 6inches aft of the leading edge.
The Baron STOL kit has a cuffed leading edge, not unlike a Cessna 185 or 206 from the factory, A wing fence where the aileron and flap meet, gap seals between the flap and wing and drooped wing tips. No vortex generater. Nearly impossible to loose control or cause a spin in normal flight conditions. ie: straight or turning climbs or descents the stick can be held full aft and held that way with your feet off the pedels. The plane will go through a series of gentle stalls with the wings dropping, each in turn as it stalls, to about 5 degrees bank with a recovery back to level and a roll to the other direction of about 5 degrees bank. I demoed it to four potential purchasers and Dave Baron on board and the rate of descent through all this was about 700 to 800 FPM with the six of us on board. This was at the 50 year Beaver celebration in Victoria in 97.I also tried to spin it once with a professional test pilot from San Diago named Don Lykus, a lawyer and a videographer to record it for a court case. The only way we could get the plane to spin was at an Extremely high nose attitude left climbing turn with crossed controls to keep the ball in the center and nearly full power (2200 rpm and about 35"map). At that point the spin was very abrupt and the plane pointed straight down upon spin entry. But, like I said, a very unusual attitude and power setting.

BB

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

There are two Baron kits. One has the cuff, droop & gap seals.

The other, (the "Mark II"), also increases the angle of incedence by dropping the trailing edge of the wing about 2".

With the "Mark II", the airplane will climb without flap and none is required for cruise.

Cruise speed picks up by about 7kts as well.

'48

Last edited by HS-748 2A on Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

HS-748 2A wrote:There are two Baron kits. One has the cuff, droop & gap seals.

The other, (the "Mark II"), also increases the angle of incedence by dropping the trailing edge of the wing about 2".

With the "Mark", the airplane will climb without flap and none is required for cruise.

Cruise speed picks up by about 7kts as well.

'48

It was intended to be one kit but the change in angle if incedence was not approved until a few years later. After that the kit was only offered as a complete single kit and Called a Baron DHc 2 - 2000. When I had my kit installed the angle change had not been approved yet.
BB

tzu
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tzu »

FUEL STRAINING TIPS?

Sometimes i think one has to be a human equivalent of "gumby" to sample the fuel out of the -2, as you have to be quite flexible to get under the thing to get to the drain valves.

Any tips (aside from NOT straining, or letting it go in the soup with paddle) that will save the inevitable visit to the chiropractor are welcomed...

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

tzu wrote:FUEL STRAINING TIPS?

Sometimes i think one has to be a human equivalent of "gumby" to sample the fuel out of the -2, as you have to be quite flexible to get under the thing to get to the drain valves.

Any tips (aside from NOT straining, or letting it go in the soup with paddle) that will save the inevitable visit to the chiropractor are welcomed...
Paint the tops of your spreader bars with deck tread and wipe the oil off so you have a place to stand.

buck82
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by buck82 »

Or make your own strainer, long tube of clear plastic with a stopper in the end so you can reach the drains without crawling completely under the plane, this also lets you get a good fuel sample as well

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

If the dock is in shallow water and its relatively warm.. why not just walk out underneath the plane?

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Cuz if it'w warm out, you don't have to strain the fuel. Not in my few thousand hours experience anyway. :D

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”