Maintenance Engineers

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Schimunga
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Maintenance Engineers

Post by Schimunga »

To crc_66--If you are looking to get out of the industry just look up "turbines" in the yellow pages and see what comes up. That is what I did and sent a resume to every company that came up in the list. The companies that came up in the list mostly dealt with industrial turbines. A turbine is a turbine no matter what it is doing. Many of these companies dealt with power generation. I no longer have to worry about "signing my life away" which was one of my biggest concerns and talking to a fixed wing friend of mine I am going to be making just under what he is making($35/hr) and that is a starting wage for me. The more I think about the happier I am leaving. YEEEEEE HAWWWW!!!
---------- ADS -----------

crc_66
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by crc_66 »

Schimunga, thank you for the sugestion. I will follow your advice and see what comes up. Unfortunatly I probably would have to re locate to a biger city, and deal with that BULL. I have lived in large cities and I just got tired of spending 1-2 hrs in traffic to go, and work for companies that you are just one more grease monkey on the floor. I like small towns where people know you and respect you, and when you walk on the street no body teels you GET T F HELL out of my way. NUFF said. I wish you and all the other engineers that are thinking to get out of the industry, GOOD LUCK. May be one day things will improve for all those apprentices that are just starting. One advice to them... after you get your ticket..... DON'T SELL YOUR SELF SHORT.

aero-singidunum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aero-singidunum »

One of the best post I seen so far. Went a bit of topic but did answer why is shortage of qualified AMEs.
I know few endorsed guys (727,757, 737) that left aviation, sick and tired of working outside, expected to
be available 24/7, harsh conditions, overworked and under payed.
Those of you who work in airline know what i am talking about! Make sure that pilot duty time is within limits!
Did you ever been ask if you are tired and would you like to also go to the hotel with crew and rest?
How many New Years and Christmas night did you spent at work? :rolleyes:

Agree with all of you!

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Did you ever been ask if you are tired and would you like to also go to the hotel with crew and rest?
No, I've never been asked this, only "When is it going to be done?"
I have though, received shit when I applied my Human Factors learnings, and went to the hotel on my own initiative. How dare I leave before the aircraft is finished. That has happened more than once.
How many New Years and Christmas night did you spent at work? :rolleyes:
More than I care to remember.

Some good points, especially the hotel/rest one. That one pisses me off the most, even more than the money thing. The money thing usually rears up in my head when I have been in the midst of an all night flogging. So I giess they go hand in hand.

http://mindflipbooks.ca/
aero-singidunum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Hey Pat,
I received many times same thing ("what a ^$#$#$ you thinking, that cost so much!) and also
"so yes you did spent over 2 days straight at work, but not all that time is consider O/T".

Point for hotel comes since I am in office last decade, and can see how Company cares for pilot duty time,
"if you guys are waiting for part next 10 hrs, we will put crew back in the hotel", at no point ever
was offer "do you want to put your guy in hotel for rest".

We are not regulated same, might be if we are (not more then 160 hrs a month), companies would hire extra guy,
will have to pay more for quality AME and we will be looked a bit different.

Sometimes Pat, while I first check Weather network for particular base to assure that will be some human conditions
for work (like above minus 15 for some non urgent work), and moving that work to the base with the roof or more west
in that city where rain a lot, I find my self on meeting (with upper part) being idiot, (what do think it is cold????)
and not company oriented?

After that you go on AvCanada and look Job Postings and you can see leaving a good payed office job
and moving north without family (wife hands you p/w from lawyer and she keeps house :smt040 ) so you can work
outside for $50 to even 60K ( :rolleyes: ) and grow with a company, and start to enjoy fishing! :prayer:

Only thing I am sure now, my kids will not work in aviation!
They can get pilot license to fly their own plane ( i will do free annual!).

billy ray valintine
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by billy ray valintine »

hey aero

this topic is meant for AME'S that work on aircraft in all kinds of shit conditions.
you mentioned you have been working in an office for the last ten years,so that
leads me to believe you are mcc or???
if this is the case,why are you so sympathetic towards how your company treats their AME'S?
does it make YOU feel better to feel their pain?
have you done anything to improve the situation for your companies mechanics?
me think aero speaks with fork tongue!

brv

aero-singidunum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Well brv!
while I was freezing my but you are maybe in your dad and mom plans!
I am not in mcc, something else that your brain could not figure out in next 10 years.

This is why we are where we are and pilots are whey they are!
My comment was for Pat, maybe to avoid you, will send him PM next time!
And btw I still work (contract) in same shitty conditions and who gives you right to judge anybody
who hold same piece of p/w that shows your license.

I might speak with fork tongue for you, but I use brain, and that is what separates you and I.

billy ray valintine
Rank 2
Rank 2

aero

you should send pat a p.m. next time!(can't wait to hear how that goes).
i think i struck a nerve with the MCC thing!(still think your MCC!) :lol:
i call b.s. because i worked with you in the past,and was never impressed!
DON'T try to get people on your side because you portray some "hard done by" mechanic.
I've been in aviation in Canada a lot longer than you,so sell it some where else!
if you are in a position to make things better for the AME'S at you company,then...do it.
but ,as you say ,you are way above me in this business.

brv

aero-singidunum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Whatever,
not sure that I worked with you...will remember very frustrated guy...
but in future will send PM.

Did not see in my post ever that I claim being "great" but was adding to the working positions,
and some other points, what you most likely do not see.

Not putting anybody on "my side" , was not my point,
I just do not see anything in my post saying anything that will offend anybody,
maybe use your frustration somewhere else....

Will stop this bs

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

And there you have it folks....what this whole thread is about is summed up in the last 3 posts. AME's will ALWAYS knife his colleague in back to better his situation, make himself look better, etc...

Why try and get anywhere with this culture that has been bred into our trade over the last 9 decades or so. We all at some point felt that we as a group should unify like pilots, but I mean who are we kidding? It is almost laughable really.

So I will continue to watch my back....cause I know one of you is ready to take me out if it serves your purpose, and don't act like you wouldn't.

Good night

Last edited by Troubleshot on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 624 »

billy ray valintine wrote: hey aero

this topic is meant for AME'S that work on aircraft in all kinds of shit conditions.

brv
Actually this thread is a huge hijack. So really, anything goes.
In my opinion, it's very hard to judge someone by what they say and how they come across on an internet forum.

billy ray valintine
Rank 2
Rank 2

624 wrote:
billy ray valintine wrote: hey aero

brv
Actually this thread is a huge hijack. So really, anything goes.
In my opinion, it's very hard to judge someone by what they say and how they come across on an internet forum.
thanks for clearing that up for me!

BRV

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 624 »

LOL, That was fast. And your welcome! I could see that you needed it cleared up! :D

billy ray valintine
Rank 2
Rank 2

aero-singidunum wrote:Whatever,
not sure that I worked with you...will remember very frustrated guy...
but in future will send PM.

Did not see in my post ever that I claim being "great" but was adding to the working positions,
and some other points, what you most likely do not see.

Not putting anybody on "my side" , was not my point,
I just do not see anything in my post saying anything that will offend anybody,
maybe use your frustration somewhere else....

Will stop this bs
say what you want,beleive what you want.............brother.
you'll always say one thing and do another.
your not going to rock the boat because ''squat to piss" will spank you.
can you still take one for the team? or is being in the office made you think
different?
if you can help your AME'S situation,then DO IT.

brv

aero-singidunum
Rank 4
Rank 4

And now we are "brothers"....
Can I take one for team? What did you do for a team? Did you ever take one for a team?
If I could help AME situation, i would, but I am only Minister of Transport....so my hands are tied....
Here is a nice link for you:
http://www.angeronline.com/Anger Management Counselling

Schimunga
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Schimunga »

Troubleshot is right. AME's will never stick together. Pilots will always be ahead of us. But it's sure fun to watch the mud being slung. Once again if you are so unhappy quit. Is it worth to wake up at 60 years old and find yourself to be one very bitter man? Makes me wonder if it's not just the schedule that makes many of us divorced?

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Schimunga wrote:Troubleshot is right. AME's will never stick together. Pilots will always be ahead of us.
I don't know about pilots being ahead of AMEs. I do both. The flying keeps me sane, the wrenching pays the bills.

There are tons of threads on the crap pilots have to deal with. There are more AMEs making a comfortable living with a nice lifestyle than there are pilots doing the same, year for year, in their vocation.
But it's sure fun to watch the mud being slung. Once again if you are so unhappy quit. Is it worth to wake up at 60 years old and find yourself to be one very bitter man? Makes me wonder if it's not just the schedule that makes many of us divorced?
That is why I quit heavy maintenance. I wasn't just the schedule, it was what I was bringing home.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Schimunga
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Schimunga »

Iflyforpie--About pilots being ahead of us, I was talking about being united as a front. Being in helicopters I know some of the work they do I wouldn't want to do it for all the tea in China. My experience is that when one pilot has an issue that needed to be dealt with it seemed that the other pilots got united behind the cause. I found that if an engineer has a beef with the company it only was talked about during a beer after work and that was it. Then there usually was one engineer that would just sit there listening to all the complaining then would then B-line it to the bosses office to regurgitate what he had heard and who had said it.

BoostedNihilist

Post by BoostedNihilist »

but I am only Minister of Transport
nice to see some taxpayer somewhere is paying for some mouthpiece to troll the forum.

get back to work

crc_66
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by crc_66 »

Like I said before, reading this post has been the must exciting thing I have done the past few months. I am currently un employed and looking. I have had the opportinity to work with a great company and the best co-workers in the past 3 years... unfortunatly the industry has been taking a beating the past year or so. I agree that as engineers we do not stick with each other.... but some stabing in the back is the only reason some of them still have full time jobs. Wish we could have the support as some other industries....(UNION)???? never liked it, but it works in other trades, why not in ours????? I would like to know if there has been an attempt to start one in the past? Is not the answer for everything but sure we can use one.

Return to “Maintenance”