Maintenance Engineers

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

billy ray valintine
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Maintenance Engineers

Post by billy ray valintine »

aero-singidunum wrote:
billy ray valintine wrote:
aero-singidunum wrote:Whatever,
not sure that I worked with you...will remember very frustrated guy...
but in future will send PM.

Did not see in my post ever that I claim being "great" but was adding to the working positions,
and some other points, what you most likely do not see.

Not putting anybody on "my side" , was not my point,
I just do not see anything in my post saying anything that will offend anybody,
maybe use your frustration somewhere else....

Will stop this bs
say what you want,beleive what you want.............brother.
you'll always say one thing and do another.
your not going to rock the boat because ''squat to piss" will spank you.
can you still take one for the team? or is being in the office made you think
different?
if you can help your AME'S situation,then DO IT.

brv

And now we are "brothers"....
Can I take one for team? What did you do for a team? Did you ever take one for a team?
If I could help AME situation, i would, but I am only Minister of Transport....so my hands are tied....
Here is a nice link for you:
http://www.angeronline.com/Anger Management Counselling

hey aero

loved the link,made me understand the aviation business.
it was the missing link i was searching for!
here's one for you......
http://www.wikihow.com/Deal-With-Backstabbers

brv
---------- ADS -----------

crc_66
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by crc_66 »

Think we are geting out of topic..... Don't you all? it was more fun bashing those MRO than bashing each other.... Lets stick to the real problem and try to solve it. Like .... Lets all call our employers and say we are all sick for one day.... see how fast they can call in contractors to do the job????? or aprentices????? like to see their faces.. and their $$$$$ go down the drain. Ha Ha Ha :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:

aero-singidunum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aero-singidunum »

brv,

You should look for some professional help....before is to late.
As backstabbing goes, you have Master degree....
And you never answer, what you can do to improve AME positions, and would you rock the boat?

At the end, of maybe union, maybe Canada wide AME association to do something
for all levels of AME's.

crc_66
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by crc_66 »

Any body wants to take a shot on starting a Canada wide AME association..... lets talk and see how is done. I am willing to participate in every aspect, research and implementation of such. Any ideas how to start?????? and how many of you will come on board. No back stabers PLEASE.

THANK YOU

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

crc_66 wrote:Any body wants to take a shot on starting a Canada wide AME association.....
Isn't that what Gibi suggests IS happening in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=56536

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
crc_66
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by crc_66 »

Thank you WIDOW
I have read it and I guess we will see what, when, how and if happens. Will keep on chequing progress.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Job Description:
look after the running and heavy maintenance of our fleet. Organize and deligate the maintenance personnel,order parts and necessary materials to keep the fleet servicable. Must have supervisory experience

Salary:$30 to 36hr

well, at least they are showing the pay.

Really funny part is Shell offering the same pay+transportation/accommodation for GROUND PERSONNEL out of ft mac.

Add another 20 bucks an hour and you might have some interest.

Pattie

http://mindflipbooks.ca/
dstechnical
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dstechnical »

I have 30yrs in this industry. There is no shortage of engineers. There is a shortage of engineers working in the industry. I know many engineers who no longer work n the industry. When the industry will pay as much for an engineer to work on their $2,000,000 aircraft as they will to the plumber to come and unplug the toilet, they will get engineers. When engineers get the pay and respect of other trades there will be no shortage. when the government stops allowing overseas engineers, because operators do not want to pay when the price of locals start to get respectable, there will be no shortage. $90/hr to fix a $400 computer, or a four wheeler as opposed to $55/hr at the local FBO, no shortage of engineers. I think I have made my point

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

wildernessnorthair wrote:

I saw the guys on Ice Pilots turning wrenches on an old radial engine (C46) in - 40 weather with little or no lights in the dark, no hanger or shelter, and the winds were blowing 10-15kts. At the end of the show the engineer stated he did it ‘because of his love for aviation.’ Really? Wow! That’s dedication!

Well some people do this as a career, not a hobby.

acidgambit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by acidgambit »

i just started in this industry.....and the first heavy check airplane that i worked on got out on time. It's a great feeling. But in the back of your mind you know that a lot of the old and experienced guys are pretty bitter. They don't have that sense of pride and joy anymore. They have dealt with too much bullcrap. Too much politics from management and this industry is really unstable. To the point they're just doing the job just to put food on the table for their family. I respect these experienced mechanics very much and wish to learn from them everyday.

I do wish that one day mechanics will be treated with respect and actually earn the proper wage for the responsiblity we take working on these flying tin cans.

like people posted above...it would be nice to see airplanes being grounded cause there isn't enough mechanics in this world to fix it. Now what will those airlines do?? raise the salary to 50 bucks per hour???

pistonpounder
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pistonpounder »

No they would not pay 50 hr because some shmuck will do it for 30 hr because of his/her "love for aviation", and there lies the biggest problem in this industry, and as long as people say that and do that it will never change, its unfortunate but in this buisness it hurts you to love your job.

Fox 3
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Fox 3 »

Just out of curiosity. How many people got into this career expecting to make big money? Also, what is a fair wage in your opinion?

Hang Time Is The Best Time!
billy ray valintine
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by billy ray valintine »

pistonpounder wrote:No they would not pay 50 hr because some shmuck will do it for 30 hr because of his/her "love for aviation", and there lies the biggest problem in this industry, and as long as people say that and do that it will never change, its unfortunate but in this buisness it hurts you to love your job.
+1

brv

acidgambit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by acidgambit »

For me i got into this industry was because...i just couldn't handle sitting in an office all day long.
At first i took the course thinking i was gonna earn big bucks, but after i realized the reality...i just threw that thought out. hahaha.

I have heard of stories here and there about AMEs going overseas to do contract work and earning big bucks. And i guess that's what i am aiming for.

For now..as long i can have enough money to pay my rent, eat and spoil myself a little bit...i'm not going to say anything. I'll leave the talking to the licensed experience guys.

I have asked around....and every single experienced AMEs i have encounter..most of them said that they expect that starting wages for apprentices fresh out of school should be $25...and once licensed wage should jump to $35~40 and if you're a lead $40~50. I guess that's fair <-----That's not including indoresments. What do you say?.......but hey come on...that is not going to happen for awhile. hehehe.

coldandwet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by coldandwet »

Man...after reading all this talk I am getting out!!!....But seriously, I too have been in the industry since 86, and Have pretty much done it all...from floats on a piper in Kuujuaq to 747-400 engine changes,E license M1/M2, multiple ratings it does get frustrating listening to all these posts...The industry does indeed seem to be in a downward spiral and beleive me when I say that the dwindling numbers of AMEs and lack of control at a federal level will not bring salary up!....Take a look at what the average wage is for TACA in the central america range and you will see that what we perceive as a shite wage looks pretty good to a frustrated AME there. I wish nothing but the best for all fellow AMES but in the end the decision has to come from within and if it works for you... oh yeah at the job I am at now with a regional carrier in the north with 20 years Dash8 with E rating as well and chief engineer......36.50/hr with no pension or rrsp.....take it for what its worth...thanks.

acidgambit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by acidgambit »

it's better than nothing eh. Good luck dude.

Tires319
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tires319 »

Wilderness North Air?
Are you knew to this industry or just retarded?
You want a dedicated engineer to move to bum f**k nowhere for probably less pay than what you pay a guy at the Toyota dealership to fix your Prius.
Wake up buddy and get with the program.
see ya

dstechnical
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dstechnical »

Just paid $80 for service call on my $200 fridge. (relay change) All the guys tools in one belt and a truck. No sign outs no worry. Just try to get $50/hr out some guy with his $40,000 Cessna. Need we say more.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

dstechnical wrote:Just paid $80 for service call on my $200 fridge. (relay change) All the guys tools in one belt and a truck. No sign outs no worry. Just try to get $50/hr out some guy with his $40,000 Cessna. Need we say more.
My shop charges $90/hr, 1 hr minimum for working on light aircraft. I'm currently working on a $25,000 Cessna who's owner will wind up paying roughly $2000 in labour by the time I am done for a couple day's work. I haven't had too much problem with people paying their bills.

If you think that being a fridge service man is the key to wealth and happiness, fly right at 'er. One of my friend's dad does appliance repair as a semi-retirement job...

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
dstechnical
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dstechnical »

$90/hr ! sure not going to get that in htis part of the country.

I don't know about semi retired fridge/appliance repairmen. But the one local appliance guy just bought a nice new house on the lake. A lot nicer than any AME's house i know (mine included). Years ago I did some work on a 172 owned by and independant appliance repaieman. he asked me how much I charged, I told him I would take the same rate he charged. HE TOOK THE AIRPLANE SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Return to “Maintenance”