TSB introduces Watchlist

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

double-j
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: TSB introduces Watchlist

Post by double-j »

corytrevor wrote:
Tube Driver wrote:Runway 28 in CYYC is one that should be looked at as it essentially a "Buffalo Jump" at the end ont Deerfoot Trail. I have seen many wide body aircraft use this runway with zero overrun available. Not to mention the fact that many of the large cargo company aircraft land long so that it is a shorter taxi to their facilities. This runway is an accident waiting to happen.
The cargo companies land long on 28 for a shorter taxi?! Are you for real??? You really believe that professional airline pilots do this?

This kind of comment makes me wonder about the average IQ posting here.
I would agree with this poster with the exception that no large turbojet operators intentionally land long on 28 for the sake of taxi time, especially in adverse conditions.

But I'm sure you guys know better so..
Flame away gents....
---------- ADS -----------

Tube Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tube Driver »

corytrevor, how long have you been the business? have you ever flown cargo? Do you know any cargo pilots? A number of years ago I saw a KFC 727 land on 25 in yyc and make Charlie. You do the math. This was before they relocated the cargo ramp after which many touched down just prior to the 16/34 intersection to "expedite" for tower. Expediting in yyc is common as to the traffic and intersecting runways. Again you can do the math seeing as you are such an obvious pro airline pilot. I am not saying it is right or safe, all I am doing is letting you know what I have seen.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Problem: Bad things happen sometimes

Solution: An omniscient, omnipotent, caring being in the sky who can protect all of us from bad things. With lasers.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
crankedup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by crankedup »

corytrevor wrote:
Tube Driver wrote:
Runway 28 in CYYC is one that should be looked at as it essentially a "Buffalo Jump" at the end ont Deerfoot Trail. I have seen many wide body aircraft use this runway with zero overrun available. Not to mention the fact that many of the large cargo company aircraft land long so that it is a shorter taxi to their facilities. This runway is an accident waiting to happen.

The cargo companies land long on 28 for a shorter taxi?! Are you for real??? You really believe that professional airline pilots do this?

This kind of comment makes me wonder about the average IQ posting here.

you really believe nobody lands long??!?!!? i read through some of your old posts...it seems you get off on making asshole-ish comments, as you seem to have difficulty posting without insulting someone. it also seems you're forte is providing critisism as opposed to points which contribute to a discussion.

back to the topic at hand. it seems these 'solutions' that are provided aren't very helpful. very generic, without substantial information. they seem to be along the lines of 'make the bad stuff better'

Tim, your comments are out of line.

Tube Driver, you are either very naive to post what you did about wide-bodied aircraft landing long to save a long taxi or, dare I say it, stupid.

Tube Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tube Driver »

Call me what you will, all I am doing is relating what I have seen and heard. No agenda or slagging on these guys, It is what it is. You can can me naive or stupid, but I am not blind or deaf.

crankedup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by crankedup »

Tube Driver...

OK, maybe you saw some particular widebody aircraft taxi off the runway in question at the far end, but you should be aware that no pilot of this type of aircraft would ever land long in order to taxi off at the end. What you saw, or heard about, was someone taxiing at high speed (I've done it and it isn't dangerous) after landing in order to expedite clearing at the end of the runway they landed on. Assuming that was their goal.

This, rather than clearing the runway at the nearest available high speed turn off, or whatever, and then having to taxi at the normal speed (10-20kts) until they arrived at their cargo terminal, because it is both safe and faster. Consideration to your brakes is paramount at this point. More important for some aircraft than others.

You did not see anyone land a widebodied aircraft long in order to have a shorter taxi to their particular parking spot. If you think you did, I can assure you either you were seeing things or the pilot in question landed long in error, which happens. Certainly not on purpose. You can take this explanation to the bank. Sorry if it appears I think I know too much but these are the facts and you should take this information in because it's free and it's correct.

Tube Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tube Driver »

Gee, I guess I must be wrong. Shame how I never knew what was really happening in more than a decade or so of calling yyc my home field. Good to see that there are enlightened people like you out there to set me straight. Now just as a side note, I guess I never saw a 727 land 25 and make the left on charlie right in front of me. Man I guess I need to get my sight and hearing checked. Sorry for ever thinking that this actually happens. I suppose I will defer to you as you seem to be the expert in these matters. Man just what the hell was I imagining when I thought that I saw and heard these things happening. I suppose though I should cowtow to you and burry my head in the sand and forget that these events ever happened. Yea, that would be best for aviation safety, bow to pressure and suppress memories that do not conform to others reality.

Did I mention your a pompus aXX.

Or did I just imagine that as well?

crankedup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by crankedup »

Tube Driver

I hope you enjoy writing your posts. Sorry if I have stood up to your inane posts to your detriment on here. It's not my purpose to make someone look stupid for what they say on here nor is it of any particular benefit to anyone.

Moreover it is important to point out seemingly innoculous posts decreeing some point or another which may go unobserved but at the same time need to be corrected less the innocent public get the wrong idea of what is right and what is wrong, what is true and what is false.

Need I say more? You are a truly ignorant person with little in the way of actual intelligence in our field of aviation.

Good luck in your chosen profession.

It's never too late to reconsider and complete that course you were taking in Home Economics

Tube Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tube Driver »

Here is my name feel free to stop behind your user name and call me I will gladly discuss aviation with you. It is people like you who are afraid to step out into the light and love to be anonymous.

Craig Boechler 403-829-2640.

Now that I have shown that I have nothing to hide how about you put your money where your mouth is.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I feel sorry for my father and all those before me because they did not have the internet as an entertainment source.

It just does not get better than this.....

....have at each other boys! :smt040 :smt040

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Tube Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tube Driver »

Oops I seemed to get too caught up in the moment and made a spelling mistake. It should say to step out from behind your user name. Your right Cat, is does not get better than this. As you can appreciate, if a person attacks you personally for relating things you have seen they should be willing to come forward to defend those statements.

All I am doing is trying to put a stop to the silly name calling. If the poster in question is so bold as to make those kind of statements, then they should be so bold as to show themselves. If we all did this then the discussions on ths forum would stick to the business at hand and would no longer involve personal attacks. I respect those on here who are not afraid to make their identities known and I am just following suit. That way if I say something that offends someone we can talk about it in person either by phone or over coffee.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Exactly my sentiments tube driver.

If you wish to make a personal attack on another member of the forum then do it without the cover of anonymity.

To do otherwise shows cowardice.

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
crankedup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by crankedup »

Tube and Cat

Sorry guys, but if it's quite alright with both of you I'll continue to hide behind my username for the time being.

If you are afraid of being attacked personally for what you post then you should consider not posting at all or take the high road and only post something about which you have good knowledge.

In closing here, I'll point out that while my comments most assuredly got a bit too personal, I at no time have posted anything that is anything but correct in any way shape or form and invite either of you to say otherwise.

Crankedup

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

No need to explain to me cranked up for the simple reason I realize cranked up could be anyone therefore of no real interest to me.

However I do appreciate your concern for my being careful what I post especially considering I am dumb enough to use my real name here. :mrgreen: :rolleyes:

corytrevor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by corytrevor »

I'm just tired of people (self proclaimed experts) posting things on the internet that are simply wrong. For example, I wouldn't post about people departing on floats off of a "short lake" because I don't have a float rating. Tube Driver obviously isn't a pilot of "large cargo company aircraft land long so that it is a shorter taxi" and yet makes asinine comments about airline operations.

BTW Tube I am a pilot with one of those airlines with 12 years experience.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

You want to bring real change to the aviation world then bring in big brother – data trackers. We had them at Borek and I can tell you first hand guys were much more likely to follow the rules knowing the boss was watching what we were doing with his aircraft.

Now step it up a notch and make it so anytime someone is flying below a certain altitude within a given AC configuration/phase of flight and that info is automatically emailed to TC for review. I think you’d see .. running, breaking mins, and other related incidents/accidents would drop drastically.

We have an internal program like this at Westjet, any time we break a preprogrammed limit (and there are lots) the company is notified, it gets reviewed, we get called. While on one hand it may seem like “big brother” is watching, on the other it’s a silent reminder to follow your SOP’s, fly the plane how it’s meant to be flown.
It works.

Sure it will take some fun out of flying, but tell that to those who have died having fun.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Or those that have died while waiting to be found. Those trackers are a pilot's best friend as far as I'm concerned.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself

Return to “General Comments”