Resumes and Cover Letters Redux

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Krashman
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Resumes and Cover Letters Redux

Post by Krashman »

cheers thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Having trouble reaching ATC? Squak 7500
ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

I've started converting my digital resumes to pdf files before attaching them to any email. It's super easy to do using a free online converter and has a couple of benefits:

• formatting and layout is fixed. You don't have to worry about your resume shifting up or down on the page of somebody else's office program. This means you can put your resume and cover letter in one file and still know that they will be viewed as you intended.

•pdf's are easy to print

• everybody has the software to view them

• with a reader you can't accidentally edit or delete any of the text in the document.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)
Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

xsbank wrote:Those are both OK, but I would use a simpler font like Arial because it is easier to read; I would not include an objective (or an address) as your cover will state that; definitely include references; if you can't do one page its in fact due to having 12,000 hours on an MD-11 and now 'one page' doesn't matter. Now you should be in a functional resume and tell them how you instigated the SMS program in your company, how you fired all the whistleblowers and how you found a way to save them millions by recycling toilet paper, or whatever.

Good addition.
Actually including the address may be a good idea as the cover letter is likely to find it's way into the trash.

//=S=//

A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Nobody will contact you by snail mail and they certainly won't be knocking on your door so a phone number or e-mail address is all that they need. If they think there is a hassle hiring someone who lives in Vancouver when the job is in Ontario, your address may be a detriment yet you may be able to persuade them it is not a problem if you can talk to them. Certainly your area code will be a clue but all of this is subjective anyway - you have to do the work and calling them/contacting etc. is probably the most important part.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
100LL81
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 100LL81 »

Wow what a great post, thank you so much for all the info. I am just a 200 hour wonder looking to get a start and had no idea where to start with my resume. I was contemplating shelling out some bucks for one but really did not want to. I have learned a lot from all this info, again thanks.

Do you have any advice on how I can make myself stand out when I am competing against other pilots who have essentially the exact same credentials as me at this point when we are all just starting out.

Thanks

Rank 1

Post by Ville »

What do you guys think about including M.A. and B.A. after your name at the top of the resume? Also, do people put CPL Multi IFR after their name?
Thanks

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Modern days are seeing some changes but traditionally you only put a post-grad degree behind your name, so MA would be correct. However, if you are looking for a bush or beginner job, the degree after your name may be seen as pretentious and might be a detriment. Definitely do NOT put your flying credentials behind your name because despite your pride in accomplishing those goals, they are not recognised credentials nor are we considered professionals yet so we cannot do the pilot equivalent of P.Eng. Maybe once we get a college?

"What's it doing now?"
Rank 1

Post by Ville »

Thanks xsbank. Also, appreciate your thread in general. :D I've been tailoring my resume all day and your examples have been really helpful. I will also heed your advice regarding the degrees.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I'm glad this stuff is useful - just remember it is only one of our tools to find a job. Probably more than any other industry, personal appearances are important; apply for every job that you WANT, not just those that you think you can qualify for. That's saved me in a few career moves in the past.

"What's it doing now?"
Rank 1

Post by Ville »

back to working on my resume... I saw you mentioned including your licence number in your resume. Can I ask why is that? Can they tell something by my licence number I should know about? (i.e. how much I can BS about my qualifications :wink: joking!)
Another question: Someone said not to bother applying for a position you are not qualified for. Let's say they want 1000TT for FO's and you have 250. Could you send them a resume saying you understand you aren't qualified, but you are willing to put in your dues to eventually move up, or is this just wasting everyone's time?
Thanks again!

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I think that a license is so intrinsic to what we do that it adds a solidity to a resume - you need to do what you think works for you.

I got 2 jobs in my history that "I was not qualified for." I happen to think that anyone can be qualified for any position, given the willingness of the trainer and the ability to absorb by the candidate. A lot of times the employer doesn't really know what he wants besides a warm body to do the work, so why not give him more choice?

Bottom line and to repeat myself, there are no rules for this, do what works best for you.

"What's it doing now?"
Rank 1

Post by Ville »

Ok, sounds good. Thanks again for your help. On to the cover letter...

GTODD
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GTODD »

What do you guys think about including M.A. and B.A. after your name at the top of the resume?
I recall in university we were forced to take a technical writing course. In this course we spent a lot of time “learning” how to write effective resumes and cover letters. I recall the instructor stressing quite adamantly that yes you should include B.A. or B.Sc. after your name once you finished your undergraduate degree.

I guess what frustrates me is that this guy got paid a lot of money to just essentially give us his opinion on how a resume should look. I don’t think there is an answer that is always right for this question; it just depends on what the person who will be reading it thinks.

Dhc6to8
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dhc6to8 »

Hi XS et al,
Thanks for posting all this valuable information. I have always limited my resume to one page, but after reading this I will have another look at what I have put together - and get it all sorted! The funny thing is, when I got to 500 hours total time, I never believed I would reach 1000 hours, when I pushed 5000 hours I still couldn't believe it... now that I am within a go/around or two of 10000 hours I still can't believe it! But the strangest thing is that now that I have the heavy turboprop command hours, medium jet command and a logbook that weights in with 85% PIC I am having problems finding a new job.... I can remember being told when I first started out that jobs would be easier to find once I had some time under my belt! Ja, right!! I guess it is much like fishing... if they ain't bitting, change the bait!
6to8

supertramp737
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by supertramp737 »

I got 2 jobs in my history that "I was not qualified for."
Is that possible, regardless of insurance requirements?

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I'm living proof...

"What's it doing now?"
bubby
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bubby »

I have close to 5000 hrs and 20 years in the military. I'm trying to wrap my head around the resume thing. Do I just say 1990 to present - military pilot. And then list all the positions/jobs held including duties and responsibilities? Alternatively, should I break the dates down more based on postings from one "job" to another, including the duties, responsibilities and achievements. Last question...would you include simulator and instructional time? Should I also break out the small amount of civilian time from my military totals?

Thanks in advance

nortont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nortont »

When rounding hours for your resume.

How many hrs (5's, 10's) should you go round up too ??

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

If you are brand new, be more rigid (67.8 hours 172 or 68?). Otherwise, use logic: 5,283.2 hours Beav. or 5300?

Keep it simple.

"What's it doing now?"
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Great post xsbank, nice of you to take the time to post it.

The last two pilot resumes I looked at were absolutely painful!

Also agree with ragbagflyer about the .pdf conversions.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan

Return to “Employment Forum”