Spectrum Airways in Burlngton

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

CanFlyBoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Spectrum Airways in Burlngton

Post by CanFlyBoy »

Has anyone heard if this is a good spot to get your Instructor rating done?
---------- ADS -----------

mculshaw
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mculshaw »

they do have a large number of instructors on staff, so you may have better odds of getting on with them when you are finished.

The ultimate question when looking for a place to do an instructor rating - "will you hire me when i'm finished?"

CanFlyBoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CanFlyBoy »

Wouldn't you have to prove you would be a good instructor anyway before they hire you?

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

To the best of my knowledge they only have one class one on staff right now, but she's OK. In terms of hiring you, I know of a few people that trained there and did not get hired, but I can say that about most schools. PM me if you're looking for more info, or .... :lol: if you want to do an instructor rating!

PA31 Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by PA31 Driver »

Thier a pretty good school and the CFI is not just ok, but great. A very nice person and friend......

flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

No mult-time instruction until you reach Class 2 I believe...

multiprop
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by multiprop »

Well it is very tough to get on. Unfortunately the school staff is a clique from the people I have talked too. There are instructors I know that have been trying to get on for years to no avail. The CFI and the owner say talk to the other person, yet when you apporach them niether one wants to take on the responsibility of acutally telling you that you never have a chance in hell of getting hired. I was also talk to one businessman from Toronto that was toying around with the idea of buying Spectrum and the airfield. Big bucks I told him. His response was a penny in the bucket for him. Which in reality means that if he were to buy the school...we are talking new aircraft and an overall better organization.

CanFlyBoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CanFlyBoy »

Is there a reason why it is so hard to get a job Instructing at Spectrum?

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

I'll give credit where credit is due here. Spectrum tends to only hire when they really need someone. This makes things a bit better for the people that they do hire in that most people that work there are busy. Contrast this to one of the established schools at the Island were they tend to hire everyone that did a rating; most of their instructors spend a good deal of time on the couch because the student base is spread between too many people. Talk with the CFI before you make a commitment. (note that I said the CFI, not the owner)

PA31 Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by PA31 Driver »

mcrit wrote:. (note that I said the CFI, not the owner)
Yes I agree............................talk to her....

multiprop
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by multiprop »

Well, I know that other guys and myself have talked to the CFI and no go. First it was we are looking for a Class 3. That was when I had my Class 4 rating, then when I received the Class 3 rating it was we require a Class 2 rating. The CFI even told me that if I were to bring in my own students then they could put me on board. When I called her and told her that I had 3 students plus another student willing to do their Multi/IFR she told me that they could not help me. Why a school would turn away business is beyond anyone's comprehension??? The story constantly changes and one really does not know what they want/are looking for.

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

That CFI sounds like a beeeeach.

Timing is everything.
PA31 Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by PA31 Driver »

Tango01 wrote:That CFI sounds like a beeeeach.

No she's not...............your just being a dick !

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

multiprop:
Don't take this personally, but I think she just didn't like you. :lol:
(no disrespect intended buddy!) Don't worry, you were most likely better off not working there.

Tango:
That was harsh, but there are others that may agree with you. (Talk to the flying Dutchman at YTZ)

PA31:
Not everyone that works there has had the .... opportunities for advancement that you have, hence a variety of opinions.

multiprop
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by multiprop »

It seems that she does have her favorites. One example, Called the CFI and had a very nice conversation with her. She told me to drop by, submit my resume and we could have a chat. When I show up she tells me that they have already hired and are not looking for anymore instructors. All this happened in the course of 1 day! Who do they hire, the ex-CFI of WWFC. In my opinion, this individual should not be instructing. His professionalism is questionable. I have had numerous discussions with many, many people about this CFI and there is one consensus - he never looks at you when he speaks to you! It give you the impression that he has something to hide and is never tells the truth!

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

I rest my case multi. Why would she tell you to go see her, if she already hired somebody else???

T01

Timing is everything.
Nvrgvup
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Nvrgvup »

Multi - the ex CFI at the WWFC has more professionalism than anyone in aviation that I know. He has integrity, which in this industry rarely exists. You may think you know why he is not working at the WWFC anymore but I think we have all found out that the flight centre has several skeletons in it's closet so lets not speculate. At the end of the day, he protected his instructors and gave them a fair chance to earn a living by only hiring at number of instructors that was needed.....something the new CFI is not doing. It is a shame, it really is that this philosophy of hiring as many instructors as you can, regardless of ability, exists....its only a matter of time until this practice bites you in the ass and there is a serious accident......and then we will chat again about professionalism and CFI's.....as for his quirk about not looking at you when he speaks, well, you got me there, he does do that but really, grow up.....

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

old profit moffat loves to do instructor ratings like regency loves to do PPC's.

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Go Regency Go!!!

Timing is everything.
multiprop
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by multiprop »

Hey Nvrgvup, just take a sec here. I worked with this guy and let me tell you he might have given his instructors assistance and worked with them. He might have also treated them professionally, but let me tell you from personal expereice, when the S^%T hits the fan he runs the other way. I would never let you say your two cents. This has nothing to do with hiring too many instructors or letting them earn a living. I am all for that. This has to do with the fact that the individual is not honest and lies through his teeth. I personally feel that what comes around goes around and he has started getting his. An individual in that position cannot continue taking only one side of the coin. Eventually its comes back to haunt you and it has for him. As for the last point of eye-contact - in this age you must make eye contact with an individual. Let me tell you from personal experience - and this is coming from the business side of aviation and the upper crust of the hiring boards of the airline industry - no eye contact = what do you have to hide. Always be professional!

Return to “Flight Training”