Maintenance Engineers

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Fox 3
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Maintenance Engineers

Post by Fox 3 »

Tires319 wrote: Are you knew to this industry or just retarded?
*snicker*
---------- ADS -----------

bleedair
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bleedair »

It doesnt matter if you twisted wrenches with your daddy since you were 3 or straight out of ubc or some foreign dumb f*CK who didnt finish grade 8 and can't spit words in ingrish, BCIT puts you in a pot with all your money and cranks you out to be the same as everyone else. A Cars blabbing moron, waste of skin, unemployed, broke with no mentor, no hope, no future. No one wants apprentices right now. Middle aged manpower scoffs at us because they are jealous and dont want to lose their jobs and they are scoundrels. Employers dont seem to give a rats behind. They dont show themselves, they trash resumes, they do a piss poor job on the phone, and they are all uneducated arrogant little jackals who couldnt agree, coming to terms with the economy, to hire just one apprentice per company. The economy is the way it is either go work at safeway or stop shopping for stupid useless courses at the BS institute of trash and get a real education elsewhere. Dont try to get your hands on the oily flying tubes of death cause you will get caulkblocked and end up at home, sending online resumes for 2 years to arrogant companies like worst jet and be stomped all over like rotten dung by all the smaller companies. All while the economy keeps getting worse. Don't expect BCIT instructors to get you a job. Thats their claim to fame but it aint like that no more. You got a bunch of old men who are hiding there wanking off i swear they are drunk almost all the time, and poor useless idiots myself included who wanted to work their way from the bottom up but instead shoot pool during school hours and get a job in a sweat shop for some fat phuck who keeps saying "it will get better, just hang in there" I've never met an AME who tells me they love what they do, or say some corny line like the hangar is my office. All i hear is complaints, whining about broken marriages, and stuck up little turds who think they are god because they fix planes when dam well they are insecure miserable little tyrants who've been misendowed. Employers, you do a horrible job of coming out to hire apprentices, you don't teach, you don't mentor. You are the reason young people are not the AMEs of tomorrow. Your promises are as empty as the wind

Last edited by bleedair on Tue May 04, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

We have met the enemy and he is us....

:rolleyes:

The fastest way to turn money into smoke and noise..
212wrench
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 212wrench »

To Bleed Air- I can only paraphrase Mark Twain, "It's one thing to have the world think your and idiot, its another to make posts that eliminate all doubt"
You know what gets you a job and enables you to keep a job? ATTITUDE and by your post I can only say your attitude, as Bart Simpson said, "It blows and sucks". Can you tell me where it says that BCIT instructors (or any ATO's instructors) are responsible for getting you a job? Just so you know, there are jobs out there for apprentices, the problem is you have to get off you fat ar*se and go find them. And another thing, I love being an AME, have been married for over 15 years, got a nice house, great kids, have done things that I tell "common folk" what I have done and where I have been and they are amazed that one profession enables you to do all that. I have said this before and will repeat myself, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT QUIT, give the job to someone who wants it.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I took an introductory maintenance course at BCIT years ago and the first thing I remember seeing on the wall of that old Boeing hanger was a poster that said:
Attitude is everything!
This is a tough industry. BCIT has gone downhill since I was there (I'm actually a SAIT graduate). Most AMEs aren't the best managers or HR people, but neither are the white collar, wine and cheese department types who typically aren't constrained by the bounds of reality.

The truth is this industry is hurting. Jobs are being sold to cheaper countries and BCIT keeps on cranking classes out; a long cry from when I started where I had to wait for a year and go out of province to get my course and had a job within a week of finishing. But this is in everything, not just aviation.

I've found that in aviation, you sometimes have to be creative. Not every company can ferry aircraft to the third world to get maintenance done. Go north, check out companies that you wouldn't think would have a place for AMEs (paint shops, private operators, flight schools, small helicopter companies), and be adaptable. It isn't the instructor's job to find you work.

PS: I will be celebrating my 8th anniversary next month... :mrgreen:

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

I went to a small college in Northern B.C.

The instructors there actually did hook several of us up with jobs.

Surprise-surprise though; There were some people who they DIDN'T hook up !

Bleedair - personal attack removed by Sulako

It is only in this country that with your attitude, you'd even be able to feed yourself.

You should travel a little - see how the real world works.

Nobody owes you squat.

'48

casey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by casey »

Plus 1 on that 48
I had to leave my moms loveing arms and go out into the real world to find a job.And so far the trips been a great adventure.

c170b53
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by c170b53 »

Attitude? I say "Run Forrest Run".
Its a simple numbers and PR game where the numbers have been falling at everyone's expense. There's no money in this business and slowly just about everybody knows it. Its a PR game in denying that there's no money because after all they still want to run it, again at your expense (life).
You can love this game all you want and good for you if you can live off off love but most of us need money to live somewhere near this game. Probably the worst manifestation of the " no money era" of aviation (preceded by the Lead age era) is the lack of accountability in every aspect of this industry because it just doesn't pay enough.
No government oversight= no money.
No training or training by chimps? = no money.
No manufacturers support? =no money.
Airlines folding replaced by even flakier outfits = because they want to provide good service to the community and their customers= for all you Forrest's out there.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

+1 for c170

http://mindflipbooks.ca/
PJ1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PJ1 »

Bleedair nice first post, I can see some truths in a lot of what you say except the part about AME'S not being multy skilled, most AME's are pretty good at many things.

Before you choose a new carrer do some reading and figure out what you are suited for start here.

http://kisa.ca/personality/

Schimunga
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Schimunga »

212wrench--I see that you like using quotes so I got one for you. "Those who can't do, teach."

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

I was thinking the same thing. quite a few instructors from my school, especially the head instructor then were crap ames and crap instructors . I really found that out after I'd been out in the field awhile and heard some first hand stories. I saw one of them recently after many years away from school and i couldnt believe how little i respected him. really did not get past thinking what a goof he was/is after flashingback to all the bs and the god attitude he had at the school. didnt bother even talking to him.
Maybe when you tell everyone who is disappointed with being an ame to quit, you should be careful of students taking the same advice and leaving no work for instructors. but wait, i think thats already happening isnt it?

212wrench
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 212wrench »

"Maybe when you tell everyone who is disappointed with being an ame to quit, you should be careful of students taking the same advice and leaving no work for instructors. but wait, i think thats already happening isnt it?"

So the lack of AME's is caused by poor instruction. Talk about looking for the easy way out. School gives you a license to learn, nothing more. Blame everyone else for your problems. I stand by my first statement, Its all about attitude. I don't need to defend instructors, your gonna blame your shortcomings on them anyways. In fact you'll find anything to blame your problems on and until you look in the mirror, your not gonna find your answer.

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

In fact you'll find anything to blame your problems on and until you look in the mirror, your not gonna find your answer.
As this people, is the rotten root of this whole thread.

Well put 212.

'48

partsboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by partsboy »

After reading this thread I realize that we may be our own worst enemy. On the one hand people who have the passion are being criticized for doing what they love for not as much money than they could get. Others seem to think that they are being shortchanged in comparison with pilots; their "union" is stronger than ours. You don't see them criticizing each other on salary.

And theres my point. We criticize each other when we should support each other and bring our point forward about what we do. The pilots bring the planes up there but WE keep them there. Without us, there would be more business for the trains and buses. It is ironic though that an appliance repair guy gets more salary than an AME that fixes the aircraft he takes to go vacation. When will we realize that the responsability we have when we sign out an aircraft is just as important as when the aircrew sign it out. Once we start working towards this, then and only then will we start making headway towards getting better compensation for our efforts.

The aircrew are complaining now about low wages. Just wait until the higher paid ones start getting the treatment a lot of us experience right now. Maybe then will we be able to get together and have the attitude of operators change.

My 2 cents worth. :partyman:

Ad Hoc Opusculum Fac! other wise put, Kept in the dark and ....
chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

So the lack of AME's is caused by poor instruction. Talk about looking for the easy way out. School gives you a license to learn, nothing more. Blame everyone else for your problems. I stand by my first statement, Its all about attitude. I don't need to defend instructors, your gonna blame your shortcomings on them anyways. In fact you'll find anything to blame your problems on and until you look in the mirror, your not gonna find your answer.

LAck of ame's is because of poor money and conditions and i dont see where i said instructors are the cause. are you for sure talking about my post? doesnt look like it you seem to be just ranting. i dont see where i was blaming instructors or everyone else for the problems you say i have. i blame instructors for poor quality apprentices coming out of schools and there are many of those and i blame them for lying to people to try and get them to enrol in the course.i mentioned how i ran into a lousy instructor from a school i went to longtime ago and that if everyone follows your awesome just quit advice instructors will have no one to instruct. if you dont understand my post please quote where you are having trouble with my writing and i will try to help you.
the rest of your reply is baseless as my post did not go anywhere where you are coming from and it looks like you just have a rehearsed answer ready to go. i think you might be used to trying to defend your the industry is awesome theres just bad attitude ames who say bad things about it position. i think thats why your response is the way it is
i hope you understand your students better than you did my post.

bleedair
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bleedair »

I apologize for my first post which was, in hindsight, pretty disgusting. After much time of walking on wet pavement job hunting and hours of searching online, when nothing turned up I was frustrated, drunk, and depressed. Right now the economy isnt great, but most people say attitude and being creative is important and it will get better. And I didnt mean to say AMEs aren't multi skilled, it was a jab to some people I went to school becoming AME's with who didn't know their right hand from their left, and it's not fair to people who are really talented at what they do to be thrown in the same pot. Oh well. I don't think an instructor should get you the job, but they bloody well better talk about the industry when questions are asked. Rather than gloating about their endorsements, and saying the "well, that is something you will have to research, Im not sure, by the by these pants are from airtransat" talk about ways to get that logbook filled out, maybe doing menial work in some outback shack painting seat frames. Everytime you get dolled up for a resume dropoff or interview, a necessary evil called an HR person is going to shaft you in the bum, like that tranny from Viking Air so thats why BCIT has to be on the ball and connect you with the right people, Anywhere. That is why sometimes it seemed like BCIT was a waste of time and money, and the panic of trying to start a career in something with no guidepost . The panic, ever high now with not even a rampee job in Yellowknife. Sarry ya'll stay positive and don't ever accept a used handkercheif from a pilot :prayer: :smt008 :goodman:

bombardierfixer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bombardierfixer »

[quote="partsboy"]After reading this thread I realize that we may be our own worst enemy.

You've hit the nail on the head with that one, somthing I say every shift. The AME association that I have found myself part of is a good example of that. It would seem that we have no direction and we are chasing causes that will never come to fruition. We are constantly at each others throats, protecting our little pieces of pie and steering our own agendas. We constiantly feel that our base is the hardest and most overworked, and the other guys do nothing, which when its every base, either nothing is being done or its all getting done.

Okay this may be naive, but I don't think management uses this against us but they probably do in the back of their minds think "Don't worry, maintenance can't get their shit together" But this makes us ripe for the picking of a union. We just need to sit down and get a dialogue going, figure out a couple of priorities and then run with it. We are all adults and we profess to be somewhat proffessional. I think it can be done, christ I hope it can be done.

There now I've stood up, fire away!

Meecka
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Meecka »

partsboy wrote:After reading this thread I realize that we may be our own worst enemy.

Agreed. My oh my what a strange new world it would be if we could just organize ourselves to work TOGETHER, instead of only looking out for our own asses. Change in our industry isn't just going to happen. We as a colective group have to make it happen.

Fling Wing
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Fling Wing »

Wow, to think that the aircraft people fly in everyday could be maintained by people with this type of attitude. I know that there are apprentice jobs out there somewhere, and there always will be, you just have to put some actual effort into it. If you don't like it, don't do it, you only live once, so make yourself happy.

Return to “Maintenance”