AVCANADA

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:05 am

All times are UTC-07:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next
Author Message
 Post subject: jazz interview questions
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:31 am 
Offline
Rank 0
Rank 0

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:27 am
Posts: 1
Hey everyone,

I have an interview this week with Jazz and was wondering if anyone had any interview questions that have been asked? Please post what ya have.
Also anyone know what they are hiring for mostly these days or is it 50/50.
Thanks



Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:16 am 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:56 pm
Posts: 1870
From a previous post:

Personnel conducting the interview wanted specific examples from you’re career when
answering the questions. The best responses followed the SPARE or SAR/PAR
answering technique.
1) Tell us about yourself?
2) Why do you want to work for us?
3) What do you know about our company?
4) How did you get into aviation / how did you become a pilot?
5) What do you like / dislike about your present job?
6) Have you ever failed a checkride?
7) Does your boss know you are here?
1) Describe a time when you had to sell an idea to a team.
2) Tell us a time when you made a mistake and what did you learn from it.
3) Do you have any incidents or accidents?
4) What will the biggest challenge be for you seating in the right seat?
5) How do you feel about seating in the right seat for 10 years?
6) How will you survive on our starting salary in Toronto?
7) Tell us about you’re career to date and the positions you held.
Tell us a time when outside factors influenced you at work.
9) Tell us an example of a satisfying work experience.
10) Have you ever failed a medical?
11) Have you ever had to take control of an aircraft from a First Officer?
12) Have you ever attempted to train anyone that was “untrainable”?
13) Describe a time when you went above and beyond you’re job description.
14) Have you ever had a conflict with a fellow pilot? How did you resolve that situation?
15) Describe a time when you would have liked to see more out of the managers in
you’re company.
16) Have you ever been unprepared for a flight?
17) What do you know about Jazz?
1 Are you interested in other companies? Why not Westjet? What would you do if
mainline or WestJet calls after you are hired?
The interview was about 45 minutes long. I had 1 human resource woman and 2 pilots.
Make sure you’re logbook is certified and up to date.
S – Situation Briefly describe the situation where the problem occurred.
P – Problem State the problem faced.
A – Action State what you did to resolve the problem.
R – Results What happened (good or bad, successfully or unsuccessfully).
E – Experience What you took away or learned from this event.
S/P – Situation / Problem
A – Action
R – Result
1. Tell me about yourself and how your aviation career led you to this point
2. What do you know about Jazz?
3. Why do you want to work for Jazz?
4. Why should we hire you?
5. Why would you be good at Jazz?
6. What do you think the toughest part of the transition to Jazz will be?
7. Do you think you have the skills to fly a jet?
8. Does anyone from your company know that you are here? (management)
9. Why do you want to leave your present job?
10. What will you miss about the job you are in?
11. Describe your daily life at your present job.
12. What do you do to prepare for a flight?
13. What is your goal before a flight?
14. What is the most important part of your job at wherever you work?
15. What is the most difficult part of your job at wherever you work?
16. Tell me a time when you were EITHER satisfied or dissatisfied with the company
that you work for
17. What was the most fun job you ever had?
18. What was the best job you ever had?
19. Have you ever had a personality conflict with somebody you worked with?
20. Name a time when you and an F/O butted heads.
21. Name a time when there was tension in the cockpit.
22. Name a time when you were at fault and took the blame for it.
23. Name a time when you made a mistake
24. Have you ever had to take control from somebody?
25. Has anyone ever had to take control from you?
26. Name a time when you had to discipline somebody
27. Name a time when you had to turn down a flight
28. Name a time when you rushed into something?
29. Name a time when you had to confront somebody for breaking the law or a
regulation or a procedure.
30. Name a time when your piloting skills came into play.
31. Tell me a time when you had to get a group of people to do something they
refused to do.
32. Have you ever had to force and issue?
33. Have you ever had to motivate or diffuse a group in order to achieve a goal
34. Tell me a time when you had to persuade a group to do something they didn’t
want to do
35. Have you ever let the pressure get to you?
36. Name a time when you worked as a team and didn’t accomplish your goal.


_________________
‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:58 am 
Offline
Top Poster
Top Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm
Posts: 18742
(37) Have you ever had a conflict on Avcanada, and how did you solve it?

_________________
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:05 pm 
Offline
Rank 6
Rank 6
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:59 pm
Posts: 485
highabove wrote:
Hey everyone,

I have an interview this week with Jazz and was wondering if anyone had any interview questions that have been asked? Please post what ya have.
Also anyone know what they are hiring for mostly these days or is it 50/50. Thanks


More or less. Slighty more on the Dash. All bases open.



Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:08 pm 
Offline
Rank 5
Rank 5

Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:26 pm
Posts: 342
"Are you ready to fly a jet that used to say "AIR CANADA" on the side"?
"Are you ready to fly Air Canada's passengers?"
"Are you ready to wear Air Canada's uniform?"


"Will you be surprised if Air Canada turns you down anyways?"



Top
   
 Post subject: Jazz questions
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:02 am 
Offline
Rank 0
Rank 0

Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:50 am
Posts: 6
1. Have you ever failed a ride?
2. Tell a time when you had to make a team work for a reward?
3. What do you know about Jazz?
4. Are you willing to move?


All I remembered, hope it helps good luck



Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:48 pm 
Offline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:18 am
Posts: 15
Are there any IFR questions on the interview?


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:38 pm 
Offline
Rank 2
Rank 2

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:01 pm
Posts: 67
Location: PQ
Ralphred wrote:
Are there any IFR questions on the interview?


Weren't any when I did it in 2007.
Most questions are about your experience, very few hypothetic questions, if any at all.



Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:46 pm 
Offline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:18 am
Posts: 15
Great thanks for the heads up!


Top
   
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:44 pm 
Offline
Rank 2
Rank 2
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:12 pm
Posts: 70
Location: Van City
TopperHarley wrote:
6) How will you survive on our starting salary in Toronto?


I'd give my left nut to be asked this in their interview so I could say "I can't." and walk out.
I'm actually going through their hiring process right now in order to gain interview and Dash-8 sim experience for an overseas gig I'm applying for (I wouldn't work for Jazz in a million years). I hope that's not unethical.



Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:20 pm 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:11 am
Posts: 1547
Location: Manitoba
So, you're the reason I had to pay my own way to the initial interview. With more people like you, maybe pilots will have to pay their own way to sim aswell. Maybe with more **** coming to Jazz and fu#%ng off to WJ after 3 months we'll have a bond. I hope you do go through the process and I hope you get your PLEASE F$%K OFF letter too. That should be good for the ego, hey?

_________________
"Stand-by, I'm inverted"


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:00 pm 
Offline
Rank 5
Rank 5
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:01 pm
Posts: 377
Location: Fragrant Harbour
[quote="Samson"
I'd give my left nut to be asked this in their interview so I could say "I can't." and walk out.
I'm actually going through their hiring process right now in order to gain interview and Dash-8 sim experience for an overseas gig I'm applying for (I wouldn't work for Jazz in a million years). I hope that's not unethical.[/quote]


Ahh, a prime example why this industry suck ass in this country.

Thanks jackass.


_________________
"I have control!"


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:22 pm 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:33 pm
Posts: 1059
Location: YYC
Samson wrote:
TopperHarley wrote:
6) How will you survive on our starting salary in Toronto?


I'd give my left nut to be asked this in their interview so I could say "I can't." and walk out.
I'm actually going through their hiring process right now in order to gain interview and Dash-8 sim experience for an overseas gig I'm applying for (I wouldn't work for Jazz in a million years). I hope that's not unethical.



Your full of $#!T. The only place you're going to say it is here!



Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:24 pm 
Offline
Rank 2
Rank 2
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:12 pm
Posts: 70
Location: Van City
Wow, some sensitive types here. The industry sucks in Canada because I refuse to work for shockingly low pay? Or does it suck if I use a small amount of HR and middle management's time to better myself for the future?

Here's another shocker for you, I've dated women I didn't intend to marry!

RE: Bond's
You're basically paying for your training by working for Jazz's starting wage. They've just disguised it to make it palatable to the short sighted among us. I'd much rather see a refundable bond or promissory note with a livable wage from the start.



Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:53 pm 
Offline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:46 am
Posts: 31
Though I don't entirely agree with what he is doing...he has a point. Jazz (and other companies) brings this on themselves with their pay, hard to keep guys around with 36K initially a year and 10yrs in the right seat. Its a 2 way street...if only we could figure this out, maybe the industry wouldn't be so messed up. Hopefully this will be rectified in the new contract you boys/girls are gonna have...best of luck with it, you deserve it!


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:12 pm 
Offline
Rank 11
Rank 11
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:24 pm
Posts: 3425
Personally, I wouldn't do an interview just to gain sim experience, or a free first class trip to sandland. In the end your just hurting yourself by burning that bridge because you never know what may happen down the road.
This is aviation and it is in constant state of change.


If the Jazz pilots manage to suceed with their "career contract" I think you may see fewer pilots use them like the stepping stone that they currently are. But thats another topic.


_________________
The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:31 am 
Offline
Rank 2
Rank 2
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:12 pm
Posts: 70
Location: Van City
Good point KAG. I should probably just make up some excuse if I get an employment offer instead of flipping the table over in the interview. I heard from a Jazz friend that HR knows about this thread and there trying to figure out who people are from their previous posts :shock:. So that's all for now. Who knows maybe they'll get that great contract before I tell them to PFO and I'll end up a Jazzer after all :smt040. What was it? "GO JAZZ GO". :lol:


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:40 am 
Offline
Rank 0
Rank 0

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:31 am
Posts: 3
mbav8r wrote:
Maybe with more **** coming to Jazz and fu#%ng off to WJ after 3 months we'll have a bond.


The reason people come to jazz then fu#%k off to WJ after 3 months is mostly because the average salary at Jazz is just about the same or a little less then the 3rd yr f/o salary at WJ. I can't blame them, most f/o's would probably take that move, even if they say they wouldn't. It's interesting how opinons change when opportunity presents itself.

I don't think Jazz will ever have a bond. Jazz thinks it's cheaper to train new hires, even with the attrition, then pay a decent salary to it's pilots. No counting for experience eh...

We all are hoping that changes soon....

cheers



Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:53 am 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:11 am
Posts: 1547
Location: Manitoba
Quote:
The reason people come to jazz then fu#%k off to WJ after 3 months is mostly because the average salary at Jazz is just about the same or a little less then the 3rd yr f/o salary at WJ. I can't blame them, most f/o's would probably take that move, even if they say they wouldn't. It's interesting how opinons change when opportunity presents itself.

Umm, No the reason is because they knew a way in to WJ was the training at Jazz. 2-3 years ago, when the revovling door was smoking hot, the 3rd year FO wage was on par with Jazz FO salary. The first year actually worked out to a paycut, when you factor in less per diems and taxed on the 20% compared to 1st year at Jazz. If you factor in the new hires stock options probably aren't doing well and no pension at WJ, I wouldn't say it's a whole lot better there. No one ever compares work rules when factoring compensation, but just compare WJ block to Jazz. I believe it's wheels up to wheels down, but at Jazz it's brake release at the gate. Just think of all that time spent taxiing and holding off the gate for red alerts that you're not paid for, min 15 or 16 days at work. No pay for DH. They may be paid more but they're working alot harder for it.


_________________
"Stand-by, I'm inverted"


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:27 am 
Offline
Rank 4
Rank 4

Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:47 am
Posts: 221
mbav8r wrote:
Quote:
The reason people come to jazz then fu#%k off to WJ after 3 months is mostly because the average salary at Jazz is just about the same or a little less then the 3rd yr f/o salary at WJ. I can't blame them, most f/o's would probably take that move, even if they say they wouldn't. It's interesting how opinons change when opportunity presents itself.

Quote "Umm, No the reason is because they knew a way in to WJ was the training at Jazz. 2-3 years ago, when the revovling door was smoking hot, the 3rd year FO wage was on par with Jazz FO salary. The first year actually worked out to a paycut, when you factor in less per diems and taxed on the 20% compared to 1st year at Jazz. If you factor in the new hires stock options probably aren't doing well and no pension at WJ, I wouldn't say it's a whole lot better there. No one ever compares work rules when factoring compensation, but just compare WJ block to Jazz. I believe it's wheels up to wheels down, but at Jazz it's brake release at the gate. Just think of all that time spent taxiing and holding off the gate for red alerts that you're not paid for, min 15 or 16 days at work. No pay for DH. They may be paid more but they're working alot harder for it."


Your post is highly inaccurate. Especially with regard to block time.

WestJet fo's are probably compensated better and have a higher level of job satisfaction than any other airline in North America. The flood of ex-Jazz pilots through our doors only goes to show that those pilots understand this.



Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:13 am 
Offline
Rank 5
Rank 5

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:44 pm
Posts: 337
I had a call from David in Halifax 5 days after the job was posted. I filed the application form but I waited before I submitted it to see where would the openings be and on which type. Somehow, they must have gotten my application because they called me. He asked me a few questions, if I had an ATPL, red pass, etc... Then he asked me if I was willing to relocated... I hesitated, but I said I would prefer YUL, YYC or YVR, but not YYZ neither YHZ. Then he asked me if 36200 was enough of a salary... I said it is acceptable for YUL, but not for YYZ and YVR (I forgot to say YYC)...

So with those two questions, I just showed I wanted a YUL base ... :) I just wanted to be honest, but I think he prefered to call somebody else...

I haven't heard from him since... So I'm sure when the guys go for an interview, they all had to answer those questions over the phone... because they must do a screening call first.

So Samson, did you get that type of call ?

If WJ would call me, I know its for 737 in YYC, if Porter would call me, I know its for a Q400 in YTZ... Normally, any company that hires you, before you say "yes", you usually know your base and type. With Jazz, you only know on the 2nd day of GS (unless it has changed). If David would have told me : YUL base with Dash-8 or CRJ... or Q400, it could have been a different story... at least I have something to base my decisions with.



Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:34 am 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:11 am
Posts: 1547
Location: Manitoba
Ok Ivanhoe, which part of my post is inaccurate? Other than highly, care to correct those terms of employment, I'm so inaccurate about. I do know several people who work there, I have been told about all of those conditions, so unless I've been lied to.

_________________
"Stand-by, I'm inverted"


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:40 am 
Offline
Rank 2
Rank 2

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:23 pm
Posts: 64
My God, how times have changed! Pilots are now turning down opportunities to work for a reputable carrier flying excellent aircraft with awesome benefits and resources, because they are concerned about the BASE???

Maybe it's not the times that have changed so much as the players.

:rolleyes:



Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:45 am 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:11 am
Posts: 1547
Location: Manitoba
Jer, yes those are the 2 questions used to weed out potential candidates. The bottom line is, you won't find out about base or equipment until you draw your seniority number, I believe day 3. There is no way under a seniority system to tell you where, until you have a number. There are 5 bases, therefore 5 possibilties of where you will be based. The simple answer is yes, I am willing to relocate, and yes the salary is acceptable, anything else and you basically told them, if you end up with YYZ base you'll be taking the next best offer that comes along. I feel bad for you, if you wanted to be here, because you may have blown your chance(pure speculation).
For anyone, who gets those questions, I did, you answer yes because if you don't get your base or equipment, you commute and bid for your desired base and equipment.


_________________
"Stand-by, I'm inverted"


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:37 am 
Offline
Rank 2
Rank 2

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:01 pm
Posts: 67
Location: PQ
Quote:
Normally, any company that hires you, before you say "yes", you usually know your base and type.


You wouldn't know at AC either.



Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next

All times are UTC-07:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], ted_stryker and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
[ GZIP: Off ]

For questions/comments please send them to
avcanada@gmail.com


AvCanada Topsites List
AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. If you feel a topic or post is inappropriate email us at avcanada@gmail.com .  By reading these forums you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable. This website is not responsible or liable in any way for any false or misleading messages or job ads placed at our site. 

Use AvCanada's information at your own risk!

We reserve the right to remove any messages that we deem unacceptable.
When you post a message, your IP is logged and may be provided to concerned parties where unethical or illegal behavior is apparent. All rights reserved.