Looking for acrobatic training CYKF (or CYZR,CYKZ)

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

PunkStarStudios
Rank 3
Rank 3

Looking for acrobatic training CYKF (or CYZR,CYKZ)

Post by PunkStarStudios »

I'll post this in the acrobat forum as well...

I fly a Navajo (corporate) out of Kitchener/Waterloo - so I go in and out of that airport a lot during the course of a week. I've noticed several times that there are some acrobatic stuff going on just north a few miles of the airport (I understand there is an acrobatic "box" they practice in). I've also hear rumours of a acrobatic instructor/club out there as well (a friend of a friend of a friend a long time ago got an intro ride as a BDay present).

I live in Toronto (Maple) but since I am out at CYKF and since they have an acro training box there I figured that probably the best place to get the training if it's available.

I have not had much luck tracking down who this acro instructor is. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
---------- ADS -----------

Edelweiss air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Looking for acrobatic training CYKF (or CYZR,CYKZ)

Post by Edelweiss air »

Lol first of all its AERObatic :mrgreen:. Regarding training there is no training school that teaches aeros at CYKF but there is a group of people who have a share in 2 Pitts Specials. The famous Gerry Younger is part of that group and he used to, or still does I dunno, take people for rides / teach. You might wanna stop by the old National Flyers building, now the Great lakes Heli place sometime when you see them flying aero's and go out and see what's up.
Good luck with the search, I'd like to do some of that flying my self sometime.
Edelweiss.

PunkStarStudios
Rank 3
Rank 3

Edelweiss air wrote:Lol first of all its AERObatic :mrgreen:. Regarding training there is no training school that teaches aeros at CYKF but there is a group of people who have a share in 2 Pitts Specials. The famous Gerry Younger is part of that group and he used to, or still does I dunno, take people for rides / teach. You might wanna stop by the old National Flyers building, now the Great lakes Heli place sometime when you see them flying aero's and go out and see what's up.
Good luck with the search, I'd like to do some of that flying my self sometime.
Edelweiss.
HAHAHA!
I guess I better learn to spell it before I fly it huh?
Thanks for help - I'll check it out.

backfired
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by backfired »

Hey PunkStarStudios,

I have been looking for some information on aerobatics in this region as well. I know FutureAir.ca (Hollands Landing, CLA4) offers basic aerobatics on a 1970 American Champion Citabria 7KCAB and I was also considering learning how to glide and getting an aerobatic rating in a glider to do some glider aerobatics at Rockton (sosaglidingclub.com). I would much prefer powered aerobatics though.

I would really appreciate it if you could pass on some information if you do find out anything at CYKF. Thanks in advance.

PunkStarStudios
Rank 3
Rank 3

Hollands landing actually works better for me... I live a stone's throw south of King City so that's actually more local to me.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

One thing I might point out: Aerobatics, and a commercial flight school with an AOC offering aerobatic training to the unwashed public, are two entirely different things, and can have surprisingly little to do with each other.

For example, in Eastern Ontario, both CYSH and CYND have lots of aerobatic activity, much of it at low altitude. Hardly a single VFR day goes by without an airplane getting upside down at CYSH or CYND, I suspect.

However, AFAIK no one has heroically pushed the mountain of paper required at either airport, to establish an FTU with an OC and an AMO and an MCM and a QAP and a CFI and a PRM etc etc etc that Transport requires, to offer aerobatic training to the public.

The good news in this area is that OAS at CYOW does have an FTU OC, and last I heard, offers aerobatic training to the public.

IIRC Gerry Younger does not have an FTU OC, but does offer type famil/tailwheel training on the Pitts S-2A at Kitchener/Waterloo. I highly recommend you go flying with him - you will learn more about flying in one hour with Gerry, than you will in one hundred hours with most instructors!

Anyone here old enough to remember watching Gerry fly the yellow Extra at Kitchener/Waterloo?

PunkStarStudios
Rank 3
Rank 3

I've heard a lot about Gerry Younger. Can't seem to find any contact information on him (no one by that name in the pages for Kitchener either).

PunkStarStudios
Rank 3
Rank 3

<DELETED>

Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (412.07 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
Last edited by PunkStarStudios on Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Glad you got up with Gerry in the Pitts S-2A :wink:

It's good to see both of them still flying! Quite a few Pitts pilots in Canada got their start with Gerry. I sure hope Transport doesn't take a run at him.

PunkStarStudios
Rank 3
Rank 3

<DELETED>

Last edited by PunkStarStudios on Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

why would TC care
Funny guy. Here's a comment almost as funny as yours, from another Canadian Pitts pilot:

"Every time a Pitts goes flying, four Transport Inspectors rush into a room to have a meeting to decide what they're going to do about it"

Also, Gerry is very vulnerable to a regulatory attack because of his age. Ontario region is notoriously intolerant of older pilots flying aerobatics, regardless of any Charter of Rights violations.

PunkStarStudios
Rank 3
Rank 3

<DELETED>

Last edited by PunkStarStudios on Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

what kind of problem can TC successfully manufacture?
ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee

Gosh, that's funny. Considered doing stand-up comedy part time?

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

backfired wrote:I know FutureAir.ca (Hollands Landing, CLA4) offers basic aerobatics on a 1970 American Champion Citabria 7KCAB
I think you'll find they no longer operate at Holland Landing. The Citabria was sent to Collingwood.

flyinggreasemonkey
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyinggreasemonkey »

I remember a yellow and blue Extra 300 at YKF when I was there doing my PPL with the cadets in '02...is that Gerry's?

Snare_TS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Snare_TS »

Old thread I know, but only one that seems logical to post the question.

I'm looking for aerobatic instruction in the GTA (which is obviously hard to find) and Gerry Younger's name seems to be the one that consistently comes up, though ways to contact him are much harder to find. Is he still active and if so, can someone PM contact info.

Otherwise, I am open to suggestions as how to get aerobatic experience without having to go down to the States or Manitoba!

Thanks!

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Someone is still doing instruction for futureair out of Collingwood, I think.

http://FutureAir.ca/flighttraining/aerobatics.php

Snare_TS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Snare_TS »

I thought they had either retired their Citabria or its being overhauled. I'll make sure to give them a call.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

There aren't many FTU's offering aerobatic training in Canada, period.

Closest to you:

CYOW: Ottawa Aviation Services has a Grob
CYRO: Rockcliffe Flying Club has a Super-D
CYHU: Air Richelieu has a Super-D

Next closest in Canada is probably Harv's Air in Manitoba, just south
of the 'Peg, with their two Citabria and Pitts S-2B with 203cm MT 3-blade.

Years ago, Brent Rogers tried to make a go of it with his Zlin
in Toronto, but that didn't work out. Long before that were
the two Extra 300's in St Catherines (Fighter Canada?) but they
got chased out by lawsuits from angry neighbours complaining
about the noise, etc and some fragments of their operation
ended up in Phoenix, Az where they offer very high-dollar training.

If California isn't too far for you, I might personally recommend
Attitude Aviation in Livermore, CA (just outside San Fran), and
Sean Tucker's School (Tutima?!) just south of San Fran. Also
there is a good school in LA - I think the instructor's name is
Michael Church, IIRC.

On the east coast, I would fly with Bill Finagin in Maryland.

Rhys Perraton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rhys Perraton »

"IIRC Gerry Younger does not have an FTU OC, but does offer type famil/tailwheel training on the Pitts S-2A at Kitchener/Waterloo."

OK, neither of those activities are for a licence or rating but if he is charging people for the flights wouldn't he need an OC of some sort, 406 or 703, or be operating on someone elses ?

Return to “Flight Training”