Interesting diversion for Porter last night
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
-
tedcuthbert
- Rank 2

- Posts: 63
- Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:37 am
Interesting diversion for Porter last night
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/POE1 ... /KEWR/CYOW
Should have diverted to YYZ (poor viz, low ceilings at YTZ). Toronto star said YYZ was unable to take them due to G20 traffic, so they went to Ottawa?? (I'm sure the passengers were not pleased) Must have been getting short of fuel at the end? Would they plan fuel for a diversion that far away?
Should have diverted to YYZ (poor viz, low ceilings at YTZ). Toronto star said YYZ was unable to take them due to G20 traffic, so they went to Ottawa?? (I'm sure the passengers were not pleased) Must have been getting short of fuel at the end? Would they plan fuel for a diversion that far away?
Re: Interesting diversion for Porter last night
Yes, If a diversion looked possible, SOCC would look at all the suitable diversion airports. They would know that YYZ was going to have the G 20, and YHM was likely below Alternate minimums, so they would send them to YOW. The flight was likely weight restricted for the extra fuel, and in all likelihood the passengers would have been advised before they boarded that the flight might have to divert to YOW.
That's how I think it went down.
That's how I think it went down.
-
midwingcrisis
- Rank 5

- Posts: 371
- Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:54 pm
Re: Interesting diversion for Porter last night
Appears they may have been in the vicinity of CYTZ attempting approach(s) even after "official" closing time. The Com Air gang would have been all over this one.
How do you go 205 kts TAS on 32 gal/hr without turbos!
-
CanterburyTail
- Rank 2

- Posts: 54
- Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:34 pm
- Location: CYTZ
Re: Interesting diversion for Porter last night
YTZ closes at 11 at night. They were down in Ottawa before 12 so wouldn't have arrived after closing time.midwingcrisis wrote:Appears they may have been in the vicinity of CYTZ attempting approach(s) even after "official" closing time. The Com Air gang would have been all over this one.
Re: Interesting diversion for Porter last night
According to the FlightAware Log, they overshot for the last time from YTZ @ 1057PM. Maybe you should research before you post...midwingcrisis wrote:Appears they may have been in the vicinity of CYTZ attempting approach(s) even after "official" closing time. The Com Air gang would have been all over this one.
Going for the deck at corner
-
niss
- Top Poster

- Posts: 6745
- Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:54 pm
- Location: I'm a CPL trapped in a PPL's Body.
- Contact:
Re: Interesting diversion for Porter last night
Meeeeeooowwwww......AuxBatOn wrote:midwingcrisis wrote: Maybe you should research before you post...

You've been kind of irritable lately.
She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.
Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
- invertedattitude
- Rank 10

- Posts: 2353
- Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:12 pm
Re: Interesting diversion for Porter last night
Porter also had a diversion from YHZ as well due to weather...
-
EastCoaster
- Rank 2

- Posts: 72
- Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:39 am
Re: Interesting diversion for Porter last night
So what's your issue then??? Last overshoot at 2257, airport closes at 2300. Am I missing something here or is this just another mud slinging crap post. Other airlines routinely land right at the time of closing at many airports across this country and others..... Of course they had fuel on board for their alternate in YOW. They may not be your favourite airline, but they do encompass a group of seasoned airline folks. Their alternate requirements would be the same as those of AC, WS, and the rest of the gang. I don't even work within 2000 miles of Porter or Toronto, but I'm just tired of this armchair quarterback bullsh!t crap. They aren't going to endanger the lives of a load of passengers by not carrying more than enough fuel.
-
midwingcrisis
- Rank 5

- Posts: 371
- Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:54 pm
Re: Interesting diversion for Porter last night
....yes according to "Flightaware post log info", you are correct. My general point was that the folks over at CA have many "algorithms" for curfew violations. Remember, they do not want the airport..period. Looks like the weather was crazy there last night. I think the passengers would understand.
How do you go 205 kts TAS on 32 gal/hr without turbos!
- Hawkerflyer
- Rank 5

- Posts: 373
- Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:50 pm
- Location: Here today, gone tomorrow
Re: Interesting diversion for Porter last night
Slow day in aviation fellas? Who cares.
"Six of us broke formation, five Jerries and I". - George "Buzz" Beurling
-
CanterburyTail
- Rank 2

- Posts: 54
- Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:34 pm
- Location: CYTZ
Re: Interesting diversion for Porter last night
Yeah well the Community Air folks are losing a lot of support. With the addition of all those shiny new condos, most people now want the airport.midwingcrisis wrote:....yes according to "Flightaware post log info", you are correct. My general point was that the folks over at CA have many "algorithms" for curfew violations. Remember, they do not want the airport..period. Looks like the weather was crazy there last night. I think the passengers would understand.
-
OceansEdge
- Rank 4

- Posts: 288
- Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:17 pm
Re: Interesting diversion for Porter last night
So use the weather as an 'excuse' to miss and not land to appease a community group that doesn't want them.... that's a truly sound business modelmidwingcrisis wrote:....yes according to "Flightaware post log info", you are correct. My general point was that the folks over at CA have many "algorithms" for curfew violations. Remember, they do not want the airport..period. Looks like the weather was crazy there last night. I think the passengers would understand.
-
EastCoaster
- Rank 2

- Posts: 72
- Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:39 am
Re: Interesting diversion for Porter last night
No,
That's not the business model or the case. They tried the approach, would have landed prior to curfew or within the grace period, and missed the approach so then, much like airplanes trying to get into any other airport with crap wxx, they diverted to a suitable alternate.
That's not the business model or the case. They tried the approach, would have landed prior to curfew or within the grace period, and missed the approach so then, much like airplanes trying to get into any other airport with crap wxx, they diverted to a suitable alternate.
Re: Interesting diversion for Porter last night
This has to be one of the stupidest treads of the year...my vote. Am I missing something? Isn't this just a normal part of operating an airline? Sounds like just another day at the office.
Never point your aircraft to some place your brain hasn't already been 5 minutes earlier.
Re: Interesting diversion for Porter last night
Oh no! Porter diverted to their legal alternate due to weather, for which they were carrying enough fuel? Oh dear!
C'mon, this is an aviation forum, I expect better than this.
C'mon, this is an aviation forum, I expect better than this.
-
tedcuthbert
- Rank 2

- Posts: 63
- Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:37 am
Re: Interesting diversion for Porter last night
YYZatcboy, thanks for the response, that makes sense. Sorry, I didn't mean to stir the pot. I fly privately & VFR only, so am a bit behind the curve on airline opp's so I thought it an odd diversion (particularly since it was mentioned in the media) and their normal alternates have been YYZ and YHM. But now that I think of it, Ottawa would be the best "second alternate" as they have customs, and is a regular Porter destination. Also, I forgot to mention an "Air Bravo" flight from Muskoka diverted from YTZ to YYZ at about the same time and they were able to land, so didn't see why Porter could'nt, though I now understand that was because they were likely a medivac flight.
-
OceansEdge
- Rank 4

- Posts: 288
- Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:17 pm
Re: Interesting diversion for Porter last night
EastCoaster wrote:No,
That's not the business model or the case. They tried the approach, would have landed prior to curfew or within the grace period, and missed the approach so then, much like airplanes trying to get into any other airport with crap wxx, they diverted to a suitable alternate.
Sorry - yes, I was being facetiousMain Gear wrote:This has to be one of the stupidest treads of the year...my vote. Am I missing something? Isn't this just a normal part of operating an airline? Sounds like just another day at the office.
I had just finished explaining all this to a friend who's flight was diverted back to Pittsburg...
