April 2005 flight test guide

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

testpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

April 2005 flight test guide

Post by testpilot »

any comments on the new guides.
the engine fail. in the circuit, makes you think about whether a c-150 will make it bak to the rwy.
commercial candidates are supposed to prepare the X-country planning in 45 minutes or less.
forced is broken down into 2 exercises.
you can fail if your not looking out properly.
will the changes enhance safety?
---------- ADS -----------

Snagmaster E
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Snagmaster E »

Not looking out was always a fail.
If you can't make it back to the runway in a 150, then you're too far away.
Forced has the highest failure rate, and a commercial student should be able to do a full forced, not just make the field.

Look at the notes at the bottom. Before, if you did note #2, an examiner might fail you for choosing a bad field. Now you can still pass.

Remember: This is for commercial students. Professionals should be able to do these things.

Just my opinion...

Money, wish I had it...
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Snagmaster E,

What do you mean by "full forced"? Just wondering. I'm assuming you mean all of the proper briefing, checks, radio calls, etc..

-istp

Snagmaster E
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Snagmaster E »

Yeah that's exactly what I mean istp.

I figure a private student should just have to make the field. If he/she can do all of the other items then good.

A commercial student should be able to do all of the items. I feel that if they're getting paid by pax to fly, it's their responsibility to make sure they're safe (I know a private pilot should as well, but you know what I mean).

P.S. Just in case somebody hasn't heard, the Pope has died. Poor guy has been going through a lot lately.

Money, wish I had it...
Miss Mae
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Miss Mae »

The new standards are really putting a focus on situational awareness and PDM, that's why the 2 part marking scale came about on the forced. I think that for the most part the new standards are going in the right direction....anything that puts emphasis on pilots thinking through a problem is a good thing.

peeelot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by peeelot »

I am just glad I only have to teach it not go through it

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

I agree on the most part with the new standards. However the new marking scheme is something else.

It requires a very close read. Read the page indicating what the 1, 2, 3, and 4 mean, and the little line on the top of table. The score is based on the lowest standard. Now I think this is good in principle, but in practice, this may be a mess. A single small thing missed could end your flight test very quickly, especially in the hands of certain examiners.

I was hoping the new marking scheme would move towards eliminating the major differences between PE (Pilot Examiners, previously DFTEs). But now I only think it will increase it. I will be looking more into these new standards and marking scheme with some TC personnel, I'll keep you folks posted of what I learn from them.

testpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by testpilot »

in the old guide if you had a 1 you still passed that ex. now a 1 means fail. they've eliminated the 0 and the 5 in the marking scale. that leaves you with above average, average , below average and fail. i think it is easier to mark.

duplicate2
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by duplicate2 »

The 2 part breakdown in the forced approach is also in the new standards for PPL.

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

testpilot wrote:in the old guide if you had a 1 you still passed that ex. now a 1 means fail. they've eliminated the 0 and the 5 in the marking scale. that leaves you with above average, average , below average and fail. i think it is easier to mark.
But his time its not just about the mark. Thats why you have to read the marking scale closely. here's a link:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/gener ... /scale.htm

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

I just did my MIFR on the new standards a couple of days ago. There isn't any differences with that aside from the marking scheme.

However since the 0 and 5 are gone. It makes it easier to get the overall minimum mark since you're still getting marks when you fail. But harder at the top end. If you do something just slightly wrong instead of getting a 4(80%) now you get a 3(75%). I think its going to help the guys who don't usually do a good job. But hurt the marks of the people who do.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

The only thing that gets me on the nw standards is the 45 min time limit to do the preflight planning in. First of all not a single one of the DFTEs I've talked to are going to sit around and watch a candidate flight plan for 45 min. Secondly what private pilot doesn't know where he's going the next day? That's commercial stuff.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
just another pilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by just another pilot »

I see that Transport has been busy. Curious, how much for a flight test now?

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Shiny Side Up wrote:The only thing that gets me on the nw standards is the 45 min time limit to do the preflight planning in. First of all not a single one of the DFTEs I've talked to are going to sit around and watch a candidate flight plan for 45 min. Secondly what private pilot doesn't know where he's going the next day? That's commercial stuff.
My understanding is that examiners have been advised that they need not make a private candidate plan the X-country in 45 minutes, they can give it to them say, the night before. HOWEVER, where they used to have the same latitude for the Commercial in the past, they now have to make the candidate plan in the 45 minutes aloted.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

just another pilot wrote:I see that Transport has been busy. Curious, how much for a flight test now?
$200, but they're nice and don't charge you the GST. ;)

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
Ralliart
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Ralliart »

I believe most of the Pilot Examiners around Vancouver area, Boundary Bay, charge $250 for the test and a little extra if they have to travel to another location............TC still does $200.

ready2move
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ready2move »

The Private Forced is pretty harsh, if you shit the bed thats 2 failed ex. not just one like in the past.

No longer ready2move, doin just fine right here.
Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

ready2move wrote:The Private Forced is pretty harsh, if you shit the bed thats 2 failed ex. not just one like in the past.
True. However if you miss the field, and still get the procedures in, you still only fail one item. Likewise if you make the field, but do nothing else, you fail an item.

The thing that really irks me about the whole forced thing is that you can no longer change fields if you cannot make the original chosen field. I do see where they are coming from, in that you should have the skill to make the field you chose in the first place. But in practice, this is just asking for trouble. Just the other day I heard of a student doing a flight test, who made a dangerously steep turn very close to the ground to ensure they could get into the original field they chose, rather than just switching fields because he had a perfectly good field he could have made safely without the steep turn.

Needless he still failed due to an unsafe maneuvre.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

" Just the other day I heard of a student doing a flight test, who made a dangerously steep turn very close to the ground to ensure they could get into the original field they chose, rather than just switching fields because he had a perfectly good field he could have made safely without the steep turn. "

This is nothing short of criminally stupid, where do you guys get these morons who make such idiotic policies for flight tests?

Or are you just joking about this?

If something like that happened to a son of mine on a flight test I would sue the c.c.s.cker for endangering his life for making him do such a life threatening manouver when there was a safe place to go. I just can't believe there can be such abysmally stupid people doing flight tests....f.ckin incredible.

Cat

Last edited by Cat Driver on Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

I really wish I was joking. Before April 1st, one could switch fields, but now they are restricted by the following line in the Flight Test Standards:

Note 2: A change of field is acceptable from an altitude or point in the approach where a landing could still have been made on the original landing site.

Return to “Flight Training”