Navcanada and age discrimination

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

samuelsow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Navcanada and age discrimination

Post by samuelsow »

i went through Navcanada recruitment process to the in-person interview before being told that my profile was not suitable for an atc training.
FYI I've been an ATC for 12+ years in another country.

I was OK with their decision until recently i had the opportunity to discuss with a former NAVCANADA official who told me that, actually their "policy" is NOT to hire 30+ years old candidates off the street furthermore having been an ATC was not an asset because they preferred hiring 20-25 years old candidates with few or no aviation background in order to format them their own way.

Did any of you guys ever experienced something like that ?
---------- ADS -----------

mountainman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Navcanada and age discrimination

Post by mountainman »

Im 28, just did my 2nd interview, and was told that it is advantageous for me to have a flying background...but we'll see if i get an offer...

samuelsow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by samuelsow »

i wish you all the best

W0XOF
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by W0XOF »

If it's a policy, it's an unwritten one (unlike the written one for the FAA http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/hea ... s/emp_120/ ).

Read you 2 by 2. Too loud and too often!
avfun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by avfun »

I heard this rumour as well when I went through NCTI, but I never saw any evidence of it. There were several people on my course significantly older than 30 who were successful.

Jonathan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Jonathan »

avfun wrote:There were several people on my course significantly older than 30 who were successful.
Same for me. But most of the students in my course were younger than 30 though. All I can say is I did not feel any discrimination during the course itself.

NJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NJ »

Sorry, this doesn't fly. I've seen folks of all ages and aviation backgrounds enter ATC training in my time. From what I've seen as well, previous ATC experience isn't an asset unless,of course, you're hired as an overseas controller. Your former NAVCANADA official may have indicated his ideal candidate. I'd go for something different, but everyone has their preference.

YYZJuice
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YYZJuice »

I checked out in November '09 at the age of 37 Ab Initio.

Last edited by YYZJuice on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skydekker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skydekker »

Doesn't make any sense to have you in for a second interview if you don't fit the profile and you stand no chance to be selected. I doubt they would waste their time on it.

I guess we'll see. I have my second interview on Monday. I am 37 and have no aviation background.

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by invertedattitude »

Statistics prove people over 35 have a drastically lower chance of success than those younger

skydekker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skydekker »

invertedattitude wrote:Statistics prove people over 35 have a drastically lower chance of success than those younger
Perfect, that makes my drive to succeed even greater.

Just so I can understand the statistics, can you provide a link to the report? I always like to read study methodology, test group selection, statistical analysis used etc.

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by The Old Fogducker »

Navcanada OJT instructors have probably found that the older guys don't pay as much in overtime to train, therefore they recommend termination so they can bring in fresh meat to enable a larger cabin cruiser to be bought.

atcfusion
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by atcfusion »

invertedattitude wrote:Statistics prove people over 35 have a drastically lower chance of success than those younger
Thankfully I never listen to statistics. As someone who took statistic classes in university, I know the data can be manipulated to say whatever the manipulator wants.

I have not started the training, so I can't state whether this statistic is wrong. I will say that I am strongly against something like a statistic telling me I might not succeed.

If I listened to statistics then:
I wouldn't have completed a university degree at 36 - statistics do say I had a low chance of success going back to school and succeeding at this;
and I wouldn't have gotten a stand-by offer with Nav Canada at 38 - statistics probably stated I wouldn't get this far either (although I admit it isn't as good as an actual offer, but still, I've gotten farther than a lot of people younger than me);
I was well aware that I was past the 'prime age' that Nav Canada prefers when I applied (which is 25), but I took a chance and so far it's paid off.

But:
The results could be skewed because of the high CT rate in IFR, but that is just a guess without looking at the data.
And, on the other hand, I have noticed that the older you get the more 'set in your ways' you can become. This could prevent some over 35 trainees from accepting the operational method of Nav Canada, don't like being humbled by the training, or are not flexible to the dynamic environment. There is also a higher chance of outside forces affecting these people, such as family, financing, etc. Again, it's hard to say why without seeing the data.

In the end, all this says is that I have a lower chance of passing the training. While I do agree that I could have a lower chance of success, there is still a chance of success.
No matter what I will do my best and hopefully that means being successful at passing the training (provided I'm offered a full seat).

Sorry for ranting,
atcfusion

Last edited by atcfusion on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Indanao »

Hello. I wonder if it is the same at this outfit:

http://www.atsservices.ca/

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by The Old Fogducker »

atcfusion:

Just make it clear you'll split any O/T 50:50 with your instructor for the first 5 years of your career and you'll do OK.

OFD

ff09727
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ff09727 »

Interesting,
Won't repeat the words of atcfusion, but I have just been green lighted after a 2nd interview at 37...maybe it was my extremely youthful looks. I find it hard to believe that there are so few younger and smarter people awaiting 2nd interviews that Nav Canada gave me a mercy pass only to know in the back of thier minds that I am statistically prone to failure. Between my age, no aviation experience, memory loss, frequent bowel movements and constant wondering what is wrong with the youth of today, I wonder how I ever made it past the online test.

CofG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CofG »

ff09727 wrote:Interesting,
Between my age, no aviation experience, memory loss, frequent bowel movements and constant wondering what is wrong with the youth of today, I wonder how I ever made it past the online test.
Well thanks for the warning... If I end up on course with you, I'll be sure to get a seat on the otherside of the room! :lol:

Cheers!

Duckman54
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Duckman54 »

I, too, just had 2nd-round interview. I'm 36, and Comm/Multi-IFR experience. Waiting for the green light! I agree with previous posts in that if they had no intention of training, they've had ample opportunity to chop already, without need to cite age. Coulda just said lotsa competition. So I think that bodes well for us old-timers!

'Greg.

SkyWolfe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SkyWolfe »

My class was last october. I was the youngest from anyone else by 10 years. I am 25.

cyeg66
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cyeg66 »

^ So let's just say that negates any comments made here by OFD and call it a day. Everyone, back to work....

Turn right/left heading XXX, vectors for the hell of it.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”