FLIGHT DISPATCHER TRAINING...???

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Canrotor
Rank 1
Rank 1

FLIGHT DISPATCHER TRAINING...???

Post by Canrotor »

Can anyone give any info about Canadian training for a position as a Flight dispatcher...???

I see Jazz is looking for a flight dispatcher for its' head office in Halifax but doesn't provide much info on qualifications other than a referral to CARS 705.

THANKS in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

THANKS,
CANROTOR
canuckjetsetter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: FLIGHT DISPATCHER TRAINING...???

Post by canuckjetsetter »

It is a requirement in Canada that all Type-705 carrier dispatchers have acquired their Flight Dispatch license. In order to obtain this, you must right 2 exams: 1 focusing on Meteorology, the other on Flight Operations. These exams can be written at various TC offices across Canada.

The only actual course I know of that provides SPECIFIC dispatch training in Canada is York University (YYZ) . It's a 2-week high intensity program ( I would highly recommend you do some pre-studying - basically read and know the Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) and "From the Ground Up". More info on the course is here http://dce.yorku.ca/SubCgyDetails.aspx? ... ubCgyID=14
Again - high intensity course that expects you to know the basics of flight and flying in Canada prior to you taking the course.

I wrote my exams based on the experience I gained getting my PPL and essentially knowing the AIM front to back. You can download a copy of the AIM here: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/p ... u-3092.htm or purchase it from TC for about $35. Not too sure how much "From the Ground Up" is these days but you can usually purchase it from any flight school.

Another option (and much pricier) is to go down to FLL where a friend of mine went - it's called Sheffield http://www.sheffield.com/ and is located in FLL. It is a much more in-depth than York U and provides you with an FAA dispatch license upon completion - NOT a Canadian license although it essentially provides you with the majority of info required to come back to Canada and write your TC exams. I believe when my friend went it was about 6-weeks or so and he went on to dispatch in Canada and is now at Virgin in Brisbane.

Hope this helps! PM me if you have any other questions and good luck!

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

The two exams are generic in nature and it is possible to pass these tests without investing any money on preparatory courses if you already have a background in aviation. The study guide is available at the following link:

TP 12513 - Study and Reference Guide - Flight Dispatchers

For some more general information, check these links:

AvCanada - canadian dispatch
Canadian Dispatchers Organization

OceansEdge
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by OceansEdge »

All I'll add is that there is a second course at SAIT Polytechnic in Calgary.... its relatively new and I don't know a lot about their programme ... I've heard good and not so good about it.

Sheffield is a good course, but you do need to be aware that while it will give you a good background, and your FAA ticket, the Canadian exams do have some significant differences and you will want to be very well versed on the Canadian AIM and CARs even after taking the course before you write the Transport Canada exams.

Good luck!

vlad621
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vlad621 »

What is on the OPs exam? The study guide is pretty vague.

Is it like the written tests for a pilots license? Stuff like navigation, theory of flight, human factors, etc. or is it more about the rules of operating a commercial service?

OceansEdge
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by OceansEdge »

vlad621 wrote:What is on the OPs exam? The study guide is pretty vague.

Is it like the written tests for a pilots license? Stuff like navigation, theory of flight, human factors, etc. or is it more about the rules of operating a commercial service?
All of the above.

Navigation, human factors, aircraft performance, air law, CARs, AIMs, principles of flight, aircraft systems, weight and balance, CAPs, Operational control systems ....

Avia3001
Rank 0
Rank 0

Question Regards to TC Flight Dispatch exam books

Post by Avia3001 »

Hello, the information you had posted was very helpful to me. thank you for that. I am preparing for the TC flight Dispatch exam.

I wanted to know if an old edition is valid for me to study from:

I have the AIM dated as April 13th, 2006. is this ok for me to study off or I should get a newer edition.

also i have "from the ground up" millennium edition"

and last question I'm sure there are more books I should have; to study for the TC flight Dispatcher Exam.

could you please name them for me or email me at avia3001@gmail.com with the list of names.

Thank you for your help in advance.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/publi ... 3/menu.htm
If the link doesn't work, go to www.tc.gc.ca and search for the study guide. the guide number is tp12513.
All the information is available on TC's website including the latest AIM.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Avia3001
Rank 0
Rank 0

STUDY AND REFERENCE GUIDE HELP??? FOR FLIGHT DISPATCH EXAM "

Post by Avia3001 »

I visit the TC website and go to "study and reference guide" for flight dispatching exam and it shows a lot of headings and sections when i click on one topic it gives me nothing but headings like; for example:

THE EARTH'S ATMOSPHERE

1 Properties
2 Vertical Structure
3 ICAO Standard Atmosphere

I want to know how to study for this?? do i specifically look up what is "properties" in earth's atmosphere through the text book? please help me?? i dont understand how i should start to study for this???

do i have to find information on each topic and understand it or i just need to know what comes with the "earth's atmosphere"

its a dumb question but the website is very detailedddd! confused :S

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

As I understand it, those are all the topics that could be/will be covered on the exam. So you'll probably want to look up each item for study. The study guides used to referrence where you might find the information, I didn't look to see if it still did. Of course this was pilot study guides.
Can I ask you, are you trying to obtain the dispatcher licence ahead of time or already have the job?
Myself, I would call TC at one of their toll free lines and ask what material or books a person needs to study. They can be helpful at times...

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Canrotor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Canrotor »

Hi All,

Anyone have any info on the pay for dispatchers at Jazz...? Salaried or hourly,work hours,shift premiums...?

I assume dispatch is a 24/7 operation...?

THANKS.

THANKS,
CANROTOR
Aviaspotters
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aviaspotters »

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me what the TC Flight Dispatch generic exams look like? Are the questions multiple choice? And is it allowed to have any books with you during the exam, like the AIM? Or do you have to know the complete AIM by heart?
I have the Flight Dispatcher Written Test Guide (FD-Ops exams) by Auslander Publishing. Are those exams the same as the real Transport exams?
Thanks in advance for the answers.

Kind regards,

Joost de Wit

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: STUDY AND REFERENCE GUIDE HELP??? FOR FLIGHT DISPATCH EX

Post by all_ramped_up »

Avia3001 wrote:I visit the TC website and go to "study and reference guide" for flight dispatching exam and it shows a lot of headings and sections when i click on one topic it gives me nothing but headings like; for example:

THE EARTH'S ATMOSPHERE

1 Properties
2 Vertical Structure
3 ICAO Standard Atmosphere

I want to know how to study for this?? do i specifically look up what is "properties" in earth's atmosphere through the text book? please help me?? i dont understand how i should start to study for this???

do i have to find information on each topic and understand it or i just need to know what comes with the "earth's atmosphere"

its a dumb question but the website is very detailedddd! confused :S
Those are three very basic things covered in Meteorology. If you have a copy of "From the Ground Up" all of the answers are there. Keep it simple! It will be less confusing that way.

Canrotor: Yes, Dispatch is a 24/7 Operation especially at larger Companies like Jazz. While I can't comment on the hours at Jazz, my Company is 12hr shifts from 0700 - 1900 and 1900 - 0700. The Dispatch Salary is posted on their job ads.

OceansEdge
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by OceansEdge »

Aviaspotters wrote:Hi all,

Can anybody tell me what the TC Flight Dispatch generic exams look like? Are the questions multiple choice? And is it allowed to have any books with you during the exam, like the AIM? Or do you have to know the complete AIM by heart?
I have the Flight Dispatcher Written Test Guide (FD-Ops exams) by Auslander Publishing. Are those exams the same as the real Transport exams?
Thanks in advance for the answers.

Kind regards,

Joost de Wit
The exams are multiple choice, you may not bring any books in with you. You should know the AIM very very well ... although the general tone of the questions is less specific knowledge and more general in nature. (the US exam for instance is very specific) Still you need to know the AIM very well

As for the Auslander book, I've never seen it so I can't really comment, but apparently CFIT didn't like it very much
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28732&start=0

Aviaspotters
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aviaspotters »

Okay, thank you very much for that.
Are there any other books/study material you can recommend besides the AIM and From The Ground Up?

Regards,

Joost

OceansEdge
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by OceansEdge »

Aviaspotters wrote:Okay, thank you very much for that.
Are there any other books/study material you can recommend besides the AIM and From The Ground Up?

Regards,

Joost
You should refer to The Transport Canada Study Guide
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/p ... u-1320.htm

But you'll want a copy of the Air Command Weather Manual, a CAP GEN, and a CAP for study and reference, and you'll want to have the CARs bookmarked as well. But definitely if you're doing the exams on your own, start with the Study Guide, read it cover to cover, and go from there - it goes through point by point each topic you'll need to know and how well you need to know it. (proficiency levels).

jp7500
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jp7500 »

Wrote the Operations exam a couple days ago and went home and put pen to paper of all questions i could remember. If you want to know what's on the exam i wrote or want them posted please let me know.

Aviaspotters
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aviaspotters »

Thanks for your reply Vicky, but the TC Study Guide only lists what you need to know and not the theory itself. And that's what I was looking for.
Thanks again all.

Regards,

Joost

Plane_sight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Plane_sight »

I'm going to write the dispatch exams this upcoming week and was wondering if anyone who has written them can give me any useful information. Anything surprising, particularly challenging?

Thanks

yyzdood
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yyzdood »

I wrote the exams a little while ago. The exams are said to be some of the toughest TC has to offer, but having not seen any others myself, I can't say either way. As for studying, your best bet is as everybody says, know the AIM VERY well. Some of the questions are pretty vague, and then some are very specific. From the Ground Up, the Air Command Weather manual, and the Aerocourse ATPL workbook should do you. I recommend the ATPL book because the exam itself is basically an ATPL exam. The questions from that book are very similar to what you'll see in the exam. If you can get through the book without any issues, you'll do fine in the exam. Just make you sure you READ THE QUESTION FIRST! As for training courses, Air Georgian offers a compressed two week course. I'm not sure of the dates, but you can check their website. Hope this helps, I know there's not a whole lot of material on the matter out there.

Return to “Employment Forum”