Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator
Posts: 4592
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Vancouver Island

Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by Widow »

I realized I had made myself something of a public figure, but it never occurred to me that anyone would start to idolize me.

Shortly after the Fifth Estate's "Riding on Risk" episode aired in the fall of 2009, I received many letters, emails and telephone calls from viewers who wanted to thank or praise me for saying what I'd said, to encourage me to "keep up the fight". But there was one person who stood out.

There was just something about the tone of his early letters that seemed a little more, how shall I put it, "adoring" (?) than I felt comfortable with. Not that I am particularly comfortable with any of the admiration I've received, but his communications did not stop with one or two. He'd had his own "issue" with feeling poorly served by government, had fought his own quiet "battle", and seemed to see me as a heroine, sent to save Canadians from a lack of accountability.

I tried to be cordial, then I was cold. But the frequency of his messages and calls did not slow down. Communication was not made easier by his thick Chinese accent, which served only to make him seem stranger. He said things like "in my imagination, your gracious character is like a queen". He seemed to like me a little bit too much. But, he lived in Alberta. There was nothing to worry about.

I did feel uneasy when he sent a dozen long-stemmed roses at Valentine's. But when he sent more roses on Mother's Day I was downright creeped out. I stopped answering any of his messages. I ignored him.

Then he caught me off guard, and about a month ago, I answered the phone. I told him I was taking a break for my health and family. I told him he had to leave me alone. I told him I could not help him. I guess he did not understand.

About a week later I got an email saying he was coming to BC. I ignored it.

Then, two days ago, the phone rang at 7am. Without my glasses on, I can't see the call display, I was half asleep. Who would call me so early? It had to be important. I picked up.

He was on his way to the airport, flying into Victoria and renting a car. He would be here, in Campbell River, by late afternoon. He wanted to go for dinner, to see the memorial on Quadra, to finally meet me, whom he "had longed to meet".

Yeah. So I told him it was early for me, that he had woken me. I embellished some half-truths and said I wasn't available, that I might be out of town overnight. I told him he had made me very uncomfortable. I hung up.

He called again a few hours later. I didn't answer. He left a message saying I should not feel uncomfortable. He was at the airport, on his way, he hoped to see me that evening.

We began to only answer calls from "friendlies", known numbers on the call display. We went to a movie, the early show, and came home to more messages. Now he was here, at a motel, in Campbell River. I did not return his calls.

Yesterday morning, he called from the motel at 8.30am. I didn't answer, but did immediately run outside and move my car so it looked like there was no one home. We went to the lake for the day. I ignored calls to my cell. When we got home, there were no messages although I could see he had called. Last night, the phone was quiet.

I thought I'd gotten lucky. I thought he'd left.

When I woke up this morning, I washed my face, threw on a sundress and stumbled down the stairs to let Polka Dot out for her peepeepoopoos. I went to go make coffee but had to turn back right away because P-Dot was going nuts, barking like crazy and clearly livid.

I poked my head out the door and saw a little old Chinese guy at the bottom of the steps to my porch. P-Dot was in attack mode.

Turned out he was now on his way to Vancouver, so I got off easy, I think, with a handshake, a photograph, and only a few minutes of adoring looks, and barely understandable one-sided conversation.

It was not until he left and I headed back into the house that I noticed the flowers, gift (large box of Royal Ginseng Jelly!) and of course, note:

"My Dear Lady Kirsten:

I missed you so much since I got here yesterday. I have not been able to reach you by phone. I have to leave tomorrow morning for Vancouver. I say again. You should not worry. The whole world won't hurt you. Your heart and your soul have won the respect of Canadians for your commitment to public good. Continue your good work and God's blessings always with you.

I missed you so much my dear heroine."

So what think you, my dear AvCanadians? Stalker, or just a creepy old guy?
Drawing done by my teenage son's girlfriend, and inspired by my &quot;admirer's&quot; words. <br /> Meet Kirsten Aerowitch and her trusty sidekick P-Dot the rescue dog.
Drawing done by my teenage son's girlfriend, and inspired by my "admirer's" words.
Meet Kirsten Aerowitch and her trusty sidekick P-Dot the rescue dog.
Superheroine 2.jpg (76.13 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
---------- ADS -----------
 
Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
User avatar
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2967
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:59 pm
Location: LA

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by Nark »

stalker.

Just call if you want to learn how to blood choke a fellow...

Cat's not a bad shot, he could teach you how to aim for center mass...



On a serious note, the RCMP are there for a reason.
Best of luck.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5655
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: "The Coast"

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by xsbank »

Stalker? You're giving us creepy old guys a bad name!

Seems annoying but harmless. Like yours truly.

Go to the Quinny for a bracer.
---------- ADS -----------
 
"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
crazy_aviator
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 917
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:13 am

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by crazy_aviator »

If it wasnt for the fact that i got meself married in feb in the Philippines to a young lass who is oblivious about aviations secrets ,,,,,, I would be on Kirstens doorstep too :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
 
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5655
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: "The Coast"

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by xsbank »

Yeah, I didn't want to mention that...
---------- ADS -----------
 
"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
toelessjoe
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by toelessjoe »

Doc says he's sorry for the confusion and he's heading back to Kenora hat in hand.

Don't sweat it Kirsten, from what I could see from peeking through your hedges he seemed harmless enough. And don't worry, I'll be sitting here for awhile, making sure he doesn't return. And if I do see him again I'll immediately put on a pair of pants and come running to your rescue :lol: .

Seriously, if he comes back tell him to politely yet firmly leave. Or punch him in the nads, that usually works. Even us thick skulled fellas usually catch on when we're bent over trying push the old baby makers back down out of our stomach.

Toeless.
---------- ADS -----------
 
crazy_aviator
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 917
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:13 am

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by crazy_aviator »

OKAY, 3 rules to know 1) dont tell your wife/ girlfriend etc that she is fat and ugly and 2) dont kick a stranger, boyfriend/husband in the gonads UNLESS your life IS threatened! and 3) IF you forget rule 1 and get your gonads kicked due to a failure of the wife/girlfriend/whatever to remember rule #2,,,,then both actions cancell out and just call it even ! :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 970
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:33 pm
Location: Ontario

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by Blakey »

Kirsten,

Listen to your little voice!

If this is an end to it, then he was just a lonely gentleman who thought he had found a kindred soul. If he persists, consult the authorities.

Blakey
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by Blakey on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7374
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:50 pm
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.
Contact:

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by . ._ »

I thought you alway got along with Cat Driver. :P

But seriously, I'd say something to the cops- if anything, just for their statistics. That's why I called the cops when someone stole my Backstreet Boys and Soundtrack From Stuart Little II CDs.

-istp
---------- ADS -----------
 
bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4014
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:06 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by bmc »

I did a Google search on stalking and every site suggests calling the police. Aside from their role of senselessly beating allegedly innocent protestors at G20 Summits, they are there to protect you.

The fact that he lives far away is no reason to not categorize him as a stalker. He travelled a great distance to be near you and he may do it again. It is far too frigthening for you to carry this on your own.

This guy may have a record for doing this type of crap...you never know.

Keep us posted.
---------- ADS -----------
 
bmc
niss
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 6745
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:54 pm
Location: I'm a CPL trapped in a PPL's Body.
Contact:

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by niss »

Where did my post go?
---------- ADS -----------
 
She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2396
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:47 am
Location: The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful.

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

niss wrote:Where did my post go?
The dog ate it.
---------- ADS -----------
 
bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4014
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:06 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by bmc »

niss wrote:Where did my post go?
Mossad.
---------- ADS -----------
 
bmc
GoinNowhereFast
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:35 pm

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by GoinNowhereFast »

Refer to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=66892


...if you lived in Texas
---------- ADS -----------
 
Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator
Posts: 5627
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Straight outta Dundarave...

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by North Shore »

My vote is for 'creepy old guy' who thought he'd found a kindred soul.

If he shows up again - stalker.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
User avatar
The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1784
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:13 pm

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by The Old Fogducker »

If he comes back a second time, it may not be done as openly as it was this time.

Report him, and be wary, .... without living in paralyzing fear, but be aware.

If you recognize him in any setting, drive immediately to the police station and file a report, and request police advice in how to obtain protection or temporary change of residence until he is dealt with.

Right now, it is possible he is in the "lonely, creepy old guy" category, but just as possibly, he may be suffering from a mental disorder which may turn into him being convinced that you are returning his affection, and share his desires. ... like so many stalkers of public figures, for example Anne Murray has been the victim of a persistent stalker who has upset her for almost 20 years.

In my younger days in radio & TV, I had a similar stalking experience, and it was quite unnerving.

It would behoove you to take this seriously, as overstating the situation is far safer than underplaying it. He has already demonstrated that rejection has little to no effect on his behaviour, so something more forceful may be required.

Regards,
OFD
---------- ADS -----------
 
fel
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:35 pm

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by fel »

You need to report this guy to the cops asap. If he calls again, *57 after the call to red flag your records @ the telephone company. Police can then warrant the records for evidence.
Stay safe and practice your kung foo kick to the nuts!
---------- ADS -----------
 
freakonature
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:36 pm

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by freakonature »

Post his phone number and we can all give him a call and say hi. Fair is fair.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 657
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by Brown Bear »

All I wanted was to take you out for chop suey and won ton soup. Ah, so, you have hurt honourable feelings. Me no come back no more..
:bear: :bear:
---------- ADS -----------
 
The best "Brown Bear" of them all!
Image
User avatar
JakeYYZ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1293
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:24 pm

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by JakeYYZ »

Keep a can of bear spay on the night table and one by the front door. Underestimating a threat is how you become a victim. Notify the authorities...not that I think they can do anything, but it will help with a self defense claim, should you find it needed.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by Indanao »

..remember that guy that cut the head off the other guy on the bus.....I'm bad. :smt040
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 6103
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:02 pm
Location: Hamilton
Contact:

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by hazatude »

Shit how did I miss this!

Set up something where you are going to be in YHM and you'll meet him. I'll take care of the rest.
---------- ADS -----------
 
niss
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 6745
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:54 pm
Location: I'm a CPL trapped in a PPL's Body.
Contact:

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by niss »

Indanao wrote:..remember that guy that cut the head off the other guy on the bus.....I'm bad. :smt040
I made the same joke, it was set up better and it still got pulled.
---------- ADS -----------
 
She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by Indanao »

niss wrote:
Indanao wrote:..remember that guy that cut the head off the other guy on the bus.....I'm bad. :smt040
I made the same joke, it was set up better and it still got pulled.

Everything is open to interpretation Niss. For example, there was a Post on the new scanners, and I posted : " If these scanners can see your nuts, I know some people who shouldn't walk through there." It was pulled. Depends on where your head was at, e.g.: I was referring to their sanity...You gotta, " role with the punches ".
---------- ADS -----------
 
niss
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 6745
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:54 pm
Location: I'm a CPL trapped in a PPL's Body.
Contact:

Re: Stalker or just a creepy old guy?

Post by niss »

I agree, knowing where your head is at is important. Most important being that it isn't in the hands of some crazy Asian guy from Alberta.
---------- ADS -----------
 
She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Locked

Return to “The Water Cooler”