How do I break into the BC float scene?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

FltDrvr
Rank 1
Rank 1

How do I break into the BC float scene?

Post by FltDrvr »

Anywhere... Anywhere in BC... I've even heard of some 185 job in Bella Bella that is a starting point, not necessarily the best.

Assuming a guy is to get some experience in the main land, what am I looking at to get out there? Where do people from BC start flying floats? They must all start somewhere.

The dream is to live on a sail boat and the occasional surf trip over to Tofino.
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: How do I break into the BC float scene?

Post by North Shore »

Most guys get started 'out east' somewhere, working the dock, and moving up the ranks. Once you have ~1000+ hours, then doors should start opening.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

North Shore wrote:Most guys get started 'out east' somewhere, working the dock, and moving up the ranks. Once you have ~1000+ hours, then doors should start opening.
X2
I had 500+ on floats before anyone out west would return my calls. Get a gig on floats in Ont, MB or Sask and after a season or two, start sending out resumes and someone will pick you up. I think 1000 TT with 500+ on floats should get you an interview at least. Baxter (West Coast) picked me up with around 1200 TT and 500 floats. Your going to WANT and need the experience before you tackle the coast. My 2 cents.
Fly safe all.

zero
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by zero »

Ditto.

Great job once you get it, ya gotta have determination to get here though.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Buy a Champ or PA something or other on floats.

Probably cheaper and more satisfying in the long run... :mrgreen:

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
FltDrvr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FltDrvr »

Thanks for the replies guys...

Once at 500-1000 floats, you'd be posting for positions flying a 185 I imagine? I am guessing experience in the IFR department wouldn't help the cause too much.

Would places like Prince Rupert be the equivalent of say some butt hole in Saskatchewan or Pickle Lake in Ontario? Im just trying to get a feel for the totem pole out there.

Also curious about the turn over rate in Tofino.

Thanks,

T

Also not going to go buy any planes.... that's just silly.

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

FltDrvr wrote:Thanks for the replies guys...

Once at 500-1000 floats, you'd be posting for positions flying a 185 I imagine? I am guessing experience in the IFR department wouldn't help the cause too much.

Would places like Prince Rupert be the equivalent of say some butt hole in Saskatchewan or Pickle Lake in Ontario? Im just trying to get a feel for the totem pole out there.

Also curious about the turn over rate in Tofino.

Thanks,

T
-500-1000 on floats should get you into a DHC2 on the coast. Your time getting the 500-1000 hours is more appropriate in a C180/185/206 etc.

- Your cloud ticket is basically meaningless in the float world. You`ll find even some ops dont want you to hold a current Group 1 because they fear they will lose you to the 1st airline opportunity (You are more employable with a valid group 1 and everyone knows that). I know its seems odd, but some do feel that way.

- Im not sure I understand your 3rd question fully? If you are asking if Prince Rupert BC and Somewhere Saskabush or Pickle Lake are the same?... The answer is no. Rupert is a beautiful place and also has some of the most challenging flying on the entire west coast. Its not a place to cut your teeth in the float industry. I dont believe they will look at anyone without at least 1000 on floats...Its Canada`s rainforest, and a very pretty place to fly. Its much better then Northern Sask, MB, or Ontario as far as living conditions and scenery.

-Sorry, cant answer your question about Tofino. 10 years ago, everyone that was there seemed content and wernt in a hurry to leave. Many of the coast jobs are filled by lifers..so the wait can sometimes be long. All depends on the industry and how hiring goes. Once it becomes a "pilots market" and employers are screaming for drivers, thats when you`ll most likely see an opportunity come available for you. Patience is a virtue..It(the industry) will come back around, and you will get your shot. Just commit to a couple seasons on the Prairies or N.Ont and get some experience on the flatland..then fire out your resume and your turn will come.

I hope that answers your questions.
Best of luck to you in your future endeavours.

buck82
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by buck82 »

Get yourself into a beaver ASAP and build 500+ hrs, know this machine inside and out, treat it with respect, and fly it professionally. With a shave, sharp haircut and good attitude you will have a good chance at ony one of the operators out here on the coast. And remember, out here you will be mostly flying passengers, suits, not cargo.. your flying has to be great and your image impecable.

my 2bits 8)

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”