Edmonton City Centre Airport

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Edmonton City Centre Airport

Post by aviator2010 »

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/columni ... 49621.html
So, by the end of 2012, the airport will be able to handle nine million passengers a year, compared to today’s 5.5 million.

On the non-stop destination wish list, New York City, Frankfurt (“not a matter of if,” says McCart, “but when”) and, surprisingly, Prince George B.C. Plus charter flights to and from Asia.

On the increased frequency wish list are London (England), plus our sister Prairie cities Winnipeg, Regina and Saskatoon.

With more planes coming, you never know what WestJet might offer, hints WestJet VP Dale Tinevez.

About that airport scheduled bus service ... “Of course we need and want it,” says McCart, dismissing any notion of protecting parking and taxi revenue.

“At the end of the day, it’s all about improved access — bus first, ultimately the LRT.”
seems others think LRT access at the airport is not a pipe dream nor the expanded international connections.
---------- ADS -----------

Panama Jack wrote:I'm afraid I will have to agree with aviator2010
W0X0F
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by W0X0F »

Yeh the LRT link to the Leduc County Continental Airport.

Edmonton should really build that rail link. Then Calgary can build rail the rest of the way and we will have no need for any airports at all.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

aviator2010 wrote:seems others think LRT access at the airport is not a pipe dream nor the expanded international connections.
If by "others" you mean one person, the Marketing Director for EIA expressing "wish list" (that term is almost synonymous with pipe dream, btw) services is hardly credible.

They just spent $23 million :shock: yes MILLION, to build more vehicle parking. Why not fund public transit if it's such a good idea? The only way LRT will ever be there is if the ERAA can hoodwink city council (well actually Edmonton's citizens) into paying for it.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

Love the new slogan

http://www.flyeia.com/

Giveitago
Rank 3
Rank 3

They say Invalid.....here we go

Post by Giveitago »

The city lawyer has said the petition for a plebiscite on the municipal airport is invalid.

Word out of city hall is that the petition was too late, and should have been done closer to the decision.

City Clerk Alayne Sinclair says the process to check on the signatures was extensive.

"The municipal government act gives us 30 days to review the petition, and we've had 20 days to review this one. I can understand completely why you need 30, it's a very intense, involved process - and it does require a complete review by each of us in the City Clerk's office to make sure we've done a proper job."

The petition failed on two counts. It fell short on valid signatures and was not brought to council within 60 days of councils decision to close the airport.

Sinclair announced this morning that 4.59% of those who signed were ineligible to sign. That means more than 20,000 of the total signatures were found ineligible.

78,244 signatures were needed to force a plebiscite. Only 73,657 signatures were deemed eligible.

City Council is still planning to have a meeting on the petition this afternoon. (sj,blb)

jeff_w_yeg
Rank 2
Rank 2

Good Bye CYXD...

Post by jeff_w_yeg »

I hate to say it, but it looks like Edmonton City Centre is going the way of the dodo.

It was reported today on Global Edmonton's Noon newscast that Envision Edmonton's petition to the city has been deemed invalid.

Video up on Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/vid ... 252&ref=mf

The long and short of it: They didn't have enough valid signatures (although I didn't realize the city clerk determined the number of valid signatures by statistical methods and NOT by actually contacting people who signed) and the petition wasn't filed within 60 days of city council deciding to close CYXD.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Re: Good Bye CYXD...

Post by . ._ »

How long is it to drive from downtown Edmonton to YEG?

Normal traffic? Rush hour traffic?

Mclovin
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mclovin »

What a shame this is. I have a lot of good memories flying in and out of there, my career really got going flying in out of CYXD. It really is mind blowing how stupid people are.

It can take up to an hour to drive from downtown to YEG in rush hour.

following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Brilliant. :roll:

Tube Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tube Driver »

Solution:

Attachments
Small Cards sept 2010 cb1.jpg
Small Cards sept 2010 cb1.jpg (40.47 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

78,244 signatures were needed to force a plebiscite. Only 73,657 signatures were deemed eligible.

City Council is still planning to have a meeting on the petition this afternoon. (sj,blb)
concile voted 10-3 to not include a question on the ballot

with this setteled at least we now have a plan rather than the half ass compramisses we've been working with

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

Refusing to put the question on the ballot after quibbling off some "ineligible" signatures leaves the councillors voting against the petition if a position where those in favor of the airport may decide to vote them off the council.

So there could well be 13 referendums on ECCA if Envision Edmonton takes their campaign to the city elections. That of course depends on finding candidates in favor of preserving ECCA.

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

Refusing to put the question on the ballot after quibbling off some "ineligible" signatures leaves the councillors voting against the petition if a position where those in favor of the airport may decide to vote them off the council.

So there could well be 13 referendums on ECCA if Envision Edmonton takes their campaign to the city elections. That of course depends on finding candidates in favor of preserving ECCA.
it's not survivor. councillors don't vote each other off. 3 councillors support it next topic

double-j
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by double-j »

Some shameless self promotion... :roll:

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

aviator2010 wrote:Quote:

it's not survivor. councillors don't vote each other off. 3 councillors support it next topic

You congenital idiot - he didn't mean the councilors vote each other out, it's Edmontonians that will do that. With reading comprehension like yours, it's unlikely you will understand the next topic.

It still continues to completely baffle me that anyone with anything to do with aviation would be pleased to see a GA airport in any location in Canada closed. Particularly a large one like CYXD.

The human condition in Edmonton, particularly as displayed by City Council today, is sorely lacking.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
cyeg66
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cyeg66 »

Mclovin wrote:

In a year of living downtown, it never took me more than 45 mins, even with summer construction. In the morning, roughly about 25 mins. And "how stupid people are"...? I figure you're a little older than 12, judging by your other comments of having a career.
Close the thing down, already. It's a bloody airstrip, and one in a bad location, frankly. It's not a UNESCO World Heritage site, or anything of the like. When I saw the changes (finally!) taking place at Villeneuve, then I knew it was only a matter of time that the final nail was sunk deep into the coffin.

Turn right/left heading XXX, vectors for the hell of it.
Mclovin
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mclovin »

cyeg66 wrote:
Mclovin wrote:

In a year of living downtown, it never took me more than 45 mins, even with summer construction. In the morning, roughly about 25 mins. And "how stupid people are"...? I figure you're a little older than 12, judging by your other comments of having a career.
Close the thing down, already. It's a bloody airstrip, and one in a bad location, frankly. It's not a UNESCO World Heritage site, or anything of the like. When I saw the changes (finally!) taking place at Villeneuve, then I knew it was only a matter of time that the final nail was sunk deep into the coffin.
Well thats awesome for you for getting there that fast, you must know a different way then I did. In my 2 years working between CYEG and CYXD, door to door leaving anywhere between 4-6pm would easily be an hour, going right through downtown, backed up on the high level bridge, then going through city streets that are constantly under construction. Its funny I lived at 23rd Ave. and Calgary Trail and it was at least 15 minutes from there to YEG, surely its longer then that from downtown?

And yes I am a litte older then 12, and yes stupid people! People move to an area around an airport and then complain about the noise, the pollution, etc. Any reason to close it down, the same thing is going on here at CYTZ.

And the location of CYXD is actually quite good, right downtown, and close to hospitals for medevac traffic. So now medevac traffic has to go down to CYEG and then drive all the way to the city possibly all the way downtown again?

But with a name like CYEG66 I'm sure you already know this and it won't matter cause it appears you have a hard on for the international anyway.

cyeg66
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cyeg66 »

Mclovin wrote: Well thats awesome for you for getting there that fast, you must know a different way then I did. In my 2 years working between CYEG and CYXD, door to door leaving anywhere between 4-6pm would easily be an hour, going right through downtown, backed up on the high level bridge, then going through city streets that are constantly under construction. Its funny I lived at 23rd Ave. and Calgary Trail and it was at least 15 minutes from there to YEG, surely its longer then that from downtown?

And yes I am a litte older then 12, and yes stupid people! People move to an area around an airport and then complain about the noise, the pollution, etc. Any reason to close it down, the same thing is going on here at CYTZ.

And the location of CYXD is actually quite good, right downtown, and close to hospitals for medevac traffic. So now medevac traffic has to go down to CYEG and then drive all the way to the city possibly all the way downtown again?

But with a name like CYEG66 I'm sure you already know this and it won't matter cause it appears you have a hard on for the international anyway.
First off:
Since when is YXD located downtown?.... :roll:

Secondly:
CYXD to actual downtown can take 20-30 mins (or less, granted) depending on the time of day. I stand by my assertion that it never took over 45 mins to get to CYEG from my downtown living quarters.

Third:
Get some rudimentary facts straight. People here not complaining about noise, pollution, etc. It's Alberta, FFS. Hicks here are married to their jacked up pickups, and show only slight concern when they accidentally crush a rare Prius while driving 140 Kmh. It's the outward sprawl of the city that weighs on citizens' and councillors' minds, hence, the need to redevelop 500+ acres into living space for 30000+ people.

Fourth:
If it took you "at least" 15 mins to drive the 17 and 3/4 km's to CYEG from the Smurf building, then you're one of those shitheads responsible for driving 30 clicks below the speed limit over in the "fast lane"; Psst! That's the one over on the left.

Fifth:
You buy into that perpetually overblown Medevac bs?!? 'Nuf said.

Sixth:
My name isn't CYEG66. See, that's a screen name, a sobriquet, if you will. Is your name Mclovin? That's a pretty bizarre name. Does it mean I have a 'hard on' for the International airport? No, not really. "It" doesn't even twitch at the thought. Perhaps I selected that screen name because I happen to work in the vicinity of the airport. Perhaps. Hmmmmm.

Seventh, and finally:
I apologize if my last post came across as a little curt. However, when "gentlemen" on anonymous forums utilize terminology such as 'stupid' and 'hard on' as seemingly appropriate adjectives, then I tend to think that they've discredited their own argument through such misplaced petulance.

Turn right/left heading XXX, vectors for the hell of it.
Mclovin
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mclovin »

cyeg66 wrote:
Mclovin wrote: Well thats awesome for you for getting there that fast, you must know a different way then I did. In my 2 years working between CYEG and CYXD, door to door leaving anywhere between 4-6pm would easily be an hour, going right through downtown, backed up on the high level bridge, then going through city streets that are constantly under construction. Its funny I lived at 23rd Ave. and Calgary Trail and it was at least 15 minutes from there to YEG, surely its longer then that from downtown?

First off:
Since when is YXD located downtown?.... :roll:

Secondly:
CYXD to actual downtown can take 20-30 mins (or less, granted) depending on the time of day. I stand by my assertion that it never took over 45 mins to get to CYEG from my downtown living quarters.

Third:
Get some rudimentary facts straight. People here not complaining about noise, pollution, etc. It's Alberta, FFS. Hicks here are married to their jacked up pickups, and show only slight concern when they accidentally crush a rare Prius while driving 140 Kmh. It's the outward sprawl of the city that weighs on citizens' and councillors' minds, hence, the need to redevelop 500+ acres into living space for 30000+ people.

Fourth:
If it took you "at least" 15 mins to drive the 17 and 3/4 km's to CYEG from the Smurf building, then you're one of those shitheads responsible for driving 30 clicks below the speed limit over in the "fast lane"; Psst! That's the one over on the left.

Fifth:
You buy into that perpetually overblown Medevac bs?!? 'Nuf said.

Sixth:
My name isn't CYEG66. See, that's a screen name, a sobriquet, if you will. Is your name Mclovin? That's a pretty bizarre name. Does it mean I have a 'hard on' for the International airport? No, not really. "It" doesn't even twitch at the thought. Perhaps I selected that screen name because I happen to work in the vicinity of the airport. Perhaps. Hmmmmm.

Seventh, and finally:
I apologize if my last post came across as a little curt. However, when "gentlemen" on anonymous forums utilize terminology such as 'stupid' and 'hard on' as seemingly appropriate adjectives, then I tend to think that they've discredited their own argument through such misplaced petulance.

Wow thanks for the apology and implying I am "one of those shitheads". Your posts are quite condescending.

I'm not gonna get into a pissing match over the exact geographical location of the airport in the city, the best way to drive from downtown to CYEG, etc. You win anyway CYXD sounds like its closing, congratulations. :prayer:

On a personal note, I enjoyed my time flying in and out of CYXD and again it is a shame to see it go.

Over and out.

Main Gear
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Main Gear »

Wonder if this is a new beginning for Meigs?

September 16, 2010

Friends Of Meigs: "The Door's Open A Crack"
Email this article |Print this article
By Glenn Pew, Contributing Editor, Video Editor

Supporters are hopeful that a volatile election year, a down economy and the departure of the mayor who destroyed Meigs Field means their beloved airport may come back to Chicago, but could they possibly be right? Short answer: not likely. But. One candidate for mayor, State Senator Rickey Hendon, said Wednesday that, if elected, he would reopen Meigs Field on his first day in office. And that suggests Meigs may become a topic in the broader race. AVweb Thursday spoke with Steve Whitney, president of Friends of Meigs Field and active public supporter of the now-former airport since the mid-90s. That conversation was not all sunshine and roses for Meigs. But it showed that Hendon's comments weren't the only reason supporters might have to hope. And, for better or worse, they may now have more reason to believe than they've had in years.

BACK STORY: Seven years ago, Chicago Mayor Richard Daley had the runway at Chicago's Meigs Field destroyed without warning in the dead of night. Now, after serving as Mayor of Chicago since 1989, Daley says he'll not seek re-election at the end of his term. Whitney says Daley's departure and notorious actions at Meigs, plus Chicago's struggling economy (and President Obama's infrastructure plans), could turn Meigs into a political football in the next mayoral race. Hendon's comments support that case. As for Meigs, the case can be made that rebuilding Meigs could create near-term jobs in its construction and long-term support for local businesses. But using the ghost of the airport for political advantage during a campaign is different from tearing up a lakefront public park to reinstall an airport. For many, Meigs is a sort of Alamo for general aviation. And even if you never flew into Meigs, or don't care much about it, you may still benefit from what Whitney has to say.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/me ... MP=OTC-RSS

Never point your aircraft to some place your brain hasn't already been 5 minutes earlier.

Return to “General Comments”