Edmonton City Centre Airport

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

C-206
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Edmonton City Centre Airport

Post by C-206 »

cyeg66,
Your driving numbers a little suspect. Why would you jump on a guy that says it takes 15min to get from his home in the south end of edmonton to CYEG. (which could be true). But from "downtown" it never took more than 45min. (maybe, but unlikely.) Do you consider the south side of the river part of downtown? Regarding Medevacs, 45min to the University hospital isn't a very good argument for closing an airport that is 5min from Edmonton's other major hospital. Yes, I know about the other hospitals, so no need to remind me. Still takes 15min to the Grey Nuns.
C-206

P.S. You better bring your A-game, because I can pretty much guarantee no one on this forum has driven the streets of Edmonton more than I. (I was a courier and a bus driver before I became a low paid bus driver up north.)

P.P.S:
cyeg66 wrote:Since when is YXD located downtown?....
It's called Edmonton City Centre Airport for a reason.

Back to the topic, It is a damn shame that private interests via the ERAA have beaten down the general public with half truths, and outright lies. Joe public is sick the debate, and don't frankly care. Worse yet is when "professional" pilots are in favour of closing down an airport, WTF?
I love when posters on Avcanada say: "In 1995, the people of Edmonton spoke, and they wanted to move traffic to CYEG" but, in 1992 the people spoke (myself included) and we wanted to keep the airport the way it was. AND WE WON.
Can those of you who have been around long enough imagine what Edmonton would be like if they didn't partially shut down CYXD, in 95'. The oil-sands, Westjet, the diamond mines, a small start up like Porter .... like I said a damn shame.
---------- ADS -----------

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

The ECCA has been embroiled in a fierce debate for several decades. In the 1950s, the need for a longer set of runways to accommodate the larger aircraft on the horizon was clear. With no ability to expand CYXD, the search was on for a new site.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_C ... d)_Airport

please stop with the battle begining in 1992

Panama Jack wrote:I'm afraid I will have to agree with aviator2010
C-206
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by C-206 »

Okay...I'm pretty sure I didn't say the fight started in 1992.

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

DC-9s in Air Canada livery operated briefly out of YXD in the early 1980s but left due to field/weight limitations. Time Air and its later brand of Canadian Regional operated Fokker F28s and Echo Bay Mines Limited operated a private 727-100 from the field for several years. However, the demands for ever increasing range and the increased weight and runway length requirements for the next generation aircraft in these series made their use at CYXD economically and in the many cases physically impossible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_C ... d)_Airport

I love Wiki

C-206
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by C-206 »

You like wiki, you should look up Toronto Island airport. Note what the "experts" said back in 70's and 80's, also note the runway lengths.

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

You like wiki, you should look up Toronto Island airport. Note what the "experts" said back in 70's and 80's, also note the runway lengths.
and where is albertas hub

C-206
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by C-206 »

What are you talking about?

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

What are you talking about?
well the way airlines work is known as a hub and spoke system. the spokes are where small regional type airplanes fly they leave the hub and fly the spokes. then they return to the hub. the passengers transfer at the hub to their connecting flights now in the east, toronto's the hub for both WS and AC. In alberta that hub is in calgary. meaning if I want to fly to saskatoon from edmonton My options are POS RJ or connect thru cow town meaning I got a 6 hour ride to toon town, which after ticket plus fees is about the same as driving. with more skatoon bounders thru yeg we can move to a point to point system which in the end is better for everyone except cows town. EDIT

C-206
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by C-206 »

Now explain that one more time. This time sober.

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

Nope, no matter what u or I say cyxd is done and I won't be upset to see it go.

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Since I've flown in the US quite a bit, I've seen several fields located with city limits. They're fantastic for business traffic. Kansas City, Dallas, several cities in California - pick a city there's a field used pretty much exclusively by business and corporate traffic.

That Edmonton needs the land for housing is probably one of the most disheartening reasons for the closure of a historic and useful facility. However, I know it'll take a miracle.

I'll miss flying to city center. It's a sorry loss, in my mind.

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
skyismine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skyismine »

On a side note Avitat is set to take the space and hanger currently being built by a contractor just south of the Shell Aerocentre next to 02-20.

cyeg66
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cyeg66 »

skyismine wrote:On a side note Avitat is set to take the space and hanger currently being built by a contractor just south of the Shell Aerocentre next to 02-20.
Cool. I was wondering what was going on up there. The ramp line along 12/30 is also starting to take shape. CYEG will look pretty different in 2012 (Hotel/new FBO/millions of sq. ft of new apron/terminal expansion). The equivalent of being called up from the bush league to minors. Next step: the majors, of course that's still 20+ years away...

Turn right/left heading XXX, vectors for the hell of it.
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Ever wonder why your municipal taxes GO UP EVERY year?

cyeg66
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cyeg66 »

2R wrote:Ever wonder why your municipal taxes GO UP EVERY year?
I'll guess that you're alluding to the unsustainable urban sprawl that has engrossed both Edmonton and Calgary while a nice plot of land (in Edmonton's case) toward the inner city is veritably underused and (now) available to redevelop?.... 'Cause my taxes certainly aren't being spent on snow removal in my 'burb... :evil:

Turn right/left heading XXX, vectors for the hell of it.
W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

Check out this blog by a gentleman from Seattle who inadvertently discovered something that we didn't know anything about.

http://www.darrensbigscoop.wordpress.com/

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

To me it seems that at the root of it all is the question of why City Council was so afraid of a plebiscite question on the ballot?

Forget all the stuff about timing, actual number of valid signatures or whatever. It is obvious that this is a big issue in the city right now.

If Council made the right decision that reflected the wishes of the majority of Edmontonians, what would be the harm in having that decision verified by those very same citizens?

And we all know the advantage that an incumbent has in a general election (vote splitting by challengers, name recognition, etc) so regaining a seat on council is no validation that their position on the airport issue was in fact the right one.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

Shhhh :shh: :smt018 or you'll remind everybody that this is supposed to be a democracy and that elected officials are supposed to vote for what's in the best interests of their constituents, not themselves.

Lurch

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
tkdowell
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tkdowell »

Flew into CYXD for the first time a couple nights ago with a commercial student on the night xc, great fun.

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

W5 wrote:Check out this blog by a gentleman from Seattle who inadvertently discovered something that we didn't know anything about.

http://www.darrensbigscoop.wordpress.com/

Gets fishy according to the 'Edmonton Urinal':

Blog from fake reporter doesn't add to airport debate

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/business ... z12FRwluwC

Return to “General Comments”