The importance of having a degree

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: The importance of having a degree

Post by TopperHarley »

Dockjock wrote:These threads always seem to find a place for those who need to convince themselves that school isn't necessary. To answer the actual question I'll chip in that no, it's not necessary. In fact the requirements to be a commercial pilot in Canada are pathetically basic. What are there, 3 tests? And how many companies running seminars that basically GIVE YOU the answers? So if you're a lowest-common-denominator type, and want to approach your profession with the attitude that less is always more then great. Don't go to school. You are too streetwise for that and you've CRACKED THE CODE! WIN!

Always, always there is the comparison between the hypothetical 5000-hr degree-less underdog pilot "flying bush and off strip" who rises up to smite the smug, self satisfied, white collared but ultimately (despite his degree) ignorant lout whose only apparent skill is flying an ILS on autopilot. Fellas, it's a false construct. There are scores and scores of airline pilots in Canada that did both. Played the underdog, pretended with Buffalo Joe (and his type, they're all over the north...and south for that matter) that they were a good 'ol boy who jes drives a tractor, or likes fishin, or loves nothing more than a hard day's work or whatever. Then, when it comes time to pack up and leave the shithole, they dust off their higher education and join urban society once again with a large airline or something else.

My advice, get the degree or diploma. It will help you. But realize it is viewed with a strange combination of envy and contempt by those who don't have it, and act accordingly when around those people.

/arrogance
Very well said.
---------- ADS -----------

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

beast wrote:better hope that guy doesn't lose his medical
Actually, he'd be fine. Most people with half a brain can do more than one thing reasonably well. In this guy's case he can drive heavy equipment and weld. He actually made all the tow bars for AO back in the day and charged a pretty penny for doing it.

McJagger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by McJagger »

Dockjock wrote:These threads always seem to find a place for those who need to convince themselves that school isn't necessary. To answer the actual question I'll chip in that no, it's not necessary. In fact the requirements to be a commercial pilot in Canada are pathetically basic. What are there, 3 tests? And how many companies running seminars that basically GIVE YOU the answers? So if you're a lowest-common-denominator type, and want to approach your profession with the attitude that less is always more then great. Don't go to school. You are too streetwise for that and you've CRACKED THE CODE! WIN!

Always, always there is the comparison between the hypothetical 5000-hr degree-less underdog pilot "flying bush and off strip" who rises up to smite the smug, self satisfied, white collared but ultimately (despite his degree) ignorant lout whose only apparent skill is flying an ILS on autopilot. Fellas, it's a false construct. There are scores and scores of airline pilots in Canada that did both. Played the underdog, pretended with Buffalo Joe (and his type, they're all over the north...and south for that matter) that they were a good 'ol boy who jes drives a tractor, or likes fishin, or loves nothing more than a hard day's work or whatever. Then, when it comes time to pack up and leave the shithole, they dust off their higher education and join urban society once again with a large airline or something else.

My advice, get the degree or diploma. It will help you. But realize it is viewed with a strange combination of envy and contempt by those who don't have it, and act accordingly when around those people.

/arrogance
Interesting, running the numbers on the responses on this thread I have come to the conclusion that it is a veritable circle-jerk of an almost fraternal order. The social development, the class envy, proponents of getting a degree... my only two questions are, which one of you is eating the soggy bread? and how do you deal with the hypoxia being so high up in that ivory tower?

I don't find the above quoted post arrogant so much as generally ignorant. Way to perpetuate the stereotype.

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library."
— Frank Zappa

stmymdy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stmymdy »

an education is never a waste

mike123
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mike123 »

Those who make fun of the educated, belittle higher education and discredit its merits don't have the education to appreciate education. You need a degree to appreciate what it means to have a degree.
Well, I happen to have two degrees and I am fully convinced that many people with degrees are nothing more than educated morons. A degree doesn't make one smarter, intellectual curiosity and the search for knowledge does.
"If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library."
— Frank Zappa
This is the best comment on this thread.

mike123
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mike123 »

stmymdy wrote:an education is never a waste
Generally true, but a degree in Queer Studies or in Medieval European Literature is hardly useful in the real world. Moreover, someone who has a useful degree, but has been working in another industry (e.g. flying airplanes) will have hard time getting a job 20 years later without any experience. So, I'd say study something related to aviation or at the very least business management, otherwise don't waste your time now, but make sure you put some money aside in case you loose your medical and you need to learn another profession.

stmymdy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stmymdy »

mike123 wrote:Well, I happen to have two degrees and I am fully convinced that many people with degrees are nothing more than educated morons
mike123 wrote:Generally true, but a degree in Queer Studies or in Medieval European Literature is hardly useful in the real world
just curious, but what are your 2 degrees in? queer studies and medieval european literature?

i agree, that having a degree doesn't make a moron any less a moron,
but there are advantages to having a degree. some on the smartest people
i know are educated in philosophy which is basically a degree in the search for knowledge and wisdom.
which would likely do f-all for aviation, but a smart person is typically better at anything than a dumbass

Last edited by stmymdy on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike123
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mike123 »

stmymdy wrote:just curious, but what are your 2 degrees in? queer studies and medieval european literature?
Engineering and Business Administration.

I have a friend who had a Bachelor degree in French Literature and spent about 10 years selling some crap over the phone and being a substitute teacher a few times a year until he went back to school in his late 30s.

mamba
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mamba »

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry for the late post.

I've read similar topics on pprune, so I guess it turns out that there are no right or wrong way about this, everyone has its own path with its own choices. For me the best would be to do both (degree and flight training at the same time if that's ever possible).

If you have other comments regarding this subject, post it. :wink:

See ya.

Defying gravity
luckheed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by luckheed »

I've seen some smart university grads and stupid "how did you ever graduate elementary school" uni grads. I've seen great pilots with degrees but I've also seen greater pilots without degrees. Anyways, I'm not interested in getting into the debate about who is better or worse since no one is better or worse than the other. However, when I started my aviation career as a "rampie" waaaay up north, cleaning the latrines and loading core boxes and lumber into Twotters, the ramp manager was out smoking one day as I diligently picked up cigarette butts from the yard, and he mentions casually,
"Boy am I glad you worked out!"
"Sorry?"
"Oh, when we were hiring, we had a big debate over whether to hire you or not"
"Oh, over what?"
"Well you got a fancy degree so most of us figured you might be a pretty college boy and go home crying after a couple days"
"Oh"
"Well like I said I'm glad you worked out cuz I'd end up taking the flak for hiring you so. . ."
"Well thanks!"
"No problem and would you mind picking up the dog sh*t while you're picking up those butts?"
"Yup I was just about to do that."
Gotta love this business! LH

traveller123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by traveller123 »

It's a very good idea to have a degree in the case of you loose your medical.

No one know when it can happens...

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

traveller123 wrote:It's a very good idea to have a degree in the case of you loose your medical.
Personally if one was worried about this I'd advise learning a trade. I suppose it doesn't suprise me that knowing a trade is often downplayed by the pilot community, but in my opinion is far more useful just even to make normal life liveable. While having a degree might help me later on in my pilot career, knowing trade skills has helped me immensly now. I also don't have any worry about being employed should I lose my medical, or get laid off, or even for that matter another one of those "aviation decreasing world events" happen.

Not saying that a degree isn't useful, just saying that a lot of pilots would be better off if they had useful skills outside of flying so coffee-stirring (Timmy Ho's currently being the top dollar for that type of work) isn't the only thing they got to fall back on.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

My advice, if a pilot wants something to fall back on if he loses his medical is:

Get your plumber, electrician or heating/cooling ticket. Those guys are needed everywhere in the country because everyone has pipes that will f up, businesses need proper wiring to get insurance and there are furnaces that will f up in every corner of the country.

Or an engineering or nursing degree, but that's a LOT of work, and pilots generally don't like work too much. :P

SunWuKong
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by SunWuKong »

It's a very good idea to have a degree in the case of you loose your medical.
English is my third language but if I had studied a degree in this language I'd hope I could at least spell correctly "lose", even if i know that spelling is a bit loose when it comes to internet forum. Alright it is just a funny wink not a personal attack don't jump on me ;-)

Considering the medical lost only: the proper time to learn something usefull to fall back on is when you precisely lose your medical: then it will be time to learn something in accordance with the labour market at that time, the medical insurance you pay for is here for that.
Paying for a degree 30 000$ just in "case of" that you may use (if your degree is not hasbeen at that time of course) maybe 20 years later, and all of that in order to start an aviation course is simply a joke and a waste of time aviation career wise.
After your degree you will be already tied up with your university loan and will have no choice but to start working and postpone a bit more your training, training that you will eventually begin when the aviation will be in its booming cycle again so that you ll feel in a hurry to get your CPL to surf on the wave, to find out it is too late to get hired being at the end of the hiring cycle so you will be happy to fall back on your old job, and by doing so you will congratulate yourself to have this back up plan without understanding you had created your own failure.

Always study for the good reasons. If you want to go to university, go for it! If you just want to fly, just do it and don't be shy: you will have plenty of time before you meet the Air Canada requirements (flight time) and get a correspondence degree, if you feel you really need it. If you cannot make it in aviation after your training for different reasons, you still can learn something else. I don't see much difference between paying for a degree before or after a CPL debt wise, keeping in mind that if you need money fast it will be more efficient to get a truck driver licence than paying to seat in a classroom for years at university.

Too bad that most of the decision we make are more based on hearsay or missunderstanding than plain common sense.

Truth is always hard to accept.
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

SunWuKong, good post. Common sense is actually quite rare on the ground around here.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
traveller123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by traveller123 »

I don't see any ''booming cycle'' now. When I started university last year we were in a world recession. Why start a career when there's a lot of pilot laid off? In my case, I want to go oversea for beginning and in these countries, the aviation industry was more affected than here. It was not the right time.

So I took the decision to start a degree. It will certainly not hurt myself about finding a job later in aviation... Maybe not help, but certainly not hurt.

For your information I did my CPL-twin this year. It let me just IFR, but it's only valid two years so I wait later.

Education costs here are very cheap (about 8000$ for a degree), why not take the advantage? The prices will double or triple in the next few years. Anyway finance is my principal interest after pilot, it's not boring for me.

Finally, you can tell this question to 100 pilots and they can give you 100 differents answers... Everybody have is own beliefs.

SunWuKong
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by SunWuKong »

Thank you Xsbank.

Traveller 123, if you are interested in finance, and in addition 8000$ is enough to cover your finance degree, please go ahead. I don't believe you will find anybody to say you are wrong, I believe you are right.

I was posting following the sentence that some where using as the very reason to go to university: "lost of medical something to fall back on...". Just wanted to make everything clearer.

Concerning the cycle: i didn't mention in which part of it we are. I just know that a cycle doesn't wait for you (when I say you, this is not particularly you traveller 123), better to be a bit early at the train station and finish your interesting book waiting for the train than staying in your living room reading it. And if i didn't missunderstand you this is exactly what you are doing, so good for you. This is how our industry works, as a cycle, not recognizing it could become an issue.

The time factor is usually forgotten when we take a decision. Time affects pilots by different means: first because they evolve in an industry which is dependant of the economic cycle, second because time buiding comes with time, third because a pilot is influenced by is own age, and last but not least circumstances and situation change with time.

As a result there is no such thing as: (degree being done before the CPL as the thread suggest) "me doing the Air Canada screening with a degree" compared to "me doing the Air Canada screening without a degree", by doing so we forget the time factor, we forget that we compare what cannot exist. Those "2 me" are not, if with speak about an human being working through his pilot career, they are two completely different person, aviation speaking, and in addition won't even do their screening the same year and at the same age.
One of the 2 "me" could even possibly miss the opportunity of any screening worthwhile, and not necessarily the one without degree.

So that is why I said we should study for the good reasons.
Getting a degree before a CPL (the subject of this thread?) for the sole and unique mean to save money to pay for a pilot training, or to have more chance to get hired by a company, and/or having a fall back plan in case of a medical lost could just be a fantasy as explained in my previous post. And we just have to be aware of it.

*** "Air Canada screening" just taken as an example, many other companies worthwhile out there.

Truth is always hard to accept.
evand.13
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by evand.13 »

Hedley wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:47 am IMHO the more degrees a pilot has, the less employable he is, as a line pilot.

Go get a Phd in Physics and then apply to Buffalo. Let me know how that works out for you.

Looking at two identical guys, except one has a degree and 5,000TT and one has a high school diploma and 10,000TT, I'd hire the guy with 10k hours.

PS I have an engineering degree from Queen's U. Very useful in just about everything except working as a line pilot. Nobody needs an educated line pilot.

PPS If you want to get hired by AC, your money and time would be better spent on becoming a visible minority :wink:
I've always thought that myself. If you get into the workforce sooner,you are already one step ahead. I mean really, working up North with companys like Buffalo, you'll probably be off the ramps and in the right seat before the "degree guy" is even done his 4 years. Then he still has to go get his flight training which is at least one year, more often than not two. The best asset as a pilot is that extra ####TT on the job, not a degree. Just my personal thoughts based on the stories I've heard.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Personal 2 cents worth after 36 years in the industry and now no longer in it.

The only people that care about a university degree is air canada, and the major US airlines. Even then, the vast majority hired by mapleflot over time, did not have university. Many had only high school. Sure, university is a good thing, it will give you an edge, but it is not a surefire magical solution. I know of university grads that were told to never apply again by air canada. They are a strange bunch indeed.

Cathay 747 captains, Singapore widebody captains, and on and on and on, did not have university. yet they were successful.

Place your bets, take your chances. Many have looked for that crystal ball, none have found it, so do what you think is the right thing to do at that certain time and certain place, and hope that the stars line up with that perfect timing thing. There are no guarantees in the aviation business.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

Return to “General Comments”