Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

midwingcrisis
Rank 5
Rank 5

AIR CANADA TO COMMENCE TORONTO CITY AIRPORT FLIGHTS IN FEb

Post by midwingcrisis »

AIR CANADA TO COMMENCE TORONTO CITY AIRPORT FLIGHTS IN FEBRUARY 2011
MONTREAL, Oct. 4 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today announced that it has settled the terms of a long term Commercial Carrier Operating Agreement (CCOA) with the Toronto Port Authority (TPA), operator of Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport. Conclusion of the agreement is subject to certain conditions, including agreement with the lessor of terminal space, City Centre Terminal Corp. (CCTC), for lease of space at the airport. In addition, the airline has entered into a letter of intent for the leasing of aircraft and has finalized arrangements with a regional carrier to operate flights from the Toronto Island airport beginning in February 2011.

Air Canada's initial schedule will offer customers the choice of up to 15 daily non-stop flights from Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport, in close proximity to downtown Toronto, to Montreal Trudeau International Airport.

"We are very excited to return to Toronto City Airport in the coming months," said Ben Smith, Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer. "These arrangements mark solid progress as we work to develop a unique product tailored to meet the diverse needs of travelers between Canada's two largest cities. Our customers have told us they want an airport option close to downtown Toronto to complement our Rapidair service which offers flights up to every 30 minutes at peak times."

Flights will be operated with Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 turboprop aircraft. Air Canada has signed a letter of intent with a lessor for the five aircraft that will be operated on the Toronto City Airport-Montreal route. Formal terms and conditions of the lease agreements are expected to be finalized in the coming weeks.

Following a competitive bid process to select a Canadian regional operator for these aircraft, Air Canada has concluded a capacity purchase agreement with Sky Regional Airlines Inc., an associated company of Skyservice Business Aviation. The regional carrier will sublease and operate the Dash 8 Q400 aircraft on behalf of Air Canada. Selection of Sky Regional Airlines was based on a number of criteria including a competitive cost structure, a proven track record in customer service excellence and experience maintaining Dash 8 Q400 aircraft. The selection of Sky Regional Airlines to operate these flights has no impact on Air Canada's commercial arrangements with other regional carriers including Jazz Air LP with which Air Canada maintains a strong commercial relationship.

Air Canada is actively engaged in talks with the airport terminal owner, City Centre Terminal Corp. (CCTC), towards an agreement to lease terminal facilitates that will accommodate the new service.

Dash 8 Q400 aircraft are modern and environmentally-friendly, employing state-of-the-art equipment and technology. They are capable of steep approach and reduced engine RPM landings to minimize operating noise. It is also the most fuel-efficient aircraft in its class, burning less fuel per seat than most regional jets and narrow-bodied aircraft. The Q400 aircraft's revolutionary Noise and Vibration Suppression (NVS) system results in the quietest turboprop interior in the industry. It is powered with Pratt & Whitney Canada (PWC) turboprop engines.

About Sky Regional Airlines, Inc.
---------------------------------

Sky Regional Airlines Inc. is an associated company of Skyservice Business Aviation, a proven Canadian aviation service provider with over 400 employees dedicated to uncompromising service and unparalleled safety and security, the pillars upon which Skyservice Business Aviation was built.

Skyservice Business Aviation provides Canada's premiere fixed base operations, private charter services, managed aircraft, air ambulance and maintenance support for commercial and private air transportation.

As one of the largest and most successful corporate and regional aircraft services and management companies in Canada, its highly skilled technicians have extensive experience in providing support and heavy maintenance services to a variety of regional aircraft including the Dash 8 Q400 aircraft. With over 400,000 square feet of facilities in Montreal, Toronto and Calgary, the company is committed to ensuring all aspects of its operations meet the highest standards.

About Air Canada
----------------

Air Canada is Canada's largest domestic and international full-service airline providing scheduled and charter air transportation for passengers and cargo to more than 170 destinations on five continents. Canada's flag carrier is the 15th largest commercial airline in the world and serves 31 million customers annually. Air Canada provides scheduled passenger service directly to 59 destinations in Canada, 58 in the United States and 60 in Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Australia, the Caribbean, Mexico and South America. Air Canada is a founding member of Star Alliance, the world's most comprehensive air transportation network serving 1,167 destinations in 181 countries. Air Canada customers can collect Aeroplan miles for future rewards through Canada's leading loyalty program, and Top Tier members enjoy reciprocal frequent flyer benefits including lounge and priority services.
---------- ADS -----------

How do you go 205 kts TAS on 32 gal/hr without turbos!
skyler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: AIR CANADA TO COMMENCE TORONTO CITY AIRPORT FLIGHTS IN F

Post by skyler »

Sooner then we (those of us that work there) thought it would happen, figured May at the earliest. I wonder who will do their ground handling and CSR work? Having worked both airline and contract company, I know an airline won't just have anyone do it but will want dedicated people just working their flights, and wonder if the AC logo will be put on the new terminal.

The competition will benefit passengers. If one company is experiencing delays for whatever reason they can now check the other airline for flights.

JTF01
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JTF01 »

I noticed they only mentioned flights between YTZ and Montreal. What about Ottawa?

Also - when is Continental (Connection) starting EWR - YTZ?

skyler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by skyler »

JTF01 wrote:I noticed they only mentioned flights between YTZ and Montreal. What about Ottawa?

Also - when is Continental (Connection) starting EWR - YTZ?
Testing the waters so to speak? I would have thought YTZ-YOW to start, but guess they've figured the loads are better to YUL right now, or pax can connect from YUL to other destinations for winter destinations.

As for CO, US customs isn't on the Island yet so wonder if thats a stumbling block for them right now.

I guess we'll soon see Q400's in AC colors coming to the Island to get used to the airport.

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

skyler wrote:... wonder if the AC logo will be put on the new terminal.
:lol:

El Comat
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by El Comat »

The race to the bottom has begun! I find it ironic that Air Canada pilots are going to be gunning for wage increases, while encouraging their bosses to find cheaper pilots elsewhere. It would've been nice to see the country's largest pilot group stand their ground and not go for the carrot. Oh well, let's hope they don't get raped in negotiations.

EC

Czar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Czar »

Can somebody briefly explain why Air Canada couldn't use Jazz for this service.

CJ6
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CJ6 »

They could use Jazz. But SOME of them think that if they allow their Company to use some other cheaper Tier 2 carrier that they will actually get something in return with their negoiations...IMO, not gonna happen. This is just old childish political BS between Jazz and AC that SOME people just won't let go. Plus the 757's that Jazz are getting left a sore spot for some AC guys, for some stupid reason. Maybe I just don't get it all (very possible), but I agree with others that this is just gonna create a race to the bottom.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

El Comat wrote:The race to the bottom has begun! I find it ironic that Air Canada pilots are going to be gunning for wage increases, while encouraging their bosses to find cheaper pilots elsewhere. It would've been nice to see the country's largest pilot group stand their ground and not go for the carrot. Oh well, let's hope they don't get raped in negotiations.

EC
This issue is far from over. It is somewhat more complicated than what people are suggesting here but at the end of the day, you are right. There are many who are disgusted with this and may be the ultimate demise of ACPA.

As far as getting raped in negotiations, the company is rubbing their hands in glee with the fractured union that began talks today. My apologies for collectively shitting the bed for the entire industry.

AlphaSierra
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AlphaSierra »

Sorry to hear that. Good luck to all involved. Hang in there - TOGETHER!

skyler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by skyler »

I think the discussions on ACPA, Jazz etc is on another board topic

I'm not a pilot, nor work for AC, Jazz, Sky Service..but do work for a company that flies to a downtown airport in Toronto.

Most of us at grunt level figured it wouldn't be until May at the earliest that either AC or Jazz would fly into YTZ, so surprised at the February date...a slow period between the Christmas/New Years rush and then spring break. We haven't heard much, but we did hear that a third party might be brought in for de-icing.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, any word on if they will be doing any flight tests onto the Island (or perhaps grabbing POE pilots), gate testing..etc?

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Wish they would do Ottawa/Toronto Island. Frankly Ottawa to Toronto is better to drive and I rarely take the flight unless I have a connection and am not going downtown. Speaking of which the bloody connection in Toronto where you have to pick up your baggage, recheck etc. .. I always miss or nearly miss the freaking connection ... arghhh...

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

El Comat wrote:Oh well, let's hope they don't get raped in negotiations.

EC
Oh, but they will, and somehow, someway, Jazz Pilots will be to blame, this coming right from some of ACPA's "rogue Pilot's". Funny how when it works for ACPA, we (AC and Jazz) are family. And other times, we're the hated sibling.

skyler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by skyler »

I understand this is a big issue in regards with AC, Jazz, Sky Service..but this thread is about AC flying into YTZ starting in Feb.

I'm a newb in posting, but not in reading and have seen several discussions areas about the above.
Wish they would do Ottawa/Toronto Island. Frankly Ottawa to Toronto is better to drive and I rarely take the flight unless I have a connection and am not going downtown. Speaking of which the bloody connection in Toronto where you have to pick up your baggage, recheck etc. .. I always miss or nearly miss the freaking connection ... arghhh...
I thought they would do YTZ-YOW, or a mix of YTZ-YOW and YTZ-YUL.

Where your connections from the US? Otherwise bags connecting to another flight are taken off the flight and put on the cart for the next flight. The only difference is coming from the US and connecting to another flight, then the bags go through transborder to go through Canada Customs and rechecking your bag..say EWR-YTZ-YOW.

Right now there is only one bag carousel, so things could get interesting in the bagroom with the different tags etc etc.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

El Comat wrote:The race to the bottom has begun!

EC
What will a B757 captain be making at Jazz? Unless my info is incorrect, it will be quite a bit less than a captain was making at the last Canadian carrier that flew those same aircraft for TCX. Face facts, the race began long ago and it's a little disingenuous to put it all on this particular scenario.

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

All we do is speculate folks, every time the news flash comes up! :D

Ground handling....they can hire any g.h. agency for minimum wage or offer the bid to their existing AC staff (like they had before) and have them move there. Not as cheap as first option.

Driving the wages down? How do we know?...anyone out there had an interview with these guys yet? Did they say how much are they offering?

I can go on and speculate things and tell you that I heard from a guy who got an interview and told me it was 95K/year but I'm just tossing numbers then....IMHO I can't see them paying less then Porter...

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

skyler wrote:I understand this is a big issue in regards with AC, Jazz, Sky Service..but this thread is about AC flying into YTZ starting in Feb.

I'm a newb in posting, but not in reading and have seen several discussions areas about the above.
Skyler, as a self professed newbe you need to realize that the recent and long history of ALPA, ACPA, Jazz, SkyService, Porter, and ACE is very much relevant when discussing "new" service out of Toronto Island. This is about the potential degradation of the industry, I assume, you work in. IMO this process is a violation of the CA ACPA has with AC, it was a big FU to Jazz by AC management, and it involves exploitation of lower wages to put downward pressure on the entire pilot profession. As a member of ACPA I am disgusted with how this has played out and hope that it isn't over. This could be the straw that broke the camels back and ACPA might be DOA by Christmas.

This has nothing to do with a business opportunity to serve a "new" market and everything to do with manoeuvring to put downward pressure on labour groups. It opens up future whipsawing between three groups now instead of only two. It basically spells the end of the College of Professional Pilots before it was even at full speed.

midwingcrisis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by midwingcrisis »

Always thought a good move was to snap up those Lynx aircraft. CPA is the way to go as you can negotiate fixed cost per segment and leave everything else up to the carrier. Reason for YUL as a start.......take out the second market of the competition...watch the retreat..move in on the others.....as well as the "star alliance" willing to take care of rest to the US..with well established bases. Continental has a worldly appearance at EWR...from there..anywhere in the world.
Bottom line is the consumer will win and tickles' the upcoming municipal election. BIG MACHINE BREWING!!

How do you go 205 kts TAS on 32 gal/hr without turbos!
winds_in_flight_wtf
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by winds_in_flight_wtf »

Atleast porter has everyone by the balls! I also can NOT at this very moment, picture more airplanes at YTZ (is already quite congested). Mix in some bad weather... ( porter lounges turn into concentration camps) with just PD traffic.

Sadly though, if Jazz proceeds with the air canada cheap shot tactic of dropping fairs to jetsgo prices .... I have no doubt Mr. Deluce will tell them to find their own fuel - lounge- etc:) I look forward to future drama!

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

winds_in_flight_wtf wrote:Atleast porter has everyone by the balls! I also can NOT at this very moment, picture more airplanes at YTZ (is already quite congested). Mix in some bad weather... ( porter lounges turn into concentration camps) with just PD traffic.

Sadly though, if Jazz proceeds with the air canada cheap shot tactic of dropping fairs to jetsgo prices .... I have no doubt Mr. Deluce will tell them to find their own fuel - lounge- etc:) I look forward to future drama!
Re-read the article. Jazz will not be a player in YTZ. SkyRegional will commence Feb flights under a CPA with Air Canada.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”