Commercial Aviation Diploma

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ah79ca
Rank 1
Rank 1

Commercial Aviation Diploma

Post by ah79ca »

I wanna know how much of a difference a Commercial Aviation Diploma has in finding your first Pilot Job, and how much of a difference its going to make on moving up and land a job with an airline.

Thanks,
Andreas

PS: Again, I live in BC, and if anyone has information on where I should complete my CPL and get training for MultiIFR and/or get my Float Endorsement, let me know.
---------- ADS -----------

Miss Mae
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Miss Mae »

An aviation diploma is certainly a feather in your cap.....although most companies are happy with any form of post secondary education.

Best of luck

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

For most places, all that matters is who you know and how many hours you have in your logbook. I am lazily finishing a general arts degree in my spare time just in case I want to apply for Air Canada someday (gives you more points in the hiring process) but for now... no pretty pieces of paper on my wall, and this has yet to affect me in my career.

desksgo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by desksgo »

I'd be more inclined to get a general degree in a "back-up industry collapse" field. You will get far more utility out of it in the long run.

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

Aviation diploma will do nothing to help you get your first job. Train at a location where you at least have the CHANCE of getting hired. As said above, get a formal education in a non-aviation field. Do your securities course.

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

the 30 or so guys you graduate with can sure help you get jobs though. I'm on my 4 aviation job now, and 3 have been handed to me on a golden platter by guys I went to school with. FTU's don't give you the same kind of link.

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

endless wrote:the 30 or so guys you graduate with can sure help you get jobs though. I'm on my 4 aviation job now, and 3 have been handed to me on a golden platter by guys I went to school with. FTU's don't give you the same kind of link.
Depends on how involved you get at an FTU - I worked ramp during my training, then instructed for 2 years, and then got a cool turbine job through a recommendation of my former IFR instructor who had gone on to work at the place...

Powell887
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Powell887 »

I've got an Aviation Mgmt Diploma and an Aircraft Structural Repair Certificate along with all my flight training....I can tell ya it matters not what ya get aslong as its something. It only takes a medical disaster to pull your ticket and if you're only qualified to be a pilot with that kind of diploma....and well you know the rest! I always plan a backup just incase I get screwed somehow! Ya never know with this industry how things are gonna work! You may decide later on down the road you don't want to fly!

Don't get me wrong though....Flying is my passion for any amount of money (pretty much, gotta live off it). Be smart....work a ramp, meet people and you'll do just fine!

flynbutcher
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by flynbutcher »

It means nothing, I hate to say. The best thing to do is to go to school were you can get a job at that same place afterwards, maybe in dispatch or on the ramp.

Return to “Flight Training”