B.C. float-plane operators 'turn page in history' ...

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Floatplane Safety Workshop

Post by Widow »

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Transp ... story.html
Transport Canada bans media from float plane safety workshop
By Larry Pynn, Vancouver Sun August 29, 2010

VANCOUVER - Transport Canada’s decision to ban the media from attending a float plane safety workshop has been criticized sharply from within the industry.

“I feel the press should attend,” insisted Joel Eilertsen, the owner of Air Cab, based in Coal Harbour near Port Hardy. “There’s nothing to be concerned about, nothing to hide.

“It creates a suspicious attitude. I think [the news media] should be able to attend. You should be there to hear the comments from everybody.”

Transport Canada is inviting 55 float plane operators from around B.C. to attend a two-day workshop to discuss ways to make the industry safer.

Ottawa says the Oct. 6-7 workshop in Vancouver will address issues such as “safety record and trends, safety culture, customers’ expectations, protection of passengers, and egress techniques.”

The workshop follows the deaths of 22 people in four commercial float plane accidents over the past two years on the B.C. coast, including six who died in a Seair Seaplanes crash off Saturna Island on Nov. 29.

Martin Eley, director-general of civil aviation in Ottawa, confirmed the decision to “limit the workshop to representatives of the regulator, industry, and safety advocates to facilitate productive regulatory and technical discussions.”

It was Eley who shelved improvements in float plane safety in a letter to a superior in May 2008, saying: “In a subsequent discussion you and I agreed that in the absence of a clear way forward, this file would be put on hold in deference to other civil aviation priorities. Any further work on this file would need to be evaluated in the context of our current organization and our current priorities.”

Among the more contentious issues expected to be debated is whether Transport Canada should mandate a federal transportation safety board recommendation that life vests be worn on float-plane flights.

Five men escaped an MJM Air crash off Quadra Island in 2005, only to drown because they weren’t wearing life jackets and didn’t grab them from the plane before swimming free.

Among other float-plane safety developments, Saltspring Air on Aug. 18 installed the first emergency pop-out windows on a de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver seaplane, making it easier for passengers to escape in the event of a crash in water.

In July, The Vancouver Sun reported that B.C.’s major float plane companies were not complying with a Transport Canada request that new float-plane safety brochures provided by Ottawa be distributed to all passengers.

On Friday, The Sun flew aboard a Seair float plane between Richmond and Nanaimo.

Seair did have the Transport Canada pamphlets on a side counter, but not at the check-in counter, where they’d be more obvious. No one distributed them to passengers or even mentioned they existed, which fell short of Transport Canada’s request to industry.

Inside the Seair office in Nanaimo, the Transport Canada pamphlets were positioned front and centre, at the check-in counter.

On the return flight with Harbour Air, there were no pamphlets at all at the check-in counter or waiting area in Nanaimo. An employee said they were out and expecting more. The pamphlets were on the front counter of the airline’s Richmond office.
This safty advocate (me) will be attending, and hopes that as many ops out there as possible will be sending someone. I spoke at length with Dave Nowzek last week and have a positive feeling about it ... even if SMS is a recurring theme ;)

BTW, you may notice there is no comment from me in the above story ... I was asked for one, but frankly, have mixed feelings about the "banning of the press"!
---------- ADS -----------

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Floatplane Safety Workshop

Post by SeptRepair »

The media should be banned. I believe there would be better open dialog between operators and TC without the fear of misquotes and sensationalized reporting by a bunch of media persons trying to make a story where one may not exactly exist. The best dialog exchanged is one where examples can be cited from personal experiences without fear of reprisal. Kind of what the SMS system preaches.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

Well, one might also point out that there is a lot of float flying that goes on across the country - if Transport Canada is looking for ways to make the industry safer, and intends to implement regulations/policy that will impact all float operators then maybe they should include all float operators?

And like it or not, the media is really the main source of information and voice for the passenger population, who by and large really have no clue about bad operators, unsafe practices and the fact that the regulatory agency responsible for oversight isn't doing any.

Why should the media not be included? They could be invited on a "seen and not heard" basis, in order to ensure transparency and accountability if nothing changes as a result of the workshop. An astute reporter should be able to sift through the bullshit and source out information and interviews after the fact - thereby eliminating any potential disruption or interference to the workshop.

Among many things some transparency and accountability is needed! People who truly care about operating safely don't usually mind being open about how they operate - they have nothing to hide. If the regulatory agency was actually doing their job, they'd have nothing to hide either.

We might not like the way some reporters and/or media venues report the "facts", but many have proven to be very valuable in highlighting industry deficiencies to the traveling public and industry participants. At least getting the information out there may cause passengers to ask questions and arm themselves with information instead of relying on blind faith when they travel.

Just some food for thought...

Cheers,
Kirsten B.

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

Not sure a workshop is needed. Don't push the weather, Don't push the airplanes limits and Don't fly broken airplanes.
Seems like if they are talking about life jackets , or "pop out windows" they have already come to the conclusion that the crashes will continue to happen.

armchair
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by armchair »

Last edited by armchair on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Armchair, your take on this coincides well with the impression I got speaking to Dave Nowzek, the Regional Manager. I agree with Snoopy/Kirsten B. though - I don't understand why it should be limited to operators (what about pilots?? ame's?? etc.) from this region. That said, I hope you are right and if things go well they will do the same in other regions - it just seems to me that all the regions could learn from each other.

I also like your idea of an "amnesty" for those involved. I have spoken with a couple of operators and get the feeling that they feel suspicious and/or less than positive about the direction TC is taking.

Is this just another effort to offload responsibility? Gosh I hope not.

BTW, for anyone who is going, I will be staying at the Sheraton the nights of the 5th and 6th. I'd love to meet and chat with any of you ... there or beforehand. Feel free to contact me :D

armchair
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by armchair »

Most "operators" who will be there are made-up of commercial pilots or AMEs, so that should address you concern on that. Not too many white collar non-licensed types in those operations, save perhaps for the largest ones. Unfortunately, TC has never been known to care deeply for the private floatplane folks, or perhaps I should rephrase this, they feel their responsibility is to the commercial world first, and to a certain extent, I have no problem accepting this. TC rarely puts something like this together anymore, but I'm afraid it will also be a lot of show and tell with little to show for afterwards. As I mentinoned earlier, I see no regulatory changes coming out of this, which in the end commercial operators dont want anyway, but a renewed commitment to adopt safe practices. On SMS, I dont think SMS will ever be fully implemented in that sector, so I think TC will need/must increase surveillance to enforce the current rules - which are adequate.

ALF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ALF »

armchair wrote: On SMS, I dont think SMS will ever be fully implemented in that sector, so I think TC will need/must increase surveillance to enforce the current rules - which are adequate.
+1
Well said.

Last edited by ALF on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
angry inch
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by angry inch »

Is this party invite only?

ALF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ALF »

Invite only. I believe only Accountable Executives and OP's Managers from the 50 something floatplane companies bombing around on the coast. Plus some TC folks.
My buddy is a DOM for one of the floatplane companies and he requested an invite but was told "not at this time".

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Apparently, I'm a special case ;)

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

B.C. float-plane operators 'turn page in history' ...

Post by Widow »

B.C. float-plane operators 'turn page in history' to form safety association
BY LARRY PYNN, VANCOUVER SUN
OCTOBER 8, 2010

Continuing float-plane crashes in B.C., including the deaths of six passengers in a tragedy off Saturna Island, have prompted what the industry is calling historic action to improve safety.

B.C.'s commercial float-plane operators wrapped up a two-day workshop organized by Transport Canada on Thursday with a commitment to create a new association dedicated specifically to safety.

"It's a huge first step," Quentin Smith, president of Pacific Coastal Airlines, said in an interview immediately after the closed workshop. "It's turning a page in history and going forward, breaking down the competitive barriers we've had in the past.

"Clearly, the loud message is that we have to work as a team with one voice and sharing information. This is going to be industry-driven, not government. It's about creating an industry standard."

Bill Yearwood, regional manager of the federal transportation safety board, said he attended the workshop as an observer and was encouraged by what he heard. He said an association would provide a more formal structure for allowing float-plane operators to meet and exchange safety ideas and encourage "best practices."

The safety board has been pushing Transport Canada for years to improve safety on float planes through initiatives such as mandatory use of life-preservers during flights and egress improvements that would allow passengers to escape more readily in a crash at sea.

"An association can do a better job of raising the bar," Yearwood said. "The board has tried to identify the risks and solutions on a broad-based level. If the risk is managed voluntarily by all the operators, that would be great."

Last Nov. 29, six passengers, including a mother and her infant daughter, died after they were unable to escape a Seair Seaplanes de Havilland Beaver float plane that sank shortly after crashing into Lyall Harbour off Saturna Island. The pilot and one other passenger survived.

The safety board report into that crash is expected to be released later this year.

The Vancouver Sun published a six-part series into float-plane safety last May and June.

Aviation safety advocate Kirsten Stevens, whose husband was among five men who died in an MJM Air crash off Quadra Island in 2005, noted Transport Canada has given assurances that the operators' safety association will not replace government oversight of the industry.

"I'm coming away with a positive feeling," she said. "The formation of a safety association is something I've wanted to see happen."

Transport Canada, which invited 55 float operators around the province to the workshop, refused to provide anyone to be interviewed Thursday.

Industry representatives will meet again Nov. 4 in Richmond to discuss more details on how the association will be established.

Viking Air of Sidney, the "type certificate holder" for the Beaver, gave a demonstration at the workshop of emergency pop-out windows it has designed for the aircraft. It has also manufactured new easier-to-use door latches similar to those in a motor vehicle, and put two latches on the cabin doors to make it easier for passengers in the forward and aft cabin seats to use them.

Transport Canada has so far not forced industry to implement these safety fixes, but several operators have voluntarily ordered them.

Yearwood said he was also encouraged to hear that the majority of operators have voluntarily installed satellite tracking systems on their aircraft to allow search-and-rescue officials to find downed aircraft faster and help save lives.

Richmond-based Mustang Survival also gave a presentation at the workshop of its life-preservers, which can be worn by pilots and passengers during flight then inflated manually once they escape the aircraft, reducing the need to search for preservers under the seats during a crash.

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: B.C. float-plane operators 'turn page in history' ...

Post by Bushav8er »

"Clearly, the loud message is that we have to work as a team with one voice and sharing information. This is going to be industry-driven, not government. It's about creating an industry standard."
Its already Industry driven with Government endorsement. Why else do the CARs state that everyone is deemed 'tired' except DHC-6 drivers and Air Taxi? Operators and Unions (with Commuter and Airline). Why duty can be 14-17 hrs. Then there is SMS :roll:
Yearwood said he was also encouraged to hear that the majority of operators have voluntarily installed satellite tracking systems on their aircraft to allow search-and-rescue officials to find downed aircraft faster and help save lives.
But TC still would allow them as an 'alternate' to the useless and mandated 406 ELT.

If this is to truly work best for safety, than 'Industry' has to be better balanced with the inclusion of PILOTS & citizens.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

phillyfan wrote:Not sure a workshop is needed. Don't push the weather, Don't push the airplanes limits and Don't fly broken airplanes.
Seems like if they are talking about life jackets , or "pop out windows" they have already come to the conclusion that the crashes will continue to happen.
Ya, what a waste of time. Imagine talking floatplane safety for 2 entire days. Sheeesh...

Pull your head out of the sand Phoolyfan. Discussion is good. Solutions to real world problems are solved this way, through organization, communication, plans of attack and follow-thru.

Here's hoping we'll see some positive steps forward in aviation safety come about because of this new organization.

jeta1
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jeta1 »

Last edited by jeta1 on Sun May 06, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

It's not rocket science. Stop flying heavy, badly maintaned airplanes, in bad weather. There I just saved everybody the travel costs.
If the idea is that shit happens and we are trying to save lives when the inevitable occurs. I say throw helmets on everyone also.

angry inch
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by angry inch »

Stop flying heavy, badly maintaned airplanes, in bad weather
You forgot to mention "while exhausted"...

glorifiedtaxidriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by glorifiedtaxidriver »

How's about we also use this opportunity to bring up the concept of paying pilots on a per mile basis? I'd really like to see that disappear. That's always seemed like a no brainer to me. Somebody back me up on this one. It's been a few years since I flew on the coast. Are there still guys out there with a per mile rate?

Vx.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Vx. »

I'm with you glorifiedtaxidriver, pay by the mile only encourages "flying heavy, badly maintaned airplanes, in bad weather, while exhausted"

PDM folks, PDM.

angry inch
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by angry inch »

Good one Glorified. Another good topic for those who are "turning a page in history" to adress...

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”