CMA DASH

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

AJV
Rank 4
Rank 4

CMA DASH

Post by AJV »

When did they get Dash 8's? Are they flying them yet? I say them like there is more than one but I have no clue... :rolleyes:
---------- ADS -----------

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: CMA DASH

Post by ScudRunner »

Read this, CMA bought out HawkAir.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=63158&hilit=CMa+buys+Hawk+Air

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

This has been misunderstood from day 1.

CMA DID NOT BUY OUT HAWKAIR.

The owners of CMA bought out Hawkair. They also own Northern Thunderbird Air. Hawkair is still being run as Hawkair. Yes the owners of all 3 companies recently bought a Dash 8 - 300. The most recent news is that it is going to Hawkair (as expected - DHC8 ops, crews, maintenance already in place), however it will most likely be supplementing a current CMA route that the D328s are currently running (YVR - YDQ - YYE return). This frees up D328 capacity for charters and possible frequency increase from the Alberta side).

:rolleyes: It is a bit of a messy setup as is, but look for future amalgamation of operations (my guess).

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

Totally agree kind of like the Perimeter buying Calm
Air blah blah blah

However the poster made the post after this add came out

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=67679

The add was actually from CMA looking for Dash 8 AME's, so I think the integration is happening sooner rather than later.

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

This has actually been going on for some time now. Keep in mind, even though Hawkair is based out of YXT, all their flights originate or terminate in YVR. It only makes sense for the new owners to train the already in place CMA mx guys for any unscheduled Dash 8 mx.
Nothing is for sure, but expect to see the new Dash being operated by Hawkair but operating existing CMA routes.

square
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by square »

I doubt you're going to see more capacity going to Hawkair, they're a recent acquisition because they're been fairly succesful and competitive with CMA but they're unionized and cost more to run a/c than the rest of the company. And they all have 705 OC's.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

It's a great way to do the more risky mine charters and such without the possibility of tarnishing the AC/ CMA thing. Just like any gravel, short runway, more challenging 1900 flying goes to NT. And if you need to sub charter it's one hand paying the other top dollar for the write off.

Smart companies operate more than one OC. If one gets shut down/goes bankrupt/has an incident/ gets sued/ etc the rest are unaffected. Or if CMA wants the Dash's in their fleet the 705 OC is still worth money on its own.

Poor Hawkair has been passed around like a bowl of pretzels the past few years eh?

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

True, but they should actually be thankful they are still around. Call it mismanagement or a flawed business plan to begin with, they have been through bankruptcy protection 2 (or is it 3??) times. To be reacquired twice is pretty fortunate. The owners of CMA and NTA seem to know what they're doing (CMA has been around for ~30 years) so it's probably a good thing for the employees and shareholders of Hawkair.

Return to “Employment Forum”