Air Canada Interviews

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

GottaFly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Air Canada Interviews

Post by GottaFly »

I think interviews must be underway for the latest Air Canada hiring. Anybody have any other word on what their plan is? When are they starting ground schools? When are the new pilots going to be online?
---------- ADS -----------

GF.
sepia
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Air Canada Interviews

Post by sepia »

Interviews started over 2 weeks ago, and have some into at the very earliest late this week. I have no idea when they continue until, or when they bring people on line. I also know that they've started medicals for successful applicants. I would imagine course dates starting mid to late November would be realistic.

... on the midnight train to romford
Lost in Saigon
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Lost in Saigon »

As of OCT 05, 2010, here are the latest courses planned for New Hires: (always subject to change)

B-767 Relief Pilot COURSE #652 YVR
----- ---- NEW HIRE TBA YZ B-767 R 29NOV10 27JAN11 R~

EMJ First Officer COURSE E15 YYZ
----- ---- NEW HIRE NEW HIRE YZ EMJ F 02DEC10 31JAN11 R~

GottaFly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GottaFly »

This is very helpful. Thank you very much for the replies. My guess then is that the feeder airlines will be looking for a handful of people probably starting around November-December.

GF.
Flywest
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flywest »

I see the job posting on the web site is now open until June 1, 2011. I believe it was initially supposed to close mid-October.

Glen Quagmire
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Glen Quagmire »

Apparently another bid is due out in November or December which would most likely show some additional vacancies on top of the 51 from last months bid.

Clyde River
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clyde River »

Glen Quagmire wrote:Apparently another bid is due out in November or December which would most likely show some additional vacancies on top of the 51 from last months bid.
Management can plan as many bids as they like, but the requirement is for 2 per year, closing by the end of Dec, and end of June. We now seem to have 4 per year...possibly to avoid having to pay anyone for not training to bid equipment? It is very hard to determine what the real requirement is, but generally it seems that AC will do whatever it can to avoid summer training. So to have people trained up prior to "high" season (spring/summer) would seem to indicate that the growth would be shown on the Sept and Dec equipment assignment bids.

I'm not sure what the "new hire" induction course involves these days, but it has been usually ~2 weeks (maybe 12 days of actual work), then a short break, and into your aircraft course. Usually the aircraft course is ~2 weeks of classroom/intro procedures sim, and then into the sim for the actual sim course about 10 days, including probably a pre-ride and ride. Then line indoc, usually about 25 hours on line, and a minimum number legs (which I'd have to look up). Take this with a grain of salt, because I haven't referred to the latest course profile info.

SilvrSurfr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SilvrSurfr »

Just reading the latest release from our Senior Director of Flight Ops. Looks like the first course is planned to start mid November and a further one course a month for the following three months. Then after the next bid (Nov-Dec) better idea of what is ahead for further hiring. Good luck to those of you applying.

Surfer

grosmourn
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by grosmourn »

Just a reminder for the new hires from Rick.... No J-Class for You!!

little bird
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by little bird »

Hey guys,

Has anyone on here received a call for an interview? if so, what kind of experience/education/languages do you have?

Cheers :)

sunnysideup
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sunnysideup »

nope,
im also looking to see what kind of question are being asked, what the tests are all about. how much notice they give for the interview? are you expected to make your own way to YYZ.
guys, any info, would be great.

Thanks to all, he posted earlier. :rolleyes:

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

When you get the call they normally give a selection of interview dates and they will provide a positive space ticket to and from YYZ from your city of residence.

Tiny Tyke
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tiny Tyke »

Can anyone describe the full interview process? I searched some stuff on here but it seems like it might be out of date.

I hear there is a cognitive (coordination test), a formal interview, and a psych test. Can anyone provide any more info or expand on that?

groundtoflightdeck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by groundtoflightdeck »

The process is basically unchanged from last time around. As I understand it.

When they restarted hiring in Oct there was about 1-3 week notice for interview. When hiring is rolling along like last time it was more like 6 weeks notice.

There is an behavioral interview- as someone said: be familiar with that format. Having the questions in advance is really not that helpful. You need good stories to link with the questions. There are good interview prep services out there.

COG Test, Psych test are fairly generic lots of questions, very tiring. Answer truthfully- Air Canada doesn't see your answers but if you are not being honest they get an 'invalid' on your personailty profile and that does you no good. You cannot prepare for these tests.

There is then a 4-6 week period of waiting until the results of everything go to the board and they descide how you compare with the others. Reference checks happen here.

If you are successful and they are about to place you in a ground school you get a pre-employment medical- more thorough than a normal CAT1 but basically checking for problems.

Once it all comes together you get the call. 3 weeks at least for notice seems to be standard on both cycles. Air Canada seems to let your boss know when he can expect to lose you before they call you.

This is a hybrid of last hiring cycle process and this time's in my experience. Not to be mistaken with the actual process it could be a bit different for everyone.

Hope that helps and good luck!

sunnysideup
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sunnysideup »

Thanks a million groundtoflightdeck,
I havent had the call, but got the request for further information, then an email stating that i made the pre-selection criteria, that a "human" will review the application, its been 5 weeks now.

ihavecontrol
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ihavecontrol »

I had a friend interview recently and they basically described the process as it is stated above. Behavioural interview with 12-13 questions. Very relaxed, most questions ask you to describe a time when you made a tough decision, advocated for a fellow crewmember etc. Three sets of psych tests, two with about 120-150 questions each then a longer true/false one with about 550 questions. There also is a cognitive test which consists of several activities testing your hand-eye coordination, response times, multi-tasking abilities etc.

MeAndMrPenguin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MeAndMrPenguin »

Cog Test:

Looks for latent brain dysfunction. You can find info online about it and learn before you go. There are strategies to speed up and make your test easier.

Psych tests:

These are designed to pick up on liars. AC does not see the direct answers I think. Various versions of similar questions throughout. I remember that in the last forty of one test they asked me 4 different ways if i was suicidal.

Interview:

I researched this a lot before I got interviewed. KNOW what behavioral based interviewing is about. There are a ton of questions available online. A lot of them can be modified for aviation. There are a couple of tricks here:

1) These questions are not concerned so much with your hours, aircraft flown or miraculously amazing flying skills. These questions are looking to see how you interact, react with coworkers etc. Remember this! Your log book got you in the door, now it is your personality. Bragging directly or indirectly about how special your log book is does not help. A negative outcome in a story where you learned shows character!
2) Have a tool or acronym that helps you remember a process to answer questions. Short answers are usually insufficient. S.T.A.R. is one of them.
3) Go through your log book and write out every story you can think of. Then cross out the ones that will likely not help you to much or embarrass and FORGET THEM. The last thing you want to do is start a story you do not want to finish!
4) Practice practice, practice, be original and learn to keep a smile on your face despite your previous aviation experience. You're almost there!
5) Consider an interview prep, dress sharp and get a lot of sleep!

Good Luck!

M.A.M.P.

JayDee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JayDee »

grosmourn wrote:Just a reminder for the new hires from Rick.... No J-Class for You!!

I guarantee you if you show up with even a hint of the above "attitude" you will not get hired.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

So I've heard of calls going out. Not sure when that started. Has anyone gotten any PFO's, or know if anyone that's got them yet? I know this is a tough one to answer if you got a PFO, but it's nice to see where they are at in the whole process. Thanks! Good luck to all

Adret
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Adret »

I got the call last Tuesday but still have not received the 'confirmation E-Mail'. I was wondering how long this generally took as my interview date is fast approaching. If they have the wrong e-mail address is there a way for me to contact to appropriate personel?

Thanks all

Return to “Air Canada”