University Degree vs College Aviation Diploma

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

University Degree vs College Aviation Diploma

Post by BTyyj »

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by BTyyj on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
rjonno
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: University Degree vs College Aviation Diploma

Post by rjonno »

Get a university degree from a real university while banging out your PPL/CPL/MIFR at a good FTU. Get a job on the ramp at an airline that hires from the ramp asap, and when you're done your real degree you'll get your right seat. After a couple thousand hours on something loud in and out of gravel places, start thinking about Jazz. Best of both worlds, and when, like most pilots, you come to the conclusion that aviation is a useless pursuit of unrealistic goals, you'll have some other qualifications to fall back on.

Don't get me wrong, I could never do anything else.

Good luck

mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

Jazz chose to team up with http://caac.ca/ and only hired grads from Colleges that are members of this association.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

rjonno wrote:Get a university degree from a real university while banging out your PPL/CPL/MIFR at a good FTU. Get a job on the ramp at an airline that hires from the ramp asap, and when you're done your real degree you'll get your right seat. After a couple thousand hours on something loud in and out of gravel places, start thinking about Jazz. Best of both worlds, and when, like most pilots, you come to the conclusion that aviation is a useless pursuit of unrealistic goals, you'll have some other qualifications to fall back on.

Don't get me wrong, I could never do anything else.

Good luck
Best advice so far

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

mattedfred wrote:Jazz chose to team up with http://caac.ca/ and only hired grads from Colleges that are members of this association.
Is that just for fresh CPLs or for anybody who applies? I know they have an arrangement with Selkirk where one lucky graduate can get a right seat right away, but it seems pretty foolish that they would chose people with these diplomas over candidates with better qualifications (hours, previous IFR and turbine experience, etc).

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

It was just for fresh CPL's last I read. I think you will find that the arrangement with Selkirk was the same as with any other member of CAAC.

I don't know the justification for it.

However, my second job was as a Metro II FO with under 500 hours TT and I was able to pass a left seat PPC after 12 months on type.

I didn't fly with any of the 'College Grads' at Jazz until they had been here for well over a year. I consider a few of them to be in the top 20 FO's that I have ever flown with at Jazz.

I'm not saying that this is fair or a good idea but I am saying that it is possible.

BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

Last edited by BTyyj on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

[quote=]Does anybody know why certain pilots are getting chosen over others to be hired for Jazz. I am going to try do everything possible to get them to pick me. I am working my ass of to hold 90s in high school and I am also going to try get some sort of job if possible at Jazz like sweeping hanger floors or something, just to say that I have been an employee for them. I really would like to be able to do that.[/quote]

Hey,
First of all, have you ever flown before? Do you like the idea of flying or the idea of being an airline pilot? If it's the latter you will be miserable during the progression. There are so many younger people out there that have their eye on the destination (Airline flying, etc.) and not the journey. Based on regular career progression it will probably take you a minimum of 7 years from now to get to Jazz, depending on how the stars line up. Remember, there are lots of pilots out there, many of whom are very very hard workers and do incredible things. Make your goals a little more general or else you'll drive yourself crazy.

Last edited by CanadianEh on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

Last edited by BTyyj on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
fly-drink-chicks-music
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fly-drink-chicks-music »

A few close friends of mine were hired directly from college, well 6 months + after their interview. A graduate from a Aviation College diploma program, id suggest it anyday. Really in depth stuff. However, I believe the get a degree in another field, flight train, and get a ramp spot while finishing up your IFR is the way to go. The second you done, your right seat Metro, King Air 200 etc. From my understanding at Selkirk and the others, this past year consisted of the end of the Jazz contract. However it may have been renewed.

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

Okay, I guess that makes sense. I have flown a number of times and after every flight I still can't believe people get payed for it. Nothing makes me more happy. I would agree though that the chances are very slim, and all the stars need to line up. But I would just like to use every opportunity to be able to be picked.
just to clarify, have you ever piloted an aircraft like a Cessna 172 or only flown as a passenger on a jet?

Last edited by CanadianEh on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

I still can't believe people get payed for it.
Airline managers think along the same lines, so make sure you do your research on this front so you're not disappointed.

Last edited by CanadianEh on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

Last edited by BTyyj on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

Last edited by BTyyj on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
metal
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by metal »

He means to get a degree that you could actually use.

BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

dirk82
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dirk82 »

I just went through the same soul searching process trying to figure out which route to go, I opted for the self paced program mainly for the fact I can work and not have student loans when Im done, kinda nice to finish without the 50-60k pain in the ass after 2 years school. That said I wasnt overly impressed with the business program that they offered with the CAD program. I felt it was an extention of their night business classes with a small touch on aviation. Dont get me wrong Im all for more education but it seemed that the course was really watered down for what they called a business class.

Just my 1 1/2 cents

BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

appilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by appilot »

The University of New Brunswick has a good aviation program. You can get a degree in business administration while getting your CPL, night, multi, IFR. Depending on what you want from it, the program can be 2-4 years. Both the university and the FTU are excellent. Though I don't intend to use my degree to the extent other grads do, it was definitely time well spent and I loved my time at school. Being done in 3 years doesn't hurt either.
Check out http://cel.unb.ca/aviation/ and message me if you have any questions about it.
Good luck!

BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

Return to “Flight Training”