Impossible Turnback After Takeoff

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Impossible Turnback After Takeoff

Post by ogc »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:
The guy in the video did a good job, but I do not think this video constitutes an example of the "impossible turn" as the failure occured at what looks like 1500 AGL. After the turn back the airport was visually well down the intrument panel so he was plenty high to get back. It would be interesting to find out the cause of the failure and if it fell into the 72 % statistic of Mr Shiff, that is engine failures after takeoff that were caused by the pilot.
Description

"Taken from the the AOPA's Air Safety Foundation's 'Real Pilot Stories' Series. If you're an AOPA member, you can check out the whole story online.

It is made very clear throughout the presentation that this is NOT the recommended course of action to take when your engine quits at 500AGL after takeoff, as it did to this guy, Dave Keller. His engine had a cracked cylinder that finally failed and separated from the rest of the engine. He freely admits he was VERY lucky. So, a cool video to watch, but don't try it at home!!"
---------- ADS -----------

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

The engine failed 8 seconds into the video and he touched down 1 min and 7 sec into the video. If he were at 500 AGL this would imply a rate of descent of 500 ft/min which is simply not realistic for an aircraft which has lost all power. Since he was climbing at the time of the failure there would have been little excess speed above glide speed to convert to distance or height. Furthermore the stall warning horn was on for portions of the glide indicating a speed well below best glide and he was steeply banked for a good part of video as well as the fact that the gear was down for the last part of the glide. These factors would have significantly increased the rate of descent in a no power situaton. So there are 2 possibilities

1) he was at least 1000 ft AGL at the moment of the engine failure, or

2) despite the catastrophic damage the engine had experienced, it was still producing significant horsepower thus allowing a much less than normal rate of descent as compared to a total power loss.

Looking at the video again he does seem pretty low when the airport becomes visible yet he ends up landing so long he almost runs off the end of the runway. This leads me to believe scenario 2 is what happened.

This is not to take away from a job well done, but again I think one has to be carefull to compare this situation to a total engine failure at 400 feet. I think it also is important to note he actually made two decisions. The first was to turn towards the airport and the second was to do some pretty aggressive manoevering to line up with a runway. If he had leveled the wings when the aircraft was pointed at the airport and simply glided to a gear up landing on the flat area between the runways that he was pointed towards, there is no doubt in my mind nobody would be hurt although the aircraft probably would have been destroyed. The aggressive manoevering to line up with the runway was literally a do or die affair, because if he had lost control at that point an almost certainly fatal low altitude stall spin accident would have occured

Again I do not wish to imply I am being critical of this guy. He survived a very difficult situation by being cool in the face of a big emergency and utilizing some pretty good stick and rudder skills. Rather I thought it might be usefull to discuss some other considerations which applied to this scenario.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

I suspect that this subject will perpetually be discussed by pilots as long as airplanes are flown...
Hedley wrote:A friend of mine - a good stick - had an engine failure at 400 AGL after takeoff in a Harvard, a couple years back.

He turned around and landed it uneventfully on the departure runway.

With a bit of training, IMHO most pilots could do it. It's really not that hard. I've never really understood all the fuss about it.

If you train for something, you can probably do it. If you don't train for something, you probably can't do it.
Personally can or can't do it is irrelevant to whether it should be taught. You're right, the turn isn't hard and with a suitable ammount of training is easy - relatively - to accomplish safely. To me its a numbers game. Whether the turn can be made by a proficient pilot isn't the question, the question with the manuever is whether or not the decision to do so is going to result in a safe landing. There is also the aspect of whether or not the turn around has sufficient advantage to making an off runway landing straight ahead of the airplane. Turning around and not landing on a runway is generally more hazardous than landing ahead of myself off the runway.

Back to that numbers game though. Wait, not yet. Lets take a look at what the FTM says about the subject. Assuming we've gotten around the possibility of doing a bad turn and putting ourself into a spin...
...Experience and careful consideration of the following factors are essential to making a safe decision to execute a return to the aerodrome:

1) Altitude.
2) The Glide ratio of the aircraft.
3) The length of the runway.
4) Wind strength/ground speed.
5) Experience of the pilot.
6) Pilot currency on type.
For the sake of arguement the first four are really what needs to be known if one is going to make the attempt, I'll leave 5 and 6 until later in this discussion.

Pulling some numbers from the book for the 172 and dealing with only the first three factors mentioned, we can quickly see what's at play. If we suppose that after take off we're climbing at best rate, the airplane is climbing at a rate of 9.6:1 (for every 9.6' forward it travels, it climbs 1') its glide ratio however is only 9.1:1. Those numbers are SL performance, standard day, with no wind.

Before Strega steps in, the numbers are of course rounded with a bit of rough calculation. The important bit to draw from this is that those numbers are very tight.

Needless to say the numbers for the climb become worse as as we go up in altitude, so climb performance at 4000' ASL is down around a climb ratio of 11.4:1. To put those numbers into how this affects the topic of discussion if the airplane climbs from SL up to 400' is able to manipulate time and space as to not lose any speed or altitude in positioning itself for the return glide so that essentially it is gliding straight back the way it came, it will make 400' AGL 3840' from its point of rotation and glide back 3640'... In other words its return glide brings it back approx 200' from where it left the ground. Indeed will a max effort take off, the mighty 172 will only be around 500' from the threshold of a 4000' runway on return.

Naturally that means that hedley's feat is well within the realm of possibility even if we take into account altitude lost during the turn. In actuality, the turn back at a lower 400' is more possible/probable than say a straight climb to 1000' AGL where one will end up approx 500' away from one's rotation point. If one extrapolates this, naturally there becomes an altitude where the airplane will no longer be able to return and make the runway. This becomes more apparent if we increase the field elevation (assume again standard day, no wind, max gross weight, best rate of climb) taking off from 4000' ASL now at 400' AGL, assuming the same magical turn back for the sake of simple math we now end up approximately 900' away from our point of rotation when we return. If I climbed to 1000' AGL it puts me 2300' farther from my rotation point. Still doable on a 4000' runway? Remember as well though that now we've used more space during the take off too. Instead of approx 500' used prior to rotation, now we've used 1150'. Still doable by the simple math numbers, but it certainly makes things a bit tighter.

Naturally deviation from standard conditions affects things considerably, helping or hindering depending on which way you go. More than 4000' feet of runway also helps your margin considerably, shorter than that makes it considerably more dicey. Wind really plays havoc with the numbers, but in most cases, with the exception of a straight down the pipe headwind hurt your cause, any sort of tailwind in the process drastically reduces your chances of being successful. Throwing any obstacles into the mix also might limit your options.

Realistically now to give yourself the absolute best chances of making a turn back to the runway you need to know those numbers. I'm sure that many have it figured for their home field, do you figure it out for everywhere you go? Remember the numbers change as you get higher. Do you know exactly where your window is? More importantly when the prop stops you have a short time to recall that piece of information before the opportunity is lost. Any wasted time or movement dramatically reduces your chances.

*sigh*

I don't need to tell you people this though, and lets face it I'm only convincing the choir here. But I'll discuss shortly issues 5) and 6) above which are of course probably the two most pertinent to the discussion. The real problem here is that a majority of flying pilots out there if you asked them would answer that the are both experienced and current. According to TC you're "current" if you've flown within the last two years, hardly the proficiency that we really need out of pilots to give them the chance to execute this manuever sucessfully - that's if they realise that its only doable under the right conditions.
I've never really understood all the fuss about it.
The fuss is really not about whether pilots are able to pull off the manuever, but whether they can always make the decision correctly whether they should pull off the manuever. People are unfortunately very suceptable to gambling on the high risk/ high reward scenario. In my mind pilots must be trained against this tendancy. The problem being that pilots will gamble when they are not %100 sure of whether 1) to 6) of the above are favorable.

Getting long winded here, I feel I must reiterate that I think very poorly about Mr. Shiff's presentation. Both of his cases which are presented as "successes" are poor examples based solely upon "I survived" being the only real god part about them. They both scream of poor decision making and poor awareness of the situation. His second survival after all involves a collision with another aircraft - Its hard to imagine any scenario where that's your best option, or at least if you put yourself into it the poor chain of events that you participated in to lead to it. It does highlight another problem with the turn-back, how aware are you at the point when you make the decision to do so of what's behind you. Did someone taxi to position? In a floatplane scenario there's lots of things that move on a lake as he discovered. What about obstacles? I know at my home field some land developer in their infinite wisdom have placed a few that limit my turn back possibilities.

This also brings into question why ATC gave him grief when he turned back, doesn't sound like we're hearing the full story here. I've made an immediate turn around after take off to return to my departure end when I had a problem and ATC was totally cool with it, if not the best helpful bunch they could be.

Either way, we're not privy to really the full scenario of how he made it back successfully, conditions and what his options all were. The same might be said of Strega's excellent mooney driver. Yes he did a good job, but like BPF says, certainly looks like he had lots of altitude, there was certainly lots of runway (and two of them for even more options) where he was positioned in relationship to it, what the wind was like and the aircraft's performance - though obviously being winter certainly tips the scales in his favour.

I've talked long enough, but a few questions remain. Firstly, how would the proponents of the turn back like it to be trained, if indeed all that needs to be done is some extra training? Secondly, How much do you think that this will save the lives of pilots (and passengers) if this is mandated? Lastly given that current training on the suject you view is inadequate and that pilots as a majority are currently ill-equiped to deal with the scenario, do you think that training/licensing should be changed now?

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

I think it might be helpful for me to do a youtube video which would include PGI and external and internal footage of multiple turnbacks in a 172. There is certainly some confusion as to what the relevant factors are.

No one can argue whether or not a light trainer is capable of it - it certainly is. The question every pilot needs to ask himself is, "Am I capable of doing it?"

If you're a "straight & level" pilot and haven't trained for it, the answer is probably no.

If you're comfortable doing a surface-level inside vanilla solo loop, the answer is probably yes. I would wager than any of the Red Bull pilots could easily perform the turnback, even during their first solo flight in an unfamiliar certified single engine aircraft.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Hed

As I have indicated in earlier posts, for the PPL and lowtime CPL, I teach no turnbacks below a 1000 feet AGL....full stop.

I am curious what you teach ?

This issue like most involving discussions of flying technique, is resistant to one perfect answer, so I am not asking with a view to debating the point, but rather to hear an alternative approach.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

BPF: Have no fear, I do not recommend that low-time pilots attempt either surface-level inside loops, or the turnback :wink:

However, I do take issue with claims that the turnback is aerodynamically impossible. This is simply not true.

Is the turnback wise to attempt without training? No. Would it be wise for a low-time PPL with no tailwheel experience to jump into a single seat Pitts and try to teach himself aerobatics and landings? No.

But that doesn't mean that the Pitts is incapable of aerobatics, or a successful landing.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Hed

You have not answered my question.

Do you provide any specific guidance with respect to when, when not to attempt a turn with respect to the EFATO case ?

Again not looking to pick a fight, just curious.

One thing I find interesting is the majority of instructors I have talked to think my 1000 AGL prohibition on turnbacks is too conservative.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

No one can argue whether or not a light trainer is capable of it - it certainly is.
Not all the time, not under all conditions. The math simply doesn't work, and in my experience nor does it by practice. It also isn't always the best choice even when the numbers do work. Keep in mind that I'm also not contending that it is aerodynamically impossible to make the turn safely, but that it is relevant to the climb performance / glide performance of the aircraft.

It could be that I'm a crappy unskilled pilot, hence the invitiation still stands.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

the majority of instructors I have talked to think my 1000 AGL prohibition on turnbacks is too conservative
Given that a large percentage of the commercial pilot flight test candidates struggle with the incredibly simple power-off 180 degree landing from downwind, is your prohibition really conservative?
climb performance / glide performance
Now you're nibbling at what matters :wink:

Hint: the 210 degree descending steep turn (180 won't do it) is actually pretty simple, and doesn't require very much altitude.

What can be difficult, is making it back to the departure end of the runway, because most aircraft glide steeper (power off) than they climb at full power. Most aircraft are horrendously underpowered.

Here are some tips to help you make the runway:

1) climb at Vx (no one ever does) to 400 AGL
2) headwind helps. Yes, you will land with a tailwind. Deal with it
3) turn into any crosswind, NOT away from it, to reduce your turn radius and distance to glide
4) long runways help. 3,000 foot runway can be tricky. 10,000 foot runway is a cinch

What troubles me is that so few people understand something so simple. This isn't rocket science. There are many things that are more difficult to do in an airplane, such as a perfect, no-torque, minimal radius hammerhead with a metal prop and a short fuselage and no horizon.

My apologies if my technical position is heresy and blasphemy to the Established Order (tm). I tumble differently than everyone else, too:

http://www.pittspecials.com/movies/tumble.wmv

I am just a simple pilot and engineer who worships at the Church of the Internal Combustion Engine, where our litany is the Four Strokes: Suck/Squeeze/Bang/Blow.

FlaplessDork
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlaplessDork »

I've been successful with the turn back in training many times. Conditions have to be right and the maneuver flown to perfection. With a good tailwind you'll eat up runway and tires. That being said, the average private pilot may not pull it off and I have witnessed first hand the results of attempting the turn back. Watched a Murphy Moose come up 1/2 mile short when his engine quit.

Personally, I don't like the turnback. Survivability goes up if I go straight ahead.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

come up 1/2 mile short
See above. His airplane did not explode with infinite G during the turnback - he had trouble making it back to the departure end of the runway.
I don't like the turnback
Then for God's sake don't do it. One of the most important lessons you can teach new pilots is that if you don't like it, don't do it, regardless of whether or not it is legal, fashionable amongst your peers, etc.
With a good tailwind you'll eat up runway and tires
If your biggest problem after an engine failure & turnback is that you flat-spotted a tire, it's still a good day.

FlaplessDork
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlaplessDork »

Hedley wrote:
come up 1/2 mile short
See above. His airplane did not explode with infinite G during the turnback - he had trouble making it back to the departure end of the runway.
I don't like the turnback
Then for God's sake don't do it. One of the most important lessons you can teach new pilots is that if you don't like it, don't do it, regardless of whether or not it is legal, fashionable amongst your peers, etc.
With a good tailwind you'll eat up runway and tires
If your biggest problem after an engine failure & turnback is that you flat-spotted a tire, it's still a good day.
Maybe I didn't get my point across in my last post. Just because I have been successful when I have tried the turnback myself during my own practice, doesn't make it the safest option. I was unsuccessful quite often as well. The most successful action would be straight ahead. I only taught going straight ahead, and would only go straight ahead if the engine really quit.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

It seems to be the Xmas season and the mods are being very generous in their latitude, so I have self edited my post.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Hedley wrote: What can be difficult, is making it back to the departure end of the runway, because most aircraft glide steeper (power off) than they climb at full power. Most aircraft are horrendously underpowered.
This is what I'm getting at. In truth I have people try the turn-back on an occasional basis when I check them out on aircraft. Usually when they do I'll say they're usually American and come from somewhere warmer and more civilized. While there is the fact that these fellows are usually out of practice - though one was a CFI and worked traffic patrol down in San Francisco. We pull the power around 500-700 AGL on climb out, they make a magnificent turn around (though if they're American they occasionally try to put it into a spin...) and realise there's no where to go. Best glide speed, they're not making the runway. At this point I'll usually point out to them that its going to really hurt when we hit that road allowance which is perpendicular to our landing path. On the plus side its a good demonstrator for people who move here what density altitude does to performance. The other point is that if you're not intimately familiar with the terrain, people often have poor judgement on how far away they are from the runway that they're intending on gliding back to. The 172 isn't the only plane I regularly fly either though, the point is really made clear in the 150 or the Cherokee 140 where on some hot days (density altitude on the ground being up around 7-8000') you're five miles from the runway by the time you break 1000' AGL (max glide in the Cherokee is about 1:10 or so they claim) at 1000' AGL you're about 30,000' feet from the runway - think fast, can you make it back?
Here are some tips to help you make the runway:

1) climb at Vx (no one ever does) to 400 AGL
Certainly does, but how much it helps wanes pretty quickly with an increase in density alt. More importantly, most people don't do it in their usual take off. Lastly in some light planes there is no real difference between the numbers. Weight also plays a big factor in climb performance. How often do people demonstrate a turn back when they're full?
2) headwind helps. Yes, you will land with a tailwind. Deal with it
3) turn into any crosswind, NOT away from it, to reduce your turn radius and distance to glide
Ideally the take off with the headwind makes it so you extend your glide distance back and is the optimum condition for the turn back. A crosswind however hurts a lot more than one would think and is often an unknown at altitude. I don't know how many times I've seena 5-8 Kt wind on the ground with a 20-30Kt wind at around 500 AGL. Unless you're operating out of an airport with more than one runway, a majority of your take offs are going to be with some sort of crosswind component. Dealing with a tailwind on the landing is really trivial when it comes to this - unless the headwind on take off was so strong - in which case it might have been preferable to land straight ahead into it if you got lots of runway. Taking off with a tailwind though makes the turn back a definite no go unless you got lots of ashpalt to get back to - why would one take off with a tailwind one might ask? Too bad Larry isn't still here to explain.
4) long runways help. 3,000 foot runway can be tricky. 10,000 foot runway is a cinch
Maybe its just me, but a majority of the runways I use are 3,000' long or less. Some of them are even grass. Some even have interesting obstacles and a few are sloped. I don't view them as unsafe, though they certainly aren't ideal for an EFATO scenario.
What troubles me is that so few people understand something so simple. This isn't rocket science. There are many things that are more difficult to do in an airplane, such as a perfect, no-torque, minimal radius hammerhead with a metal prop and a short fuselage and no horizon.
What I take issue with when it comes to the EFATO turn back is how it is often presented as "if you only trained to do it, you can accomplish it all the time." Often pilots who have done it at one time (as demonstration or for real), will use this as proof that its a golden hammer solution and focus on the reward of doing it successfully.
My apologies if my technical position is heresy and blasphemy to the Established Order (tm).
Its not the technical position I have issue with, its all about presentation, just like Mr. Shiff. The whole story isn't being told. A lot of back-patting often goes on with how well someone pulls off this manuever and a lot of it goes to how awesome the pilot was rather than whether or not he was concious of the factors that allowed him to do it. Too often when reading about these occurances - like Mr. Shiff's - you get the idea that they really had no idea if they were going to be successful when they decided to do the manuever, it was a gamble rather than a calculated plan.

Personally I'd like to see some numbers on that - though we already do have some. Every crash where we can see someone turned back and didn't make it is where someone gambled and lost - whether you think that it was just because they weren't trained/practiced enough in doing it, or whether they had no chance of gliding to the runway from their position, it matters not. Of those who were successful it would be interesting to see of that number how many actually had previously practiced the manuever or made any sort of climb/turn/glide figure.

JAHinYYC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JAHinYYC »

I attended the inaugural flight instructor refresher course offered at Seneca College in the Fall of 2007 along with 20 or so instructors of various classes (I-IV).

One of our evenings was spent doing scenerio based training exercises using thier nifty suite of flight simulators.

One of the exercises was the engine failure and turn back scenerio. With a swarm of TC Inspectors watching each of us strapped on the Bonanza sim they had. The deal was you took off in the sim and climbed runway heading. At an altitude of the pilot's choosing (told to the sim operator in advance) the engine would fail and you were supposed to turn 180 degrees and dead stick it to the runway.

My first attempt was straight ahead climb out to 800' when the engine died, I pulled the prop full coarse and turned. Still landed short of the departure end.

Believe it or not the second attempt was worse climbing to 1200' with a 15kt headwind.

I heard that only one guy made it back to the runway that evening.

I don't understand why you would take a relatively simple forced approach scenerio and introduce the possibility of a stall spin at low level by trying to turn back.

Last edited by JAHinYYC on Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HavaJava »

JAHinYYC wrote:I pulled the prop full fine
You mean full course?

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

I don't understand why you would take a relatively simple forced approach scenerio and introduce the possibility of a stall spin at low level by trying to turn back.
No matter what a pilot decides to do he or she should be able to make evasive turns at or near stall without spinning and I'd hope that a well trained pilot's decision not to turn back is not based on a fear of a stall spin but rather on rational assessment of the best within gliding distance option.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Odd. I found it quite easy on the Seneca college Bonanza sim to do a successful turnback, when I did the instructor refresher course there.

I am NOT advocating that every yahoo out there attempt the turnback for real. What I am asserting is that is aerodynamically possible, if the maneuver is flown optimally, which is rarely done.

As far as stall/spin during the turnback ... I am fascinated that you didn't have any problem with it, in your many attempts in the sim. This is because angle of bank is not inherently evil, as so many instructors teach. It's all about the wing, and it's angle of attack to the relative wind.

Since you are not attempting to maintain altitude during the turnback, you can actually use lots of bank . As I mentioned earlier, I frequently use 90 degrees of bank, sideslipping on final, and my airplane does not explode with infinite G as is taught, because I am not attempting to maintain altitude, and the ball is not in the center.

One very simple maneuver I perform at airshows is sustained knife-edge flight. Drive down the runway with 90 degrees of bank, and altitude is maintained this time. Again, frowns may appear, because I am not experiencing infinite G as is taught, even though I am maintaining altitude with 90 degrees of bank. Hint: the ball is NOT in the center.

Pop Quiz: what is the wing's AOA as I drive down the runway at a constant altitude with 90 degrees of bank? Am I flirting with a stall/spin?

PS: my apologies if I am not taking enough of a "motherhood and apple pie" approach. As an engineer and airshow pilot, I am far more technically interested in what an airframe is aerodynamically actually capable of, rather than preaching established dogma. You probably don't want to know how I deal with turbulence, either.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

I found this video.

Nice job!

trampbike
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by trampbike »

Hedley wrote: Pop Quiz: what is the wing's AOA as I drive down the runway at a constant altitude with 90 degrees of bank? Am I flirting with a stall/spin?
Wings are at 0 degree AOA, hence they produce no lift, otherwise you would be turning.
I guess you could stall the fuselage in some conditions, but I don't know if any airplane has enough rudder authority.

Hedley wrote: You probably don't want to know how I deal with turbulence, either.
I do.

Think ahead or fall behind!

Return to “Flight Training”