Runway Orientation at LAX

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rhn4321
Rank 0
Rank 0

Runway Orientation at LAX

Post by rhn4321 »

I refer http://bit.ly/fg8UUS. There are four seemingly parallel runways – even otherwise, they’re certainly not divergent by ten degrees – yet one pair is called 24 and the other 25. What am I missing here?

Regards
-r
---------- ADS -----------

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Runway Orientation at LAX

Post by aviator2010 »

orintation is 249.1 degrees on all of them the only thing I can think of is they don't want to use left center and right center

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... rt_map.PNG

Panama Jack wrote:I'm afraid I will have to agree with aviator2010
Joe Blow Schmo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Joe Blow Schmo »

Pretty normal. Some airports with more than 2 (YYZ, PVG) and all airports with more than 3 parallel runways do this.

HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HavaJava »

Exactly, you can only have 3 parallels on one set of runway numbers using left, center, and right. When you get to 4 parallels you have to round the magnetic heading up for two of them and down for two of them.

Also, sometimes they will assign a different number to a 3rd parallel runway especially if it is a long way away from the other two (ie. CYYZ, KORD), however, most often in these cases a 4th parallel runway is in the long term plan for the airport anyway.

Joe Blow Schmo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Joe Blow Schmo »

Of course YYZ managed to nicely confuse the issue when they renumbered the then 2 existing runways before building the 3rd. You then had 5/23 and 06L/24R where 06L was actually the runway on the right side (of the 2 existing runways) and 24R was on the left side.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

I haven't been to LAX in ages.

But what I see is that the two Northern runways are named 24L and 24R, and the two southern runways are named 25L and 25R.

Since we can only name runways Left (L), Right (R) and Center (C), but we have 4 runways in parallel, are there any better options for naming them?

P.S. If they were to put the southern runways much further south, they could name them 24I (Izquierda) and 24D (Derecha), as happens at Mexican airports. Solo en México.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Comments”