Peninsulair in Hamilton

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Babybird
Rank 0
Rank 0

Peninsulair in Hamilton

Post by Babybird »

Does anyone have any input on them? I'm thinking of getting my PPL and commercial there.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Northern Skies »

I have nothing but the best to say about them. I have never seen a flight school with such a professional, experienced, down-to-earth staff anywhere. They are completely honest and true about anything, and do not try to squeeze every penny out of you like I have experienced elsewhere. I have trained at five flight schools for various reasons (ie. interesting a/c types, special training, etc.), and there are only two places of them that I would wholeheartedly recommend (the other one is parallel aviation in BC).

I know this sounds a bit biased, but they really do impress me. I am not affilliated with them at all. If you have any specific questions, ask!

Cheers!

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

Nice people all around.

PA31 Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by PA31 Driver »

Very nice people working there and some well maintained aircraft too.

multiprop
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by multiprop »

Did some flying on the twin at the school. Man the thing looks so old. The instructor asked me to do the walk around before a check-out flight and when I came back and told him everything was fine he told me that there was fuel leak. To which I responed that that is unsafe and you should have someone look at it. His repsonse, "it's been like that for a while, nothing wrong let's go flying." Then after I wanted to rent the twin solo, they had double booked me and on the third attempt to rent it solo the battery died. Looks to me like they don't take care of their a/c. In fact I received a flyer in the mail to come back and fly with them where I would get 10% off block time. I would never waste my money on that school. Trust me go somewhere else or PM me and I will help you out with the instruction part.

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Looks like PA31 and multi disagree on most things.

Timing is everything.
PA31 Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by PA31 Driver »

[quote="multiprop"] Then after I wanted to rent the twin solo, they had double booked me and on the third attempt to rent it solo the battery died. .[/quote]

Batteries just don't die !!!!!!!!!

Would you like me to show you how to start a Seminole ?

PA31 Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by PA31 Driver »

multiprop wrote:PM me and I will help you out with the instruction part.

you better learn how to start it before you take on anymore trainees

flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

Great place to fly!

I obtained my PPL here - and I've got no reservations. I'll attest to the fact that the instructors won't milk you for time - and they're very professional.

The fleet of Cherokees and Warriors are in relatively well condition...I've never flown the Seminole or Tomahawk.

If you're looking to do the PPL, I wouldn't suggest anywhere else.

PM me for more details if you wish.

LostinRotation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LostinRotation »

They seem to have had a fairly good fleet of A/C when I started to shop around for my PPL,CPL and multi. The only reservations I had were the folllowing. There are no new aircraft in the fleet. For my time building toward my CPL I went to a few places west and into the U.S and I wanted A/C that I knew wouldn't cause me any grief when I was 1000 miles from home.
Second most of the aircraft are low wing, not alot of variety if you want to fly high wing A/C in anticipation of a float rating etc.
Third. I was looking at doing trainning somewhere I wouldn't feel the added pressure of a busy control zone. Going solo on a glider was stressful enough, going solo in a PA-28 with a UPS 737 on your butt while trying to juggle terminal, traffic and ground radio...meh. When I had added confidence and was ready, then I headed into the control zones, first at off times then at more prime time hours as my skill increased throughout my trainning.
Forth was simply the amount of time I would spend on the ground waiting for ground clearance and the possibilites of the 15 min taxi, which I had the pleasure of enduring twice during rather hot summer days on trips to visit the good ppl in the transport office and visit Dr. Ridge for a medical renewal. All that time costs you money and if I was going to pay $$$ for the hour flying...I wanted to be flying and learning
Last and not least...the runways...THEY ARE FRICKEN HUGE ! ! !
LOL ! You can almost land sideways on them which is great initially. It's when you have to land on a small runway like Goderich, Kincardine, Guelph, Burlington, Saugeen, Muskoka etc....all the places your going to want to do some great X-country flying. If you learn on a smaller runway which requires more focus, you'll find landing at Hamilton, Ottawa or London to be easy breesy and even find you need to land long to avoid a long taxi up the centerline to the taxi way.

I love visiting YHM and I've only ever heard good things about the ppl at pen air, these were just my reasons for the choices I made

-=0=LIR=0=-

Sometimes I think it's a shame when I get feelin' better when I'm feelin no pain.

flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

lol...okay, let me just make a rebuttle here...nothing personal :)

1 - No such thing as a UPS 737...
2 - Since WestJet left last year, there are hardly any flights. I think WJ is running something like 8 flights a day as opposd to 27. Canjet has a few thrown in there too...but it's nothing like what it used to be.
3 - the only time it's *really* busy at YHM is between about 2200 and 0200 for crago ops.
4 - Travel time (even to rwy 30) isn't really that long. You want a BUSY CZ and jammed taxi ways? Try Buttonville. I've waited over half an hour to take off there!! Hamilton is a piece of cake. The odd jet adds some flavour.
5 - The thing about landing sideways on the runways...well that was supposed to be a secret...o well, what can you do...

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

"1 - No such thing as a UPS 737..."

aRE YOU SURE?

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

hazatude wrote:"1 - No such thing as a UPS 737..."

aRE YOU SURE?
Check out their fleet:

UPS Air Cargo Website - Aircraft

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

desksgo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by desksgo »

There's no 73 in either of those links...and why I cared to look is even more of a mystery

aero-singidunum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aero-singidunum »

I have been maintain UPS cargo birds in YHM for more then few years,
did you mean UPS 727 and 757.
Four years ago they had DC 8 in YHM.
Regarding flight school, all the best, i know DoM there, he is very good man and excellent mechanic.

Return to “Flight Training”