Outfitters in the Chapleau area

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

orsonic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Outfitters in the Chapleau area

Post by orsonic »

Hello, i am looking for information on the outfitters in the Chapleau area. Has anyone worked for
them ?? . Condition of outpost and equipment in general ?? thinking of booking a fishing trip with Chapleau air services. pm me if you prefer
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by orsonic on Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
CFMartin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Chapeau or Chap L eau?

Post by CFMartin »

See PM.

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

There's more than one air service in the Chapleau area. When you single out one as you have and tar the whole area based on your post that's unfair CFM
I can only tell you to wear your hat if you are requesting info on Chapeau.
Call Denis and Val Ladouceur @ 1-705-864- 0442. I worked with Denis for a number of years and found him fair and honest.

CFMartin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Chapeau

Post by CFMartin »

Driving Rain, this comment was directed to the litteral translation of Chapeau, mentioned in the original post, without the L, which means "hat".

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Chapleau air is run by a decent fellow and the beaver PUQ is quite well kept. If you're in that general area.. I'd suggest going to (just before the town of foleyet) Ivanhoe and chatting with George Theriault at the ivanhoe river inn. Great group.. good prices, everythings well setup and you'll enjoy it that much more!! Tell em Mike sent ya :wink:

ttx15
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ttx15 »

hey everyone

Chapleau Air service is run by a gentlemen with a long history, Mr. Lee Cole. I will suggest you to go with any other outtfitter around and you will have a very good time. Enjoy your fishing trip.

ronzy 1972
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Outfitters in the Chapleau area

Post by ronzy 1972 »

LOOKING TO FIND A PHONE # FOR LEE COLE,CAN ANY ONE HELP ME.WANT SOME INFO OF HIS CAMP AT ROLLO LAKE.

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re:

Post by Bushav8er »

ttx15 wrote:hey everyone

Chapleau Air service is run by a gentlemen with a long history, Mr. Lee Cole. I will suggest you to go with any other outtfitter around and you will have a very good time. Enjoy your fishing trip.
+1

Airspeed-Alive
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Airspeed-Alive »

ronzy 1972 wrote:LOOKING TO FIND A PHONE # FOR LEE COLE,CAN ANY ONE HELP ME.WANT SOME INFO OF HIS CAMP AT ROLLO LAKE.
Check your PM's.

Lethal_Hobo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lethal_Hobo »

My grandfather used to fly C-FOCT for about 25-30 years in the 50s to the 70s between Sault Ste Marie and Armstrong Ontario and apparently it's with Chapleau Air Service (has been since 75 i think). Anyone know what that aircraft is up to these days?

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Ole Cole finally po'd enough customers that he has none. OCT is parked along with the rest of his planes. He's pretty much out of business.

As for Rollo Lake Lodge, it is a total dump set in a swamp. The lake has a few trout and even harder to catch walleye, as well as a few pike. Get ready to share the lake with illegal fishermen who ride in, as well as the private camp owners on adjoining Brett Lake.

The fridge doesn't work, the steel boats are rotten and leak. No dock, just a small beachtion..

Save yourself a miserable trip and either come up to Atikokan or try Dennis as previously mentioned.

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

I think I met LC in the summer of 94'. I was on a short road trip looking for a job while still in college. I was still sore from the attack that the 'office girl' at Air Dale gave me when showed up at LC's place. My girlfriend (now wife) waited in the car while I walked into the office. LC's office girl was there and nearly raped me with her eyes. Just looking at her I pitied the guy that ended up knocking her up and having to take her back home with him or settle down in Chapleau for the rest of his life. Then a taller and thinner Ronnie Hawkins like character walks in and we start talking. He points to the Seneca grad working around the dock and says that the guy won't log a single hour this summer and will only get to fly his plane next summer if he works hard. Then LC asks me how to calculate how much rug he needs for a renovation he is working on. I thought he was testing me but it soon became apparent that he had no idea how to calculate area.

I swear the aviation industry is more entertaining than any TV show, movie or cartoon. I have met so many characters that I would otherwise not even dream of imagining.

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Rowdy!! Chapleau Air closed a couple years back. Only Denis Ladeceur in Chapleau now. WAAS up! Where you workin?
I hear they're dropping like flies in the dives, and jars may well sink them in Nov if they don't smarten up.

floatpilot8
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by floatpilot8 »

There are other outfitters in the Chapleau area.
Parks Fly-In Fishing has camps North of Chapleau they fly out of Wawa.

laceyyjohnson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by laceyyjohnson »

Inquires regarding Lee Cole and Sunset View Camps & Chapleau Air Service:

Sunset View Camp is family owned and operated, though it has not fully operated since about 2008. The camp is currently not open to the public as it is undergoing repairs and upgrades.

As a family we understand the current state of the camp and offer apologies to any guests who have visited the camp(s) with disappointment. We sincerely apologize for any issue you've had with the camp or employees.

There will be no response to any correspondence about the camp regarding fishing trips, flying, hunting, etc. as we work through this transition with family.

The camp and any remaining outposts are private property and trespassing will not be tolerated. The camp and it's assets are not for sale.

andre_Lachapelle_
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by andre_Lachapelle_ »

the sunset view camp on engineer lake two winters ago almost got knocked down we removed a birch tree and fixed up the wood stove pipe which was busted up the porch got alittle messed up though just the screen but the dock and steps into the camp are in bad shape

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

I thought the federal government was taking it over for back taxes. Anyone who buys the dump will have a huge environmental mess on their hands. Contaminated soil and 3 illegal fuel tanks in the ground.

Umegon Lake
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Umegon Lake »

I met Lee Cole in 1968...…..I was 11 at the time and going on my first Canada fishing trip with my Dad and a couple of his friends.
Lee and my dad first met in 1956 and we stopped at his "Trading Post" on Umegon Lake. My Dad could not afford a fly-in ticket but Lee would tell
my Dad where and how to navigate local waters from the main road to get back into some really good lakes. I believe a year after 1968 the old
"Trading Post" burned down to the ground and that started the building of what once was the grand new lodge up the hill on Umegon Lake "Sunset View Camps".
Lee was raised in the foothills of the Smokey Mountain basin and was a country boy to say the least. Lee lived a rough life, married and had a family but loved the outdoors too much to keep his first marriage together so he committed his life to being a bush pilot and running an outfitters camp that I believe was originally started by his dad.
I see some posts here stating negative feelings towards Lee and I will tell you...….Lee really didn't care what you think. He was very rough around the edges. Lee had a younger brother Jerry, and Jerry was of a slight but muscular build but lean and stronger and ornerier than a wolverine. I have many good memories of Lee and Jerry and I also had some times when things got heated but we always settled our differences and I respected the man regardless.
Lee's diesel generator broke down one year and we hand pumped gas for Lee for 2 days during the height of blackfly season. Lee offered to fly my dad and I into Winnebagon Lake for free for 2 day and we were hooked on flying in to a different lake every year for the next 25 years.
Sometimes the cabin was in bad shape but we got by. Sometimes the weather was bad....but we got by. We flew into Rice Lake one time and the previous group was there to meet us at the dock and were irate and threatening to rough Lee up. Lee looked at them with his cool blue eyes and southern drawl and calmly told them they could do whatever the felt necessary but reminded the of one single thing...….he was the only guy there that could fly the plane. That stopped the whole show!
Lee told us that after he loaded them up and said goodbye to us for the week that he flew them straight into Chapleau where they were all held and fined by the OPP. These are the type of guys that probably have ill feelings towards Lee and like I sad...….he really didn't care.
Lee lost his license due to poor health and the business started a downward spiral. His daughter died at a young age and that changed him.
Lee wintered in Dearborn, Michigan and I still have his last available phone number on the back of his business card . My dad would be 88 if still alive and I am quite sure Lee has passed too unless he is still mean enough to beat death.

Lee could be your friend or your foe...…….....it was your choice, but if he liked you he wasn't too bad. If he didn't......then you best stay home.

I have lots of stories to tell but my fingers are getting sore.

DannyB
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DannyB »

Hello, can anyone point me in the direction to contact who now owns the property on Rollo Lake? The cabin is completely demolished and the property seems to be abandoned. However it is private property and I would like to contact the owner or owners. Thank you for any help.

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

FishingLodge.com. All inclusive fly in from Chapleau. Awesome fishing, 100 walley a day per boat this spring. Great home cooked meals. Strictly fly in. Highly recommend!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”