Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
User avatar
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 6618
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:53 am
Location: A couple of meters away from others.

Post by Beefitarian »

So, time for your check ride here. Are you nervous? Just try to think of it like any other flight...

Oh good here comes the camera crew. You're going to do this one on National television!

:mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------
 
ILS26_Steep
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:13 am

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by ILS26_Steep »

I think the film makers can easily play a burnt lightbulb and hype of the Bullshit so much that "Non-Aviators" will be on the edge of there seats in not changing the channel.
---------- ADS -----------
 
burninggoats
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:08 am

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by burninggoats »

I learned early in season 1 that you can fly IFR with only a compass and altimiter.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5959
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: West Coast

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

My favorite Ice PIlots line

The scene: Joe and a rampie/wannabe cojoe are flying the 3.

Joe: lets see the map

Rampie: pulls out LO chart and gives it to Joe

Joe: I said a MAP ! You know like an MMMMMM AYYYYYY PEEEEE :smt040
---------- ADS -----------
 
Go Juice
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:37 am

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by Go Juice »

Is it me or today's episode was kinda boring???
---------- ADS -----------
 
A device is yet to be invented that will measure my indifference to this remark.
Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:55 pm
Location: Between a dock and a hard place.

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by Human Factor »

Go Juice wrote:Is it me or today's episode was kinda boring???
Just you. I thought the treasure hunt for the CL-215 was quite an interesting and refreshing change from the norm.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Will fix airplanes for food.
Brewguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:49 am

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by Brewguy »

That Mikey looked like he might as well have been wearing a bright yellow shirt with the words "Kidnap Me" and a giant bulls eye on it when he was down south. Now that would have made for some interesting TV.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Cheers,
Brew
TheCheez
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:53 pm
Location: Trenton

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by TheCheez »

I liked yesterday's episode too. The hunt for the 215 was fun to watch and I'm liking seeing the rampies get their first FO chance. As someone who chose the military after getting the 2 year diploma, I've always wondered how the other half lives. While I realise it's edited for the show, it's certainly eye-opening, and interesting.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:55 pm
Location: Between a dock and a hard place.

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by Human Factor »

TheCheez wrote:I liked yesterday's episode too. The hunt for the 215 was fun to watch and I'm liking seeing the rampies get their first FO chance. As someone who chose the military after getting the 2 year diploma, I've always wondered how the other half lives. While I realise it's edited for the show, it's certainly eye-opening, and interesting.
That brings up a big negative that I see in Joe's method... he hires pilots right out of flight school and keeps them on the ramp for months. By the time these folks get behind the yoke again, so much time has been spent on the ground that they've probably forgotten everything they learned in school! And Joe immediately expects them to be as good as he is on a DC-3... :smt120
---------- ADS -----------
 
Will fix airplanes for food.
User avatar
Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2735
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Right seat but I own the seat

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by Rudder Bug »

I'd like to watch it. On which channel is it playing with Expressview?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
User avatar
Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2735
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Right seat but I own the seat

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by Rudder Bug »

Woops, just found the answer in the title of the thread!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
murman
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:23 pm

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by murman »

Joe is a power freek! :prayer: It is a wonder he can get anyone to work for him or to stay for any length of time.
---------- ADS -----------
 
BeechjetYKZ
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:01 pm
Location: YKZ/YYZ

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by BeechjetYKZ »

How much does "Kelly" in the cargo department smoke that she has emphysema at her age (she can't be more than 35-40)?

The dog shitting in the DC-3 was both nasty and hilarious at the same time. The poor kid was trying to clean it up with styrofoam cups. :shock:

Edited for poor taste.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Nothing cleans a dirty plane like 100LL!
User avatar
metal
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:12 am
Location: Winnipeg MB

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by metal »

Kelly said she smokes 2+ packs a day, and that was Joes son getting the ultrasound with his gf/wife?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
raven54
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:14 am
Location: a dumpster

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by raven54 »

I think YKZ is a piss poor judge of age! But it may help with the ladies!
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 6618
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:53 am
Location: A couple of meters away from others.

Post by Beefitarian »

crooked timber wrote:
Beefitarian wrote:
canwhitewolf wrote:ice pilots on line

watch here

http://www.history.ca/video/default.aspx
Thanks. I wonder if season 1 is somewhere online?
just scroll down and click on the "Ice Pilots NWT" tab on the left side of the screen. this will give you access to seasons 1 and 2 which you can expand to watch all episodes
Thanks CT.
---------- ADS -----------
 
warbirdpilot7
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by warbirdpilot7 »

Human Factor wrote:
TheCheez wrote:I liked yesterday's episode too. The hunt for the 215 was fun to watch and I'm liking seeing the rampies get their first FO chance. As someone who chose the military after getting the 2 year diploma, I've always wondered how the other half lives. While I realise it's edited for the show, it's certainly eye-opening, and interesting.
That brings up a big negative that I see in Joe's method... he hires pilots right out of flight school and keeps them on the ramp for months. By the time these folks get behind the yoke again, so much time has been spent on the ground that they've probably forgotten everything they learned in school! And Joe immediately expects them to be as good as he is on a DC-3... :smt120
I wonder how many of them have tailwheel time? Or tailwheel time on a big multi like the 3 or the 46? Not much....
---------- ADS -----------
 
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 10430
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 6:40 am
Location: CYSH
Contact:

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by Hedley »

I wonder how many of them have tailwheel time? Or tailwheel time on a big multi like the 3 or the 46?
I can't imagine anyone heading up north to ramp for Buffalo unless they first get some dual on a single-engine taildragger, and then after they master that, some dual on a Beech 18 or something similar.

I can't imagine a -3 or -46 being your first taildragger. Insane.

Edit - typo fixed!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by Hedley on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8132
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
Location: Winterfell...

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by iflyforpie »

Hedley wrote:
I wonder how many of them have tailwheel time? Or tailwheel time on a big multi like the 3 or the 46?
I can't imagine anyone heading up north to ramp for Buffalo unless they first get some dual on a single-engine taildragger, and then after they master that, some dual on a Beech 18 or something similar.

I can't imagine a -3 or -4 or -46 being your first taildragger. Insane.
WIth a captain right there and a tail wheel lock? Not as twitchy as a smaller plane either.

Though if you can make a -4 a taildragger, then you're either a really crack pilot or those palettes need to move forward... :wink:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
warbirdpilot7
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by warbirdpilot7 »

iflyforpie wrote:
Hedley wrote:
I wonder how many of them have tailwheel time? Or tailwheel time on a big multi like the 3 or the 46?
I can't imagine anyone heading up north to ramp for Buffalo unless they first get some dual on a single-engine taildragger, and then after they master that, some dual on a Beech 18 or something similar.

I can't imagine a -3 or -4 or -46 being your first taildragger. Insane.
WIth a captain right there and a tail wheel lock? Not as twitchy as a smaller plane either.

Though if you can make a -4 a taildragger, then you're either a really crack pilot or those palettes need to move forward... :wink:
If all the multi-time they have is Seminole/Seneca stuff, it's a huge jump. Remember how rudder skills in this day and age are few and far between? You would be amazed by how much un-cordinated flying I see today. If you are in the back seat, you can feel it alot more.

Locked or un-locked tailwheel, the airplane still has one :wink:
---------- ADS -----------
 
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8132
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
Location: Winterfell...

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by iflyforpie »

A friend of mine is flying the 3T for Borek. AFAIK, the only tailwheel time he had was in the same Citabria (pussycat) that I flew.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 10430
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 6:40 am
Location: CYSH
Contact:

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by Hedley »

A friend of mine is flying the 3T for Borek. AFAIK, the only tailwheel time he had was in the Citabria
Really? The Basler guys told me they have a 235hp Maule that they use as a tailwheel trainer for newbie BT-67 pilots, who have no tailwheel time. They get 50 hours in the Maule, working up to flying into shorter strips. Then they jump into the BT-67, which IMHO is a heluva jump. Maybe they've gotten rid of the Maule.
Not as twitchy as a smaller plane either
Yeah, but you can't let the heavier stuff get as much out of control, either.

Maybe I should offer tailwheel training on the Beech 18. Never thought anyone would be interested. Wouldn't be cheap.
---------- ADS -----------
 
ehbuddy
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:55 pm
Location: Halifax

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by ehbuddy »

In tonights episode they stated the DC 4 does not have fuel gauges in the cockpit. Is this specific to all DC 4s or just the ones Buffalo operates?
---------- ADS -----------
 
BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:54 pm

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by BingBong »

Anyone else notice devon smoking in the cockpit near the beginning of the episode???

And you figure after two years on type F/O scotty wouldn't need to be talked through a landing.....

Just a thought.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Adiabatic
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:54 pm
Location: Less than 60 degrees

Re: Ice Pilots of NWT Series on History Channel this Fall!

Post by Adiabatic »

ehbuddy wrote:In tonights episode they stated the DC 4 does not have fuel gauges in the cockpit. Is this specific to all DC 4s or just the ones Buffalo operates?
The DC4 that was flying has fuel gauges. Just remember how old that A/C is. We don't trust them at any rate, so we dip the fuel, being the best way to know how much fuel we have.

Typically, the DC3 or C46 is the first tail dragger we fly starting our career when we show up at Buffalo, unless you worked or got trained on a 185 or something.

AB
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”