Morgan Air

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

lowtimer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Morgan Air

Post by lowtimer »

I was just wondering if anyone had any current info on Morgan Air (positives or negatives). I have read the previous topics, but not too much current info was available. I am thinking about doing my training at the school so any comments would be great. Thanks in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

TTail
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TTail »

Although I don't have current info on Morgan (I was a student there temporarily back in my training days) I can guarantee you will be paying more than going out to Springbank for flying. At the international you will run into delays because of scheduled traffic and the practice area is further away. In addition, for circuit training you will have to go out to Beiseker or Springbank anyway, where as none of this would be an issue if you were to learn out at Sprinbank. By the way, stay away from Beiseker, there are some crazy jump pilots out there! :wink:

m.L
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by m.L »

Did a lot of flying a few years ago there. Now that Bernard is gone the only Instructer I would fly with is Phil. As to waiting the tower is very good at getting the small guys out. Springbank is a training airport and when the circuit is full and there is 8 planes at the threshold waiting? As for coming back into Calgarys class c airspace and you are ok with 120kts on final you will have no problems flying into the International. If you tell the tower your speed is going to be 70 kts? yes you will get deverted around for awhile until they can fit you in. Dont forget most of the other A/C are going to be coming in at around 160 kts so you can see why there might be alittle conflict.

My first CA instructer did fax proper circuit procedures to a jump school at Beisiker so we always went to Drumheller for circuits. You will be paying about 50 dollars more to fly out of Calgary per hour but you will get a lot of experience flying with the big boys.

TTail
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TTail »

m.L wrote:As for coming back into Calgarys class c airspace and you are ok with 120kts on final you will have no problems flying into the International. If you tell the tower your speed is going to be 70 kts? yes you will get deverted around for awhile until they can fit you in. Dont forget most of the other A/C are going to be coming in at around 160 kts so you can see why there might be alittle conflict.
Not something I would teach or train my students to do in flight training i'm sorry. Once you've gained some experience sure but a student is learning to incorporate so many tasks and concepts at once that when you teach proper techniques (such as speeds and procedure in the circuit) they should be adhering to them. The law of primacy is too distinct to ignore when learning how to fly an aircraft. The first way you learn to do something, will be the dominant way that will always remain in your mind.

m.L
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by m.L »

I agree 100%. Thats why your first solo will never be flying out of Calgary and even when you get some time under your belt there will be a instructer that can take over when the tower is telling you to keep your speed up as much as possible.

Just my two bits when you learn the game it becomes a lot easier flying into large airports. I still enjoy flying out of Calgary, it is always an eye opener.

TTail
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TTail »

m.L wrote:I still enjoy flying out of Calgary, it is always an eye opener.
I won't dispute that. Definitely much more eye candy flying into YYC as a student than out at YBW. Just felt that there was less pressure on a student staying away from there in the beginning stages.

jcooper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Morgan Air

Post by jcooper »

I did my private license training at Morgan air and absolutely loved it! although the costs were a little higher than the flying club the experience was amazing all the instructors were very helpful. Now i am starting my commercial license there and I love it. I recommend Morgan Air to anyone.

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Their ground school is a POS, worth $300. Basically copy and paste crap from web sites and a bunch of cd's from TC. Im still waiting for my CPL Letter of Recommendation from them...AVOID!

Timing is everything.
gsfromc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gsfromc »

The flight schools in Okotoks and High River are also great options if you are in the south of Calgary. Minimal to zero delays in waiting to takeoff and all your air time is productive, maybe one or two others in the circuit. Practice area very close and close enough to YYC for instrument work. I periodically rent from Okotoks, where Red Deer based Skywings runs the school. In High River I believe it is a satellite of one of the Springbank operations.

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

gsfromc wrote:The flight schools in Okotoks and High River are also great options if you are in the south of Calgary. Minimal to zero delays in waiting to takeoff and all your air time is productive, maybe one or two others in the circuit. Practice area very close and close enough to YYC for instrument work. I periodically rent from Okotoks, where Red Deer based Skywings runs the school. In High River I believe it is a satellite of one of the Springbank operations.

Close but not quite. The school in High River is Calgary Flight Training. They moved down to High River when the hangar at the international they were based out of was sold and they were essentially forced out.

floatplanepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by floatplanepilot »

Tango01 wrote:Their ground school is a POS, worth $300. Basically copy and paste crap from web sites and a bunch of cd's from TC. Im still waiting for my CPL Letter of Recommendation from them...AVOID!
I remember a post about year ago from the CFI saying they were offering you your money back but you never returned their phone call.

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

Tango01 wrote:Their ground school is a POS, worth $300. Basically copy and paste crap from web sites and a bunch of cd's from TC. Im still waiting for my CPL Letter of Recommendation from them...AVOID!
Again, Aren't you over this yet? :roll:

I don't think this has any basis as to how they are as a flight school.

I'm sure it's been changed since.

Lurch

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

shitdisturber wrote:
gsfromc wrote:The flight schools in Okotoks and High River are also great options if you are in the south of Calgary. Minimal to zero delays in waiting to takeoff and all your air time is productive, maybe one or two others in the circuit. Practice area very close and close enough to YYC for instrument work. I periodically rent from Okotoks, where Red Deer based Skywings runs the school. In High River I believe it is a satellite of one of the Springbank operations.

Close but not quite. The school in High River is Calgary Flight Training. They moved down to High River when the hangar at the international they were based out of was sold and they were essentially forced out.
Stay away from High River

I won't get into too much detail but quite a few of students have been ripped off, a lot of bills haven't been paid.

If you want more detail PM me.

Lurch

Take my love
Take my land
I don't care
I'm still free
Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

lowtimer wrote:I was just wondering if anyone had any current info on Morgan Air (positives or negatives). I have read the previous topics, but not too much current info was available. I am thinking about doing my training at the school so any comments would be great. Thanks in advance.
The CFI has an account here, PM MorganAirCFI and he can give you more detail and answer any questions.

Lurch

Take my love
Take my land
I don't care
I'm still free
Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Yes Lurch I am over being ripped off by Morgan Air, but this might prevent someone else getting screwed over with their ground school. Consumer report....

Timing is everything.
C172-B744
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by C172-B744 »

This is interesting, I did my commercial ground school through them and found it to be very informative. I did it online, I believe it is done in conjunction with Harv's Air and was generally all original material, no TC Cd's. Flying there was great too, especially training commercially as your at an big international airport.

Return to “Flight Training”