TC Wants my Logbook.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

TC Wants my Logbook.

Post by phillyfan »

Hey

Had a question regarding my personal logbook. I am a float/ski pilot. I have not been keeping a logbook since before the CAR's came out in 1996. The way I read the CAR's I only need to enter flights nessesary to prove I am current.

The second part of the question is. If they want to see it? Can I tell them to eat shit. I can't find anything in the CAR's that says I have to give them the logbook if i'm not trying to upgrade my licence or anything.

I'm not one of those TC haters. Just trying to learn what a guys rights are.
---------- ADS -----------

Go Juice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: TC Wants my Logbook.

Post by Go Juice »

If they want to see your log book and you don't want to show them for whatever reason.... Is there anyway you could lose your log book therefore being unable to show them? :)

Now I wouldn't suggest you do that, it would be wrong.... :)

A device is yet to be invented that will measure my indifference to this remark.
winds_in_flight_wtf
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by winds_in_flight_wtf »

What do you have to hide? Show them the bloody thing so they can move on....? (or something which proves you are current)

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Be careful, very, very, very careful.

Something is wrong, very, very, very wrong.

Maybe get legal advice?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

Ya it was brought up at a meeting with 4 TC inspectors. We were just shooting the shit about some other stuff and the subject of personal logbooks came up. My impression was always that I needed to be able to prove currency and nothing more. Can't I just write 3 legs to cover the 3 to/land in the last 90 days on a napkin and keep that as my logbook.
I'm not trying to hide anything. My old logbook shows I have enough time to hold a commercial licence. I can prove currency with the aircraft logbooks. Is that not enough? I really doubt that I am the only bush guy not logging every trip from "Lake A to Lake B".
It was nothing too crazy. It was just a friendly chat about the requirement.
Truth is I have better things to do then fill out my logbook at the end of the day. Trying to find the lazy guys way around it.
Maybe they will pull my ticket and I will be able to pursue my dream of driving a train.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

That is weird Philly, I have never been asked for a personal log book by anyone in over fifty years in the business.

The CAR's are clear on what is mandatory, in your case proof of recency.

And for sure you are not required to carry a personal log book.

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

At one time logs were considered personal property. Now they are a CARs requirement, granted primarily for recency and licence upgrades. I stopped recording every leg in the mid 90's in favour of logging total time for each day - 1 line entry per day. I still consider it 'personal' but keep it because of CARs and for my own record;
401.08 (1) Every applicant for, and every holder of, a flight crew permit, licence or rating shall maintain a personal log in accordance with subsection (2) and with the personnel licensing standards for the documentation of

(a) experience acquired in respect of the issuance of the flight crew permit, licence or rating; and
(amended 2001/03/01; previous version)

(b) recency.

(2) A personal log that is maintained for the purposes referred to in paragraphs (1)(a) and (b) shall contain the holder's name and the following information in respect of each flight:

(a) the date of the flight;

(b) the type of aircraft and its registration mark;

(c) the flight crew position in which the holder acted;

(d) the flight conditions with respect to day, night, VFR and IFR;

(e) in the case of a flight in a aeroplane or helicopter, the place of departure and the place of arrival;

(f) in the case of a flight in an aeroplane, all of the intermediate take-offs and landings;

(g) the flight time;

(h) in the case of a flight in a glider, the method of launch used for the flight; and

(i) in the case of a flight in a balloon, the method of inflation used for the flight.

(3) No person shall make an entry in a personal log unless the person

(a) is the holder of the log; or

(b) has been authorized to make the entry by the holder of the log.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Never mind hours logged, I can't even remember how many countries I flew in. :mrgreen:

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

Every company has to keep a record of all professional pilots times for flight limitation and duty time requirements. If you fly for any charter company your time is recorded by the flight hour even if you don't. I keep up my personal log book with an annual entry taken from the company records at the end of each year. Is that even legal?
Bob

Bulawrench
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Bulawrench »

Does the doctor that gives you a medical ask to see your logbook ?

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

What do you have to hide? Show them the bloody thing so they can move on....? (or something which proves you are current)
The rationale of the Gestapo or the Department of Transport.

This is about one's rights. You dont concede your rights for convenience. And civil rights dont disappear all at once..a little a time.

What bothers me about this and other things that happen face to face with TC, is that they ask very nicely...to give up your rights on this or that... And if you refuse they turn on you like a pact of pitbulls on a porkchop.

If it is required to surrender it, then so be it. If not, tell anyone asking to pound sand.
I dont really know the answer as to what goes on in Canada.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
burhead1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by burhead1 »

Cat Driver wrote:That is weird Philly, I have never been asked for a personal log book by anyone in over fifty years in the business.

I was asked to see my log book, I landed in Sudbury to drop a off a friend, i tried to walk back out to the plane to locked doors that said "see commissioner"
Well the commissioner drilled me, wanted lic medical, and log book he went behind the counter and was there for 10 min or so. Came back out and said thank you and opened the door.

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

burhead1 wrote: Well the commissioner drilled me, wanted lic medical, and log book he went behind the counter and was there for 10 min or so. Came back out and said thank you and opened the door.
Ha! I wonder how many people actually carry their logbook with them, assuming they even have one of course. I certainly don't fly with my log book. I work on rotation overseas and I don't risk bringing my logbook with me, it stays at home on my book shelf. I make copies should the customer need to see it, which they do from time to time to prove I have the experience to fly their people around. But this is a contractual agreement, not a legal requirement.

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

Ask to see their logbook! If they pull it out you pull out a napkin and say "so thats what its suppose to look like" 8)

ArcticKat
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ArcticKat »

phillyfan wrote: It was nothing too crazy. It was just a friendly chat about the requirement.
So they don't actually "want" your logbook like the thread title states?

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

They have not formally asked. They just told me they might and that they can. I've been around aviation long enough to know. Don't do shit, unless it's asked for in writing.
I've never been asked during my medical. I write 200hrs in the last 12mths, 500hrs total. Been writing that since the early 90's.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

I don't know of any CAR that states that a pilot must surrender his logbooks to Transport. Does anyone? Is it in the Aeronautics Act, or buried somewhere else weird?

Transport is free to lay a charge against any pilot, that they have contravened the various regulations with respect to the 5 year rule, the 6 month pax carrying rule, etc.

Then you fax a request for review to the Tribunal, and show up with a certified true copy of your logbook, with the unnecessary entries blacked out - a lawyer taught me that trick. Also, if you file an Access to Information request, if it ever comes back, most if it will be blacked out. So, you might as well do the same thing.

At the Tribunal, you don't have to bring your logbook, if you have other sources of information - journey log, daily flight sheets, etc - which support your claim that you have not contravened any of the various recency/currency/pax carrying/6-6-6 requirements.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Once again why would TC ask for your personal log book?

It is not in the list of documents they have the right to ask for.

If they are being that anal there has to be some reason.

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

I can't find anything in the CAR's that says I have to give them the logbook if i'm not trying to upgrade my licence or anything.
Do you own a dog? :wink:

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

As an aside, it's actually recommended NOT to fly with your logbook (or the aircraft maintenance logs, either) - if you crash and burn the TSB will be better served if the logs are available and legible.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “General Comments”