Colour Blind

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Colour Blind

Post by Adam Oke »

I did a quick search and didn't come up with what I need.

A buddy of mine went for his Cat 1 medical and was informed he was colour blind. I understand you can still get your Cat 1, and work Day VFR if there is a restriction in place etc etc. However I would like to know the process he is about to go though and how to get the restriction (if applied) lifted.

My understanding is the Doc is sending results off to Transport to see what they have to say. How will it proceed from here? Will Transport come back and slap a restriction on right away or will they give opportunity for a light test before any restriction is applied?
---------- ADS -----------

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
A Regulator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Colour Blind

Post by A Regulator »

Well he will not be able to fly for a 705 operation because you must do landings by day and by night not like 703 where you do not have to. But I would call them and ask to speak with a GA Inspector.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

What degree is his condition? This has come up on the boards a few times. I have red/green colour deficiency and while this was an immediate disqualifier from military service for me, I have still been able to maintain a Cat 1 medical with NO restrictions. An opthomologist with an understanding of aviation requirements would be a good place to start as opposed to a general aviation medical examiner. There are additional tests that can and will be done to obtain the Cat 1. However, if it is a complete lack of colour spectrum or severe red/green then I am afraid he may be restricted to day vfr.

metal
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by metal »

Tell him to try getting the D15 Farnsworth test done. I can't pass the test with the Ishihara plates, but can get perfect on the D15 and hold an unrestricted class 1 medical.

EDIT: Like above, I have a slight red/green.

jump154
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jump154 »

metal wrote:Tell him to try getting the D15 Farnsworth test done. I can't pass the test with the Ishihara plates, but can get perfect on the D15 and hold an unrestricted class 1 medical.

Me too. Mine was a Cat 3 medical, but it came through with a daytime only restriction, and a letter outlining my options. Transport did nothing from then on (not that I expected them to). I went to my local eye Dr, did the Farnsworth test and got a letter stating that I passed it and was indicated normal. Sent that letter to transport, cc my Aviation Doc, and recieved a new medical cert with no restrictions.

as above, I cannot do the ishihara - especially under artificial light.

prop2jet
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by prop2jet »

The simple solution is to get a lantern test done. I had the same issue myself on my first CAT 1 medical. The examiner had the sense to send me to an ophthamologist to get the test done. I passed the test without any difficulty and have an unrestricted CAT 1 medical. To this day I don't even do the colour test because the results of the Lantern Test are on file.

matrix
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by matrix »

metal wrote:Tell him to try getting the D15 Farnsworth test done. I can't pass the test with the Ishihara plates, but can get perfect on the D15 and hold an unrestricted class 1 medical.

Same thing here. I'm hopeless at the Ishihara plates. Failed the lantern test as well. Had no problem with the D15 test though.

farmboy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by farmboy »

Same eye deal here. I pass the D-15 but not the plates. My eye doc told me its quite common for males to get screened out by the plate test but then go out and be able to pass the D-15.

Cdnpilot77, at what stage were you at when the forces disqualified you for being color deficient? was it at their aircrew medical selection in Trenton or by a recruiter?

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Colour Blind

Post by TG »

And that's why Mark Zuckerberg set up Facebook with blue as its main color.
Like some of you, he is red/green color blind.

Boy, I learn something new everyday :smt003

ticasse
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ticasse »

Same here. It's really simple just do the D15 and you are good to go.

I don't thin D15 is approved with FAA though....

bbb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bbb »

Actually, being colour-blind, you can hold a Cat 1 medical, restricted, and still fly for anyone (702, 703, 704, 705- Being an Instructor however, you would not be able to teach the night portion of a Night Rating, only instruction at night with a student who already holds a Night Rating). How, you ask?

If you did not complete a night rating as part of your CPL training, and hold a restricted CPL - Daylight Flying only - you will need to complete a Night Rating.

Again, how you ask? Easy. The dual portion is a no-brainer, because you are not PIC, the Instructor is. The solo portion you will need to fly dual to an uncontrolled airport, and conduct your solo take-offs and landings there. Before commencing that, you will need to get approval from Transport, and a Conditions letter, which will then form part of your aviation document.

Once you've completed the training for the Night Rating, you then send back in your paperwork to remove the Day restriction from your CPL.

You will then receive another restricted CPL, only this time, its much less restrictive for the real world. The restriction will read "Valid Daylight Only, 2-way radio required at Controlled airports, Subject to Letter dated YYY-MM-DD"

The Medical will read "License Restricted Subject to Letter Dated YYY-MM-DD"

The mentioned letter is an official document and must be carried with your aviation documents anytime you are exercising the privileges of your license. Some state that you must show it to your Aviation Medical Examiner each time you go for your medical. The letter states that your CPL is endorsed for night flying with the following conditions:
1. Unrestricted Daylight flying;
2. You must be accompanied by another pilot who holds an unrestricted, medically valid pilot license with the appropriate category, class and type rating;
3. The accompanying pilot must be informed of your condition;
4. The aircraft must be equipped with dual controls; and
5. You must have informed your employer of the above conditions.

So, to summerize, you can fly at night as PIC provided you are accompanied by another qualified pilot. Joe Blow in his private Cherokee or Aerostar would need to have a buddy who is current and qualified with him,and said buddy would have to know about Joe's condition. Joe Blow working for ABC Charters would need to have told the Company about his restrictions when they hired him, and he would have to fly 2-crew at night (QUALIFIED 2 crew, the other pilot would have to either be another current qualified captain or a current qualified co-pilot from the Company, and the Company would have to be approved to operate as 2 crew on whichever aircraft Joe Blow was flying. Joe by the way could be trained, qualified, and act as either co-pilot or captain.)

This is assuming your friend is actually colour blind and can't pass any of the tests. So tell your friend it can be done, start with the alternative tests, then proceed with the restriction above.

"oh, I have slipped.." into what, we're not sure
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

farmboy wrote:Same eye deal here. I pass the D-15 but not the plates. My eye doc told me its quite common for males to get screened out by the plate test but then go out and be able to pass the D-15.

Cdnpilot77, at what stage were you at when the forces disqualified you for being color deficient? was it at their aircrew medical selection in Trenton or by a recruiter?

I was enrolled in a U.S college to enter the AFROTC program. I was asked to prove my medical validity prior to acceptance into the AFROTC program which included a full eye exam. When I received the results, I called the commander of the AFROTC program that I was to attend and he told me straight out that i could not be considered for entry in the pilot pool with the colour deficiency. He offered to allow me to speak with a military medical examiner which I accepted for verification and help understanding exactly what the opthamologist said. After a lengthy conversation and a fairly in depth analysis of everything my opthamologist wrote, he said flat out "sorry son, but this is an immediate disqualifier". I immediately visited a canadian recruiting station, spoke with a recruiter and he told me the exact same thing for canadian military.

Now, I understand that some things with regards to vision have been softened, but I cant speak to which. AuxBatOn would be a better guy to ask about that.

mightymoose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mightymoose »

hey bbb do you have that conditions letter attatched to your license?

Return to “General Comments”