Flying Wild Alaska

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Slats
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:35 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by Slats »

The tree line has nothing to do with the arctic circle. Hence you could be above the tree line in northern Manitoba yet below it in, NWT, YT, Alaska.
---------- ADS -----------
 
jet a1
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 12:35 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by jet a1 »

i think he was talking about the size of the trees around the cabin, not the fact that there were trees above the arctic circle. here in Inuvik trees come in many shapes and sizes, including ones that look similar the the trees around the couple's cabin.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Slats
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:35 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by Slats »

fish4life wrote:It seems like they are running the 207 IFR, I'm assuming in the US they don't have the rules where only a pt-6 can run a single engine aircraft IFR commercially?
When did it show them running the 207 IFR?
nightguy wrote:You guys have to be kidding me... This is the worst show in the history of TV. Am I the only one who thinks it makes pilots look stupid? The public watches shows like this and thinks this is real.
In what ways does it make pilots look stupid?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Dr. Mcillicuddy
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:41 am

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by Dr. Mcillicuddy »

Cause most are. :smt040
---------- ADS -----------
 
catan man
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:49 pm
Location: the deep south

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by catan man »

Dr. Mcillicuddy wrote:Cause most are. :smt040
HAAAA!!!
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 6618
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:53 am
Location: A couple of meters away from others.

Post by Beefitarian »

jet a1 wrote:i think he was talking about the size of the trees around the cabin, not the fact that there were trees above the arctic circle. here in Inuvik trees come in many shapes and sizes, including ones that look similar the the trees around the couple's cabin.
Wouldn't it be the same as the Prairies? You don't see trees where there isn't a creek unless they are near a farm house where people planted then watered them. Suddenly there's big trees where they would never be without human intervention.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Darkwing Duck
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:30 am

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by Darkwing Duck »

Slats wrote:The tree line has nothing to do with the arctic circle. Hence you could be above the tree line in northern Manitoba yet below it in, NWT, YT, Alaska.

HUH???? :? What, pray tell, are you yabbering about?
jet a1 wrote:i think he was talking about the size of the trees around the cabin, not the fact that there were trees above the arctic circle. here in Inuvik trees come in many shapes and sizes, including ones that look similar the the trees around the couple's cabin.
You got it Jet A-1. I know there are trees above the arctic circle, my question was, Slats, they just looked a little bigger then the ones I saw the few times I have been to Inuvik.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Kowalski: Sir, we may be out of fuel.
Skipper: What makes you think that?
Kowalski: We've lost engine one, and engine two is no longer on fire.
User avatar
burhead1
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: kinda north
Contact:

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by burhead1 »

Tune in dudes and she is in a swimsuit :smt040
---------- ADS -----------
 
murman
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:23 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by murman »

I really don't know why everybody is going "ga ga" about this girl, but to each his own.

Generally, I am finding the show pretty hoaky and with each new episode, it is making me appreciate NOT living in that part of the world more and more. :?
---------- ADS -----------
 
DHCdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by DHCdriver »

I personally love the show, sure somethings are hoaky but what isn't nowadays on tv. Ariel, you gotta love her, she so bubbly,always happy,never bitching and complaining. Great show.

p.s. Could someone talk about that 406 ? Don't know anything about it. Can't say I recognize that type?

DHCdriver
---------- ADS -----------
 
DHCdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by DHCdriver »

I'm pretty sure they said 406 and not a 404. I could be mistaken, that is why I'm asking? :?:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5166
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:26 pm
Location: On Borrowed Wings

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by Rowdy »

Darkwing Duck wrote: My thought exactly. And the trees, are they not a little too tall for being north of the Arctic Circle. I have only been past the line a couple times in the NWT and never in Alaska? The trees I saw were a little short compared to those ones on the show.

:roll:
\

Remember.. the tree-line is not exactly straight.. and doesnt run perfectly parrallel to any of the lines.. Heres a good representation.

Image
---------- ADS -----------
 
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2973
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:17 pm
Location: west to east and west again

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by rigpiggy »

the reim cessna F406 is basically the 404 body with the wings/powerplant of the 425. air st pierre used to have one, and they are used in the UK for coastwatch
---------- ADS -----------
 
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4819
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
Location: YYC 230 degree radial at about 10 DME

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by co-joe »

I was also wondering about that "406". Looked like a 425 but with square windows like a Beech 99?

How about the gravel bar landing in the 180 where he lands in what looks like a foot of water? Looked a little nuts to me.
---------- ADS -----------
 
flyinhigh
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3147
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:42 pm
Location: my couch

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by flyinhigh »

anyone else find it funny that the chick Ariel is one of the contestants that appeared twice the show Whipout, couple times in Hanna Montana, as well as recent appearances on talk shows. I would say that because of who she is has alot to do with why her Dad is now on TV.

Just to change the subject abit, also don't ask me how I know that. hahaha :smt040
---------- ADS -----------
 
cooty monster
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:02 am

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by cooty monster »

I never realized that, it is pretty funny.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Northern Flyer
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:40 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by Northern Flyer »

I must say, I really like this show. Ya it's reality TV, but if you can look past the fact that it's over dramatized, it's really a decent show. The country these guys are flying in is just beautiful. Flying off strip is the most challenging and dangerous flying IMHO that a civilian pilot can do. I had the pleasure of flying off strip for years, and loved every minute of it.

You will come across all sorts of personalities while flying, and flying in the north takes a special kind of person. I think that saying "this show makes pilots look stupid" is pretty small minded. Not everyones flying career is cut from the same cloth. Some of us choose to make a life out of bush flying, and have no interest in an airline career. It can be a challenging and rewarding path for those who choose it and are successful. This doesn't make a person stupid.

I look forward to the next episode.
---------- ADS -----------
 
DHCdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by DHCdriver »

Northern Flyer wrote:I must say, I really like this show. Ya it's reality TV, but if you can look past the fact that it's over dramatized, it's really a decent show. The country these guys are flying in is just beautiful. Flying off strip is the most challenging and dangerous flying IMHO that a civilian pilot can do. I had the pleasure of flying off strip for years, and loved every minute of it.

You will come across all sorts of personalities while flying, and flying in the north takes a special kind of person. I think that saying "this show makes pilots look stupid" is pretty small minded. Not everyones flying career is cut from the same cloth. Some of us choose to make a life out of bush flying, and have no interest in an airline career. It can be a challenging and rewarding path for those who choose it and are successful. This doesn't make a person stupid.

I look forward to the next episode.
Well said, I've been lucky to have been involved in both worlds, and I have to say I'll never forget my 12 years flying the "Bush". Only left because I couldn't refuse the job I'm presently at right now. I would return in a heartbeat. Happy Flying fellow bush drivers.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2967
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:59 pm
Location: LA

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by Nark »

Northern Flyer wrote:I must say, I really like this show. Ya it's reality TV, but if you can look past the fact that it's over dramatized, it's really a decent show. The country these guys are flying in is just beautiful. Flying off strip is the most challenging and dangerous flying IMHO that a civilian pilot can do. I had the pleasure of flying off strip for years, and loved every minute of it.

You will come across all sorts of personalities while flying, and flying in the north takes a special kind of person. I think that saying "this show makes pilots look stupid" is pretty small minded. Not everyones flying career is cut from the same cloth. Some of us choose to make a life out of bush flying, and have no interest in an airline career. It can be a challenging and rewarding path for those who choose it and are successful. This doesn't make a person stupid.

I look forward to the next episode.
Extremely well said.
I left that exact area in January to pursue another part of my career, and it'll always have a special place in my heart.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
flyinhigh
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3147
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:42 pm
Location: my couch

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by flyinhigh »

Oh man I am jealous,

The only off strip bush flying I got was from isabelle in pikangikum :smt040
---------- ADS -----------
 
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4819
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
Location: YYC 230 degree radial at about 10 DME

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by co-joe »

Hanah Montana? Seriously? I've never watched that show before either, but you know may have flipped there and lingered longer than a standard blink... but I didn't inhale.
---------- ADS -----------
 
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2973
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:17 pm
Location: west to east and west again

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by rigpiggy »

watching Ariel take flying lessons was painful, you could see the look of horror on John's face. Thank God I never instructed, there would be a few more unmarked graves
---------- ADS -----------
 
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4819
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
Location: YYC 230 degree radial at about 10 DME

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by co-joe »

Can anyone with offstrip experience comment on the water landings Mr Tweto does in his 180? He comes in and seems to plant it right in the river and absolutely soakes his bird on landing.Then on departure is airborne at least a few feet before the water. Ok he's much lighter on departure but wow!
---------- ADS -----------
 
gustind
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 8:16 am
Location: Researching
Contact:

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by gustind »

> So which one is the altimeter?

> Uuuhhhh this one (points to heading indicator)

> No thats the heading indicator

> (Points to everything else)

> You're pointing at everything except the altimeter

(Pan to ground view of Ariel with her talking) "There are lots of those turning dialy things in the plane its kind of weird cause you gotta look at those and outside at the same time"
---------- ADS -----------
 
Daniel Gustin
Online Ground School
ArcticKat
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:38 am

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by ArcticKat »

rigpiggy wrote:watching Ariel take flying lessons was painful, you could see the look of horror on John's face. Thank God I never instructed, there would be a few more unmarked graves
Watching her at all is painful. I'm just counting on the editing department making her look like such a bimbo. Deep down in my heart I must believe she's actually a smart girl, otherwise I would never be able to watch the show. The crush she has on Ponts couldn't be more obvious, but I believe he is getting a little disillusioned by her lack of.....
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”