Alkan Air

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

i dream of yukon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Alkan Air

Post by i dream of yukon »

Looking to head north in the next year or so. This company really interests me and so does living in Whitehorse. I am wondering about the Otter, is there any turnover on that machine or do they normally move up another pilot. Are pilots usually home every night or do the planes get based in other places. What about general work conditions, I've heard nothing but good about this place. I am looking for that one last move in my career, a place to actually call home.
---------- ADS -----------

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Alkan Air

Post by Mr. North »

I talked to the CP a short while ago and was told that they just hired a couple of guys over Christmas. They may have something open up in the spring but from what I understand everyone likes working there and tends to hang around. Both the single and twin otters seem to be reserved for the most senior guys who tend to hang on to their positions. From what I understand there is a fair amount of physical work but your home most nights. I have a couple friends living in Whitehorse and I hear it's quite the place in the summer and a real winter wonderland for the remaining ten months of the year!

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by The Old Fogducker »

I'll say it again .... Whitehorse is a fabulous place, and the Yukon is a treasure. I really enjoyed my almost 3 years working there flying light aircraft into really interesting, challenging areas, and would love to go back again.

If you can get on with a company there, make the most of the unique experience that you'll treasure for the rest of your life.

HS748 will get a knock on the door someday ... and then I'll sponge off him for awhile.

Best of luck with working something out.

The Old Fogducker

Marinth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Marinth »

Does Alkan Air offer rotational positions, or are you living up in Whitehorse full time?

Independence
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Independence »

Don't believe they do rotation.

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

No one works rotations, but in general everyone who works there likes The Yukon lifestyle. Whitehorse is a great town, and lots to do year round. Also daily flights to all the major centers, so pretty well connected city. Schedule is great, and most people take extended holidays over the winter with summers being particularly busy with the extra bush flying and charters. There's another thread which has a good overall post to take a look at as well.

Bush drivers are home the vast majority of the time over winter, but spend some time over summer at either a satellite base in Mayo, or sometimes at camps. Either way, pretty sweet setup. King air guys are home every night with the exception of chaters or overnight medevacs.

One of the entry level positions is F.O on the Twin Otter. Great way to see some of the strips, learn the lay of the land and get a firm grounding before being fired of in the single engine machines. Capt on the twin is generally reserved for the more experienced bush drivers, and see's virtually no movement.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Last edited by awitzke on Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scoutyjo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by scoutyjo »

Has anybody heard back yet??

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”