Resumes and Cover Letters Redux

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

WileyCoyote
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Resumes and Cover Letters Redux

Post by WileyCoyote »

Also, OpenOffice allows you to export your document as a .pdf. (And its free)
---------- ADS -----------

WileyCoyote
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WileyCoyote »

Another question I had when looking for an entry level job was should I include other related skills? For example, I grew up doing farm work and construction, and fixing anything with an engine. I have a lot of skills unrelated to flying that would probably look great for a float job. How should I include these on my resume?

Speedbrakes
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Speedbrakes »

Hi all,

This is a great thread!

Couple questions. Is it a good idea to mention the types of aircraft you've flown? I've got time on the DH7 and the DH6 and a few different other light aircraft.

Also I don't have my atpl yet but I've written the exams and now that I have a type rating on the DH7 my atpl is technically frozen so could I say "Frozen ATPL" instead of saying "ATPL Exams Written"? I only ask because from my experience having a "frozen atpl" isn't too common in Canada.

Thanks for the feedback,

Cheers,
Speedbrakes

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

If I'm applying for a ramp to pilot position would it be better to send my "pilot" resume that lists all my hours, or send my "generic" resume that lists the ramp jobs that I've had in detail but doesn't include my hours or anything?

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I stole this from Time and I think there is some really good stuff in here, even though some of it is company-client not just resume-interview:

"Career Strategies
10 Ways You Should Never Describe Yourself To A Potential Client or Employer
When other people use these words to describe your talents, it's OK. When you do it, you just sound like a pompous jerk.
By Jeff Haden | June 12, 2012 | 1

Picture this: You meet someone new. “What do you do?” he asks.

“I’m an architect,” you say.

“Oh, really?” he answers. “Have you designed any buildings I’ve seen?”

“Maybe,” you reply. “We did the new library at the university…”

“Oh wow,” he says. “I’ve seen it. That’s a beautiful building…”

And you’re off. Maybe he’s a potential client, maybe not… but either way you’ve made a great impression.

You sound awesome.

Now picture this: You meet someone new. “What do you do?” he asks.

“I’m a passionate, innovative, dynamic provider of architectural services who uses a collaborative approach to create and deliver outstanding customer experiences.”

And he’s off, never to be seen again… because you sound like a pompous ass.

Do you–whether on your website, or more likely on social media accounts–describe yourself differently than you do in person?

Do you use hacky clichés and overblown superlatives and breathless adjectives?

Do you write things about yourself you would never have the nerve to actually say?

If so, it’s time for a change.

(MORE: How Much Does the Big Boss Really Matter? A Partial Defense of Jamie Dimon)

Here are some words that are great when used by other people to describe you, but you should never use to describe yourself:

“Motivated.”

Check out Chris Rock’s response (not safe for work or the politically correct) to people who say they take care of their kids. Then substitute the word “motivated.” Never take credit for things you are supposed to do–or be.

“Authority.”

If you have to say you’re an authority, you aren’t. Show your expertise instead. “Presenter at SXSW” or “Delivered TED Talk at Long Beach 2010″ indicates a level of authority. Unless you can prove it, “social media marketing authority” just means you spend a ton of time on Twitter.

“Global provider.”

The vast majority of businesses can sell goods or services worldwide; the ones that can’t–like restaurants–are obvious. (See?) Only use “global provider” if that capability is not assumed or obvious; otherwise you just sound like a really small company trying to appear really big.

“Innovative.”

Most companies claim to be innovative. Most people claim to be innovative. Most are not. (I’m not.) That’s okay, because innovation isn’t a requirement for success.

If you are innovative, don’t say it. Prove it. Describe the products you’ve developed. Describe the processes you’ve modified. Give us something real so your innovation is unspoken but evident… which is always the best kind of evident to be.

“Creative.”

See particular words often enough and they no longer make an impact. “Creative” is one of them. (Go to LinkedIn and check out some profiles; “creative” will appear in the majority.)

“Creative” is just one example. Others include extensive, effective, proven, dynamic, influential, team player, collaborative… some of those terms truly may describe you, but since they’re also being used to describe everyone else they’ve lost their impact.

(MORE: Bubba Watson helps to re-energize golf)

“Curator.”

Museums have curators. Libraries have curators. Tweeting links to stuff you find interesting doesn’t make you a curator… or an authority or a guru.

“Passionate.”

Say you’re incredibly passionate about incorporating an elegant design aesthetic in everyday objects and–to me at least–you sound a little scary. Same if you’re passionate about developing long-term customer solutions. Try focus, concentration, or specialization instead. Save the passion for your loved one.

“Unique.”

Fingerprints are unique. Snowflakes are unique. You are unique–but your business probably isn’t. Don’t pretend to be, because customers don’t care about unique; they care about “better.” Show how you’re better than the competition and in the minds of customers you will be unique.

”Guru.”

People who try to be clever for the sake of being clever are anything but. Don’t be a self-proclaimed ninja, sage, connoisseur, guerilla, wonk, egghead… it’s awesome when your customers affectionately describe you in that way, but when you do it it’s apparent you’re trying way too hard.

“Incredibly…”

Check out some random bios and you’ll find plenty of further-modified descriptors: “Incredibly passionate,” “profoundly insightful,” “extremely captivating…” isn’t it enough to be insightful or captivating? Do you have to be incredibly passionate?

If you must use over-the-top adjectives to describe yourself, at least spare us the further modification. Trust us; we already get it.

Jeff Haden learned much of what he knows about business and technology as he worked his way up in the manufacturing industry. Everything else he picks up from ghostwriting books for some of the smartest leaders he knows in business. @jeff_haden

Read more: http://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/10-ways-y ... z1xcurvCtA"

cbty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cbty »

Others say that you should write Object : Flight Crew Position, which is the opposite of what someone said above (I don't know which one is the right step), then they say you should place just your aviation jobs and aviation education. Anything elese is not really important.

Last edited by cbty on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MCI
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MCI »

What is the etiquette for including international references? For example, I lived in Europe for the last 3 years and my most recent references have international phone numbers. Would it be acceptable to include these in my resume or should I find more local references? What about US numbers?

Thanks.

tuskegee0147
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tuskegee0147 »

fresh out of university i was told by a technical writer that including gaps or dormant/ idle dates in your resume isn't good in any way(recruiters hate idleness)fill up all the dates to make sure you had no idle time i.e if you weren't working, you were schooling or doing some voluntary work.i believe employers don't like to see dates that a potential employee was idle.
Google is your best friend on this one, as they are a lot of templates to choose from ranging from the 250 hr pilot to the 10000hr captain. i believe a university degree is also very important in a resume as i was told that employers like to see an overachiever so to speak.At the end of the day its what works best for you but one thing i know is if you have a really good resume you get more calls and replies.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

It's quite true, I spent some time helping out a friend who had an employment agency. We graded the resumes A - F and started calling people at the A pile. The Fs were just tossed. They were graded on content, gaps, references, education, suitability and literacy (spelling, grammar and formats, etc). Any gaps were flagged and investigated. Education appropriate to the position, ie degrees for management and secretarial school for the clerks. Generally speaking. I would not have my current job without my degree, but then, I don't actually use it except for how it taught me to think and analyse but the subject matter is obsolete, largely. The guy I work for does not have a degree, so there you go.

To answer the previous poster, very late, sorry, the answer is yes. Credibility demands contacts as a serious, better employer will check.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

I was recently cleaning out my deleted box and came across a resume that had been e-mailed to me. It had most of the things in it that XSbank said not to do. The most egregious was the HR baffle gab like

To my next chief pilot,
My name is A Newbie and over the past year and a half I have been an Instructor at the XYZ flight school. I am a graduate of the ABC College program and it was there, I was introduced to and educated on an industry that has captured my imagination since childhood. To be a successful student within this program, due to the time constraints and its intensive nature, a student must exercise organization, professionalism, and most importantly safety-oriented decision making. With this philosophy I managed to be the first person among my classmates to complete my MIFR Rating. I also received the top pilot award from ABC College. I continue to apply this same work ethic which is why I am now the youngest Class 2 supervising Multi/IFR instructor working at the flying school.

It goes on for another half page of meaningless platitudes.

However that was not what got it immediately sent to the trash. What caused the instant rejection was the fact that this persons first reference was from an individual widely recognized as an idiot.

Aviation is a small business and people (and organizations) soon get known and get a reputation. There are a few names that would get pretty much guarantee an interview and of course others like the one in question that are poison.

The same goes for operators. I don't care if you have Sully Sullinberger as your reference, if you worked for Toronto sky dive flying their "wide body C 182's", you won't get hired. Don't take the easy way and buy your job, in the long run it will often hurt you.

So work hard to impress those pilots that seem to be the ones that get listened to, or who you hear the respectful comments. Their favorable comments when contacted on the reference check are pure gold.

To add to XSbanks excellent advice

My 02 cents for lower time pilots.

Keep to one page, round all your time down to the nearest 5 hours, instead of saying you have 17.6 hrs of MEIFR say you 15, lose the say nothing platitudes, and finish with a statement that you understand you are still a wannabe and will work hard, keep your eyes and ears wide open and your mouth shut.

Finally think long and hard about who would be your best reference.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

If you have to show your face, don't have your father to bring the resume for you, it is not really winner.

B52
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by B52 »

Congrats on the great posts.
This has got to be some of the best advice
ever posted on Avcanada.

cbty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cbty »

Indeed great amount of useful data. Another place you can find a huge amoung of suggestions and tips about the best way to create a resume, cover letter or to get interview tips is here

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I recently worked with one of the posters on this forum (hello!) and I may have been a bit discouraging. As I have not been doing this for a while, I lost sight of...

Xsbank's Number One Rule of Job Hunting: "Always apply for the job that you want, not just the jobs that you "think" you are qualified for."

So go get 'em!!!

Only the guy you are applying to can say if you are not the right candidate. Really.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Most of the pilots in my circles were getting iPads to do pretty much everything on. If you are responsible for hiring, would you appreciate getting an application with a cover letter and a resume in an email? Do you still like the email cover and the fancy formatted .doc or PDF attachment better? If you received a resume in an email, I mean a good one, not a cobbled thing like some of the posts you might see on here, but a properly vetted, readable email (I'm sure you would just hit 'Delete' if you get a sloppy one) would that be easier for you to do your job or would you be annoyed?

Let me know if that's a good idea, or not?

"What's it doing now?"
awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Last edited by awitzke on Mon May 11, 2015 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

The consensus seems to be no, bad idea.

PDF seems to be the format of choice.

"What's it doing now?"
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

xsbank wrote:PDF seems to be the format of choice.
This x1000

Word files can open a can of worms when it comes to formatting and whether or not HR has also downloaded the fancy font you chose. Also on the subject of fonts, if you have more than two it will look like you just copied and pasted parts of other people's resumes. More than three and it starts to look like a ransom note.

Just a heads up as things can move pretty fast and competition will be stiff.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

One thing you can do to show to a future employer that you are ambitious and focussed is to write your exams as soon as you can: IATRA, SARON etc etc.

Its very useful (you might save a life!) to get trained in CPR and first aid. Looks good on your resume. The certification expires so plan to renew it. Don't bother doing any courses that you will get from an employer, like Dangerous Goods...

Volunteer if you can - if you are laid off, stay out of the bar and go help out someone in your community. Then make sure you put it on your resume.

As far as night time goes, which is sometimes a real bugger to get, I still think it makes sense to wait, to see if you will get the time you need operationally before you go out and blow the budget on buying it.

Float flying will begin in a month. Or, at least the hiring will begin in a month. The winter may feel long but companies are already planning next year. Are you ready?

"What's it doing now?"
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

When you write your resume and cover, email it to yourself and open it and see if the formatting works. I had to get a new computer, you all know how disruptive that can be, all the software is new and doesn't seem to be as compatible with the various earlier versions that are out there and I've had some interesting results.

PDFs seem to be successful but are not as easy to edit.

"What's it doing now?"

Return to “Employment Forum”