Photography Questions and Tips

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Photography Questions and Tips

Post by all_ramped_up »

Rowdy wrote:So.. it's time for a good telephoto zoom. I'm stuck between the canon 70-200f2.8 and the f4L with IS. Anyone care to comment? Wish I could afford the 2.8L IS II.... but thats some serious coin and some serious heft..
f4L IS would be the choice for me. unless you're doing a lot of action in lowlight, the extra stop of aperture won't be worth the additional coin. it's lighter and sharp as a tack. :)
---------- ADS -----------

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Old Dog Flying wrote:I`ve just purchased the Nikon D5000 kit with the 18-55 and 70-300 mm lenses and still trying to figure out all of the bloody buttons. I upgraded from a Nikon 8700 which I still use for model aircraft photography.

And I have a very oldd Canon AE-1 for sale if you can find 35mm film.

Barney Old Dog learning new tricks
I've got the same setup. PM me if you've got any questions.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

all_ramped_up wrote:
Rowdy wrote:So.. it's time for a good telephoto zoom. I'm stuck between the canon 70-200f2.8 and the f4L with IS. Anyone care to comment? Wish I could afford the 2.8L IS II.... but thats some serious coin and some serious heft..
f4L IS would be the choice for me. unless you're doing a lot of action in lowlight, the extra stop of aperture won't be worth the additional coin. it's lighter and sharp as a tack. :)

Bought it :) Best coin I've spent on glass so far. why I didnt do it sooner is beyond me...

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

A good normal prime lens is also great to have. For a crop sensor... something ~30mm is good.

I've got a Mir-1V 37mm f/2.8 that's manual focus and it's fantastic. It's almost bang on to your unaided field of view so it's pretty much WYSIWYG shooting.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Nice shot E! I find I grab the 28 and the 50mm the most now.. How are you likin`those russian lenses

I didnt realise just how sharp this thing was gonna be.. (shot with the new 50 f1.4, which i also reallllyyy like)

enbt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by enbt »

Rowdy wrote:
My coffee mug:

Attachments
IMG_4556.jpg
IMG_4556.jpg (443.49 KiB) Viewed 22217 times
niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Rowdy wrote: Image
Ohhhhh someones bringing in L series lens money now! :rolleyes:

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Expensive as L.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Launchpad McQuack
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Launchpad McQuack »

Here's one for STL and those of you who like to take your gear off the beaten track;

What sort of bag/pack are you using to transport your expensive goodies?

I'm sniffing around for something to carry the SLR and the laptop (only 13" size) but most I've found are quite large and would be a little awkward hauling around with work....

Cheers

LP

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

Right now I'm using a small Camera Bag that just holds my 450D with the 70-200f4L on it and it has enough space for my 50/1.8, 37/2.8 and my YN467 Flash, Charger, USB Cable, Spare SD Card and pocket Tripod.

It's only now just getting to be too small for me but it's been on many a Twin Otter ride and fits behind the seat nicely.

Of course you can always drop some coin one a Lowepro pack and you can't go wrong with them.

enbt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by enbt »

I've got a couple of bags which I can choose from, depending on the mission. A big backpack which holds everything - nice to have everything in one place, but not always so portable or convenient.
If space is limited or I'm on a day trip I'll take a smaller bag which can hold a body with a telephoto lens attached, plus has room for whichever second lens I think I'll use and a couple basic accessories. If space is really limited I have an even smaller bag which can just hold a body and large lens and room for a filter and a few other basics.

A combination of a big bag to hold everything, plus a small bag to keep close by in the plane or for short trips, would be quite versatile. Lowepro bags are very good although I've had a few issues with zippers. I think most of the larger new ones have a space for a laptop.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Would you guys stop talkin' about your 'big' or 'little' bags :mrgreen:

Seriously though.. I bought an amazing backpack that fits all my gear, is super stealthy, incredibly comfortable and fairly space conscious. I'll post a pic when I get a better connection..

garf_II
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by garf_II »

hey, I guess this is part intro (new to AC-hello!), part response

any film shooters on here?

I shoot both myself, but mostly still using medium format film.

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

garf_II wrote:hey, I guess this is part intro (new to AC-hello!), part response

any film shooters on here?

I shoot both myself, but mostly still using medium format film.
Yes! Actually I recently started shooting medium format after being exclusively digital for a couple years.

I just got my first couple rolls back that I ran through a Lubitel 166V TLR and also acquired a 2x3 Sheet Film Graflex Century Graphic that I'll be using.

Even though the TLR had a light leak (easily found and sealed)... I am hooked on 120!

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Pics as promised of my camera bag..

Incredibly inconspicuous and zips from the `back`side. I`ve got my 70-200, 50mm, 28mm, 10-24, lensbaby, a flash, a stack of filters and a couple remotes in there and theres room for another small prime.

jetblast
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jetblast »

[quote="Rowdy"]I still havent figured out how to fix crooked shots in photoshop, so I cant help you there. [quote]

I know it might be late of a reply, but to staighten the image in PS, use the ruler, draw a line on the horizon or wherever to that would get the image straight, go in edit, image rotation and choose arbitrary. that will rotate your image as per the line you drew with the ruler. Then crop the image to get ride of the black (or whatever color is defined as your background).

Hope this helps.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Looking at getting some ND filters.. dont know too too much about them. Wanting mostly to blur water movement during daylight. Anyone care to shed some light (pun intended) on what I'm looking for?

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FighterPilot »

Rowdy, where'd you get that camera bag and how much did it set you back? That's going to be the next thing on my to-buy list for photography equipment.

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

Rowdy wrote:Looking at getting some ND filters.. dont know too too much about them. Wanting mostly to blur water movement during daylight. Anyone care to shed some light (pun intended) on what I'm looking for?

Cokin 'P' System.

Get the filter holder and the square filters. much more versatile than the screw on ones.

I got my hands on this "Landscape Photography" magazine for the Sydney-Port aux Basques Ferry ride that had talked a lot about ND and GradND filters. Might be able to dig it up at Chapters.

Youngback
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Youngback »

I'd agree. Go with the Cokin system. You can stack the filters at your pleasure and do some really cool blur stuff in bright daylight. If you can find it though. They are going out of business and their filters will be like gold soon.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”