Who's party is most closely alligned with your views . . .

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Who's party is most closely alligned with your views . . .

Post by bizjets101 »

This is 30 questions long and will show which party your views are most similar too,
and will show if your left, right, social or ???

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadav ... tecompass/
---------- ADS -----------

yyz monkey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Who's party is most closely alligned with your views . .

Post by yyz monkey »

Ended up pretty close to centre

The Theory of Flight - Because even after 100 years, we're still not sure it works!
Guido
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Guido »

Interesting... this actually put me closer to the Green Party than the NDP (whom I would normally vote for). Even more marginalization of my vote! WOO! :shock:

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

I fell off the screen to the right side.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

As Hedley would say..."I am 8 points right on Atilla the Hun"

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

They forgot 14 parties on there.

http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?se ... dex&lang=e

More media bias to discount other legitimate political parties in Canada.

Also, you can't do the poll unless you have "accept 3rd party cookies" enabled. Now after you do the poll, the CBC and some other people get your political bent to use as they see fit.

Like any poll, and that's what it is, really, some questions can bee seen as loaded or ambiguous. "Do you wish to abolish the Senate?" Well, as it exists now, yes. But I'd like it replaced with an elected Senate representing regions as well as a more proportional representation style House of Commons.

Oh well, it's still a rough benchmark if someone has no clue who to vote for. Not bad.

They told me I should vote Green. That's not cool. I bought a Green Party bumper sticker a few years back and after a car wash and a couple of rain storms, the eco-friendly vegetable ink ran off of it so it was illegible. I saw this as representative of an ideologically driven party that would cut off it's nose to spite the face. So unless Elizabeth May steps down and is replaced by a pragmatic tree hugger, I'm not sure I'll vote Green.

Kind of interesting little questionnaire though.

-istp :)

bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bandaid »

According to this Iggy is my man. Pure bullocks I say. And no, I will not vote for the Wiener with the dorky sweater vests.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

This is where I am, but I don't believe the Liberals are that close to center...

Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (29.3 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

The Tea Party wasn't an option...

However, on that scale I'm a bit right of Conservatives

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
Frank Gallagher
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Frank Gallagher »

The CBC obviously has skewed that site. They claim the Liberals are neutral on government funded daycare yet it was the Liberals who pushed the idea of government funded day care as opposed to the Conservative child care benefit. That issue should have pushed the Liberals even further left.

Remember the "Beer and Popcorn" reference.

Icebound
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Icebound »

bandaid wrote:According to this Iggy is my man. Pure bullocks I say. And no, I will not vote for the Wiener with the dorky sweater vests.

Of course not.

Charisma is always more important that values. :?

grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

Ruh roh...

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/Cana ... 98811.html
KINGSTON, Ont. — The CBC appears to have a new spin on the old joke about the answer to all multiple choice questions being "C". This time the answer is usually "G", as in Grit.

Queen's University political science professor Kathy Brock says the state broadcaster's Vote Compass online survey tool is flawed and tells people they're Liberal by default.
Just tried this... and pretty much yea. I answered what I actually believed, and I'm a liberal. I answered strongly agree to everything, and I'm a liberal. If I strongly disagree with everything, I'm a liberal. The only thing I can conclude is that they're tracking my votes over several sessions, and determined that I don't know what I really want, and am willing to for for or against anything based on a whim. In that case, I guess the poll is highly accurate, since it describes the Liberals to a T.

Oh, and when I pick all of the super-conservative racist asshole positions (no, you can't have an abortion, no more immigrants, @#$! bilingualism), it conveniently fails to display my position.

no sig because apparently quoting people in context is offensive to them.
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

The CBC obviously has skewed that site
What a surprise. Impartial reporting? Hah. $1.3B of our money per year to promote the Liberal party.

Reporters are such a joke.

Slats
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Slats »

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/201 ... h-no-clue/
Kelly McParland: The “big red tent” for people with no clue

The CBC has a “free educational tool” on its federal election website that offers to help voters identify which party they are closest to, based on their answers to a variety of questions.

It was “developed by political scientists” and already has 682,000 hits on it, which suggests there are a lot of Canadians uncertain about their political identity. Out of curiosity I gave it a try. I responded to all 30 policy questions by indicating no opinion whatsoever, choosing either “neither agree or disagree” or “about the same as now” on each of 30 questions. On questions about the parties and leaders, I picked the lowest score available when asked about trustworthiness, competence or suitability for the job. In other words, I indicated I have no opinions at all, and think the parties and their leaders all stink.
In conclusion, the “educational tool” reported I was closest to the Liberal Party
, and furthest from the NDP.

The funny thing is, it could be right. A key part of Michael Ignatieff’s campaign stump speech is to invite voters into “the big red tent”, the party that agrees with everyone, the party of “the centre”, where — no matter what your views — the party will claim to agree with you. If you’re just a big wishy-washy teddy bear with no particular opinions, who just wants to do the right thing and trusts the government to do it on your behalf, then the Liberals probably are the party for you.

There was a time when this worked to the Liberals’ advantage, but those days may have ended. As Mr. Ignatieff is finding on the campaign trail, it’s harder than usual to sell a party that just kind of wants to go along, keeping everyone happy. For one thing, it’s more difficult these days to identify the “happy” option when crafting policies.

Take a look at Mr. Ignatieff’s economic position. When the Big Recession hit two years ago, Mr. Ignatieff pressed the government to introduce an ambitious spending program to offset its effects. Since the Conservatives complied, he’s been attacking them for spending too much money. He’s in the unhappy position of promising to spend more, while denouncing the Tories as the biggest-spending government in history (which they are). On Tuesday he complained Canadians have “the worst of all possible worlds — they’ve got wasteful government, they’ve got undemocratic government and they’ve got a government inclined to cut the social programs they depend on.”

Notice how he says the Tories are “inclined” to cut social programs. He needs that qualifier because, in five years, the government has never actually taken an axe to social programs. In fact it spends more than ever, more than the Liberals ever did. Health care spending is even more out of control than it used to be, and Prime Minister Harper has stuck to a program of yearly funding increases negotiated by his Liberal predecessor.
So on the one hand Mr. Ignatieff has to criticize the government as “wasteful,” while urging even more spending. He has to denounce it for spending too much, while promising to spend more. And he needs to wrap it all in a promise the Liberals will be “prudent”, even though they won’t cut anything important.

It’s not a surprise the CBC’s educational tool would have a hard time making sense of this mish-mash, or that Canadians would need assistance in figuring out which party they agree with. At the moment, the political landscape consists of four parties trying to occupy the same ground on the left side of the spectrum: the Liberals, NDP, Bloc Quebecois and the Greens. That leaves the Conservatives as the default right-wing party, if only because they’re the only party that isn’t on the left. Harper’s team may not be very conservative by most standards (U.S. Tea Party activists wouldn’t let them in their front yard), but they’re all that’s left for anyone who thinks the “big red tent” is a refuge for people who want someone else to take care of them

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Interesting how they misplaced the Bloc on that chart, it should have actually fell into the bottom left quadrant.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
JakeYYZ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JakeYYZ »

It got me right. Evil Sweater Man!

Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

Ron Paul! Oops he does not work here. :oops:

How about those CONservative spenders??

“At 11 minutes and 25 seconds after midnight on March 18th, the Debt Clock will roll over the $562,881,000,000 mark – the previous record set in 1997. At that time, the government will have re-borrowed the $105 billion in debt paid down between 1997 and 2008 according to its current projections.”

That'll buff right out :rolleyes:
flyinggreasemonkey
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyinggreasemonkey »

I'm up in the air as to who I'll vote for, but i know these few things:
Harper is an idiot and whether he has a majority or minority government, this country will only get worse.
Ignatieff doesn't deserve to be PM after spending 35+ years in the US making US money teaching US students.

Worst case scenario: conservative majority with Harper back in the PM chair.

Best case scenario: Liberal minority WITHOUT Iggy in the top spot.

fingersmac
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fingersmac »

flyinggreasemonkey wrote:Ignatieff doesn't deserve to be PM after spending 35+ years in the US making US money teaching US students.
Actually, he only spent 5 years working in the US at Harvard University. Prior to that he spent 22 years in the UK undertaking a research fellowship at Cambridge University and working as a journalist, writer, lecturer and broadcaster in London. He also spent some time at Harvard doing his Ph.D too, so I guess he's probably spent about 30 years outside Canada, give or take.

AMM
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by AMM »

Return to “The Water Cooler”