Helmet

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Ecco
Rank 2
Rank 2

Helmet

Post by Ecco »

Hey guy's..I'm looking forward buying a helmet, need some very good advises on which a should go on with, Alpha eagle900 or gallet 250..

Also if you can point me we're the hell i can find a store that sells them around Quebec or Montreal.

All information will be appreciated

Thanks a lot..
---------- ADS -----------

r22captain
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Helmet

Post by r22captain »

the alpha and gallet come down to personal preference.
I like the 250 more after having an alpha for a month from a friend.

for me the sizing option gallet offered suited my fat noggin better. See if you can try both for a day or 2 and see which on you like better.

Alpha's are a bit cheaper.

Not sure of any Canadian distributor's for ether. I know Tiger Performance and Merit Apparel in the US deal gallet's and both have great service.
I don't think there are any dealers in Canada for either.

duramaxguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by duramaxguy »

i love my gallet......light and comfy........the only canadian dealer that I know of is vector aerospace but they charge an arm and a leg (something like $2400 + HST + shipping)....i got mine from tiger performance. They were great...good communication and fast shipping.

TM

All Sides
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by All Sides »

[quote="duramaxguy"]i love my gallet......light and comfy........the only canadian dealer that I know of is vector aerospace but they charge an arm and a leg (something like $2400 + HST + shipping)....i got mine from tiger performance. They were great...good communication and fast shipping.

TM[/quote]

Yup I also recommend the Gallet for the above reasons, it is especially good if you are going to be long lining. Merit Apparel was very helpful.

donnybrook
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by donnybrook »

I have a Gallet LH250 and love it. Got it from Merit and am happy with the service. If you buy one, consider getting the darker visor for the inner and the less utilized yellow (or whatever colour) on the outside. Don't scrimp on something you are gonna be wearing 8 hours a day!

Ecco
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ecco »

donnybrook wrote:I have a Gallet LH250 and love it. Got it from Merit and am happy with the service. If you buy one, consider getting the darker visor for the inner and the less utilized yellow (or whatever colour) on the outside. Don't scrimp on something you are gonna be wearing 8 hours a day!
Good info so far..whats the reason about the visor setting inner and out??

Again, anybody aware of a dealer in the Montreal area or Canada? I'm worried about snags and loosing it for weeks!!

What you guy's are recommending about booms cord vs flex boom?? And what else in term of layers and ear cups should i consider??
Thanks.

Photo's of yours will be appreciated too as I'm not event settle regarding the colors..
Cheers.

donnybrook
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by donnybrook »

I found the inner visor fits your face a lot better and there improves vision. Not sure if that's clear, but what I mean is there isn't anything interrupting your vision like seams, etc. The yellow visor is great for low contrast situations. I got the zeta liner, hush kit and longer coiled cord, and would recommend them, or the latest version thereof. The jury is still out on ANC, I believe?

Some people will swear by the Alpha, and I doubt you could go wrong with either, but the visor cover on the Alpha sticks out a lot further than the Gallet, so if you're longlining in an AStar it might be an issue.

One caveat is that I've had to replace a microphone and one earphone (free from merit) and had to repair the leather that surrounds the edge of the helmet, however the helmet is well used! (or WAS, before the recession....) With the current exchange rates it might be a good time to buy one.....

r22captain
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by r22captain »

Ya the outter visor has 2 fixed positions....the one furthest down hits my nose, the next one "up" lets in too much light. The inner visor can be set anywhere. Definitely get the dark visor on the inside.

Plus the outer visor doesn't retract the whole way and my shaded visor is getting scuffed up.

Herleston
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Herleston »

I have gallet helmet and I like it as it is very light to carry and very comfortable as well.
You can google the store online with specification of your required helmet.I am sure you will find a better manufacturer.

Major Bedhead
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Major Bedhead »

Hi Ecco, I just came across your post as I wondering what I should do with the helmet I have sitting in my attic.

I did

two years of crop spraying in a Pawnee, and regs said I needed a nomex suit and helmet.

I bought the helmet from the US - a military outfit that converted shells to civilian use - boom mike, detachable cord, earcups and plumbed to work with aircraft intercoms. The cord was 12" behind the head to a pigtail.

I paid $1800 for it five years ago ... if you're interested in at 1/3 the price let me know .. if not I'll put it up on Kijiji.

Cheers,

Peter

ps. The spray work was out of Rougemont, and I live in St. Lazare, so we're close.

Ecco
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ecco »

Well thanks for the input..

Right now i'm living with a fantastic HGU84, i love that helmet more than anything else I've tried before, it's light, solid, and compact witch is mandatory for sling work in Helicopter..

Are you the owner of that spay CIE based in rougemont ?? If so, recently(couple of weeks ago) I've sent you a resume..

I'll be glad to speak with you upon a job request for next season.

If your not the owner, my pleasure to chat with further anytime..

So long.

Eric.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”