Tailwind takeoffs and landings.

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

MichaelP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Tailwind takeoffs and landings.

Post by MichaelP »

My problem with a thread like this is it has a tendency to form absolutes in a persons mind
Agreed. Being sensible is all anyone can ask.
Instructors teach forced landings... Considerations should include wind, Sun and slope.
A small tailwind while putting a low Sun behind you, or an upslope field in front of you is good PDM in most circumstances.

Taking off or landing with a 25 knot tailwind when there's an option to do otherwise is bad PDM, I have never met such circumstances in my life as a pilot.
Please enlighten us.
I personally have landed 40 kts downwind when my alternate went flat after missing destination
I'd love to learn the circumstances of this. I think there's a lot of pilots on here who would wonder what the PDM was that justified this in any aeroplane. We all need to learn.
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I personally have landed 40 kts downwind when my alternate went flat after missing destination

I'd love to learn the circumstances of this. I think there's a lot of pilots on here who would wonder what the PDM was that justified this in any aeroplane. We all need to learn.
Sometimes you have no choice as weather has a way of changing rapidly with no warning, especially in the far north.

I once got caught in a bad situation and was forced to land with a fifty knot ninety degree X/wind and zero zero in blowing snow..... like Liquid Charley I knew it was doable...

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
SII
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SII »

it happens, That's what PDM is and I do accept all your appolagies

Winning
Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

When you lose your alternate due to bad forecast(wx that moved in and went from vfr to 100x and 1/2 mile and winds 40kts in 15 minutes) - missed destination and no gas to go anywhere else -- this can and will happen when you are flying in the Arctic - it's all about doing what you need to to survive - hopefully no one has to experience this but we all expose ourselves to this every day - aircraft are getting more dependable, wx forecasts little more reliable -- in this day and age there are a good percentage of pilots who might never experience an event like this or even an engine failure throughout their whole career - but there is always that chance - the day that it all unravels and we are making those types of calls and PDM is all you have -

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:

Return to “Flight Training”