Future AME Discouraged

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Future AME Discouraged

Post by robertw »

Do you honestly think there is a pat answer for this? Of course you don't. You're being tongue in cheek. Your cynicism prompted that response. If there was a pat answer, then every AME would be here X number of years making $$$. Fact of the matter is that not everyone can have those top $ jobs. There are not as many to go around as the lower paying jobs. The thing is, if you have a good reputation, you're more likely to get one.
---------- ADS -----------

ChallengerDan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ChallengerDan »

Pat Richard wrote:Im calling BS also.

The only way I'd see anyone getting that kinda coin is if they were an fantastic M, S, E(if you could hold that many ratings) combined, and they only needed a few hours sleep.
You should know better, Pat..... I'm not impressed with that one.
Get your M1 and M2..... then go through the CARs.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Meaning what?

What I've been witness to is that tc will not let you hold an M1/M2, E, and S simultaneously. M1 with an S, M2 with an E, M1and M2, etc, but not everything. This was four years ago and was straight from tc. Could've changed since then, but Im not a casual reader of Car's, so I'd be waiting for confirmation of this from QA.
As for "ratings", I was referring to type endorsements. Ok???

Obviously I should have been more clear in my writing for you Danny, but the point I was making was that for the aforementioned wage I would think the person would have to be a superwrench encompassing all attributes of the maintenance trade to be demanding, and getting, $85 a/hr.

http://mindflipbooks.ca/
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Actually, when you hold an M1, M2, you automatically get privileges for E and S. I use my M1, M2 license for signing off work under our AMO's structures rating.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
ChallengerDan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ChallengerDan »

iflyforpie wrote:Actually, when you hold an M1, M2, you automatically get privileges for E and S. I use my M1, M2 license for signing off work under our AMO's structures rating.

Exactly what I meant.

Chapter 566. That's a really short chapter, by the way. It says that once you are issued an M1 and an M2, you won't be issued any more rating other than balloons as you already encompass E and S work scope.
Ratings are one thing. Type endorsments are another. All semantics, anyways.

Most people know about this, so I'm just surprised you didn't know about it. But hey....no big deal.

I did get the point about being a super mech in order to get 85$/hr.
If theres job out there that do pay that high, they are not common. And they are either in ultra weird/dangerous conditions or reserved to the ultra-gifted/hardest-working-ever/no-life/jack-of-all-trades-AND-master-of-all individuals.
I don't think I will ever see those numbers!

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

It's the bell curve. Some guys do really good, some do really bad and either leave or continue for the 'love of aviation', 80% are right in the middle, making livable but mediocre wages in comparison to other skilled trades.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

After reading my reply, it seems to sound off a bit testy, which was not my intention, so apologies.

Anyway, back to the topic, I see there is some difference in opinions/facts. Up until the episode I witnessed I was of the same opinion as you guys, but I had it laid out by the dom as I previously posted. I also had another ame relate the same a few months later. So I don't know wtf is the current standard, and Im not currently suffering from severe enough insomnia to start thumbing through Car's.

If Im wrong, and that happens rarely :lol: , no problem.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 624 »

As stated, an M1/M2 encompasses all the licensing scenarios. But here's the thing. If you work for an AMO with a (example) structures rating, you can only hold an ACA for structures if you have the required experience.

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

624 wrote:can only hold an ACA for structures if you have the required experience.
Exactly.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Whatsa "Pat answer"???

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

What I meant by a "pat answer" was a standard response to a question. This was by no means a poke at you Pat.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

No problem, was just curious. :)

Wonderdog
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Wonderdog »

Get over it.... Great tool, then, fun again....Fine fish hook fixer...., then, have fun again.

SMcL.
hmmm...., have funnie. and her sister...

Cyclenut
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cyclenut »

624 wrote:As stated, an M1/M2 encompasses all the licensing scenarios. But here's the thing. If you work for an AMO with a (example) structures rating, you can only hold an ACA for structures if you have the required experience.
Great point, AND DON'T FORGET you must also be able to prove you have obtained the required "S" basic training. (which is different that the M basic training)

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/s ... s-2464.htm

A lot of people 'forget' the same thing about "E" endorsements, that you MUST have "E" basic training, and meet the experience requirement.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/s ... s-2552.htm

Just because TC won't issue any 'additional ratings' once you have an M1/M2 doesn't mean you don't need to prove Basic Training and Experience if you are ever called on the carpet. (TC or TATC or Civil Court) There are some AME's with M1/M2 who think they can just sign anything without thinking about what 'privileges' they actually have.

DrBoeing
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DrBoeing »

Back to the topic!!!!!!!

If you really like working on aircraft,then this may be the job for you. Be forewarned, if you sign on with a major, your first 10 to 15 years will be on steady midnights. If you can handle the mids, great, if you can not, you will be in for a world of hurt from sleep deprivation!
Pay is so so at best, get ready for working Christmas day and other stat holidays. If you get on a 4x4 type shift, you will love that. I have been on a 4x4 for years and seriously can not see myself going back to a Monday to Friday 9-5 routine. You will make some great friends who will likely end up being your best friends.
It will be hard on your family life as you will miss some of the things I listed above, plus if you have children, be prepared to miss some important events in their lives.
You will find bosses trying to force you to sign out aircraft that should not fly, stand your ground and do not let them bully you.
If you work the line, most pilots respect your opinion and trust what you say, a few need some air let out of their egos, but most are good people!
Keep track of every aircraft you work on, shite happens and you may be required to go back to your notes, even months later, I speak from experience.
Last but certainly not least, keep your wits about you, it is very easy to be injured in this profession. I was almost killed a few years back and am still to this day dealing with the fall out of that accident, lawyers are involved and a law suite is likely.

rubberboot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by rubberboot »

DrBoeing wrote:Back to the topic!!!!!!!

If you really like working on aircraft,then this may be the job for you. Be forewarned, if you sign on with a major, your first 10 to 15 years will be on steady midnights.
Not going to dispute any of the info you put in here, just going to point out that the "Major" cargo companies fix them during the day, and fly at night. Limited staff on nights, just for departures. Passengers never complain about the PSU not working in the AAA container there located in, or the fact that they are packed in like sardines. Never have to fix a seat tray. Also, if the aircraft is still equipped with a galley, pilots don't complain that the oven is dirty or doesn't heat well (etc) because they know that Management will just deactivate and/or remove it. Same for Lavatories - complain too often, replaced with a porta potty. NEF equipment. No hot looking Flight Attendants.... :(

Don't get me wrong, Cargo is no better or worse than Passenger, just different. Management style is still old school....

Here's hoping the old boys will get old and retire.

DrBoeing
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DrBoeing »

rubberboot wrote:
DrBoeing wrote:Back to the topic!!!!!!!

If you really like working on aircraft,then this may be the job for you. Be forewarned, if you sign on with a major, your first 10 to 15 years will be on steady midnights.
Not going to dispute any of the info you put in here, just going to point out that the "Major" cargo companies fix them during the day, and fly at night. Limited staff on nights, just for departures. Passengers never complain about the PSU not working in the AAA container there located in, or the fact that they are packed in like sardines. Never have to fix a seat tray. Also, if the aircraft is still equipped with a galley, pilots don't complain that the oven is dirty or doesn't heat well (etc) because they know that Management will just deactivate and/or remove it. Same for Lavatories - complain too often, replaced with a porta potty. NEF equipment. No hot looking Flight Attendants.... :(

Don't get me wrong, Cargo is no better or worse than Passenger, just different. Management style is still old school....

Here's hoping the old boys will get old and retire.
Very valid point!

pilotdreams
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotdreams »

I am an AME. I own my own home and drive a nice truck. I have a beautiful wife and a baby on the way. I have had a love for airplanes ever since my father took me to the abbotsford airshow when I was 5 years old. I fly airplanes as well as fix them. I'm happy with life.

How do you know when your half way through a date with a Pilot? When they say "enough talk about flying, lets talk about me!"
cramer604
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cramer604 »

:prayer:

Last edited by cramer604 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
DBA
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DBA »

pilotdreams wrote:I am an AME. I own my own home and drive a nice truck. I have a beautiful wife and a baby on the way. I have had a love for airplanes ever since my father took me to the abbotsford airshow when I was 5 years old. I fly airplanes as well as fix them. I'm happy with life.
...and what has that got to do with the topic?

Return to “Maintenance”